Ludum Dare

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ludum Dare 28 begins in a few days, and I can't seem to find any results in a search for "ludum" except something about a cat month...?

Ludum Dare is a worldwide competition that occurs every four months. The challenge? Creating a computer game from scratch based on a theme within a 48-72 hour period. That pretty much includes music, art, concept thrown together within a couple of days. Fast paced, yes. And some neat ideas come out of it.

Do you have any favourite Ludum Dare/post Ludum Dare games? I've listed a few that suit my taste below. Many of them are short and only take a few minutes to beat. I enjoy the convenience of browser based games, but the competition allows for both downloads and browser based games to be created.

There are screenshots in the posts. Text in quotations is the theme.

"Tiny World"

Fracuum
Planet 161

"Minimalism"

This Is Not A Minimalist Game
Leaf Me Alone (original entry is here but the links don't appear to work)
Persist

"Ten Seconds"

Timed Ninjas
Clockwork Cat
Exposure
Hyper Furball

Here's some post-compo versions with significant changes:

The Love Letter

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Ack... I've always missed the dates when the competitions are held.

Interesting story: One time I had made a flash-built submission, but ended up scrapping it when I still didn't have any music to put into it (and the art was below-average as well.)

I love the event though.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
You personally know the creator of Clockwork Cat? I really liked that one; it was really short but sweet.

Nope, there are no prizes for winning the compo. I think it says somewhere on their rules and guidelines: "Your prize is your product."