LoliLoli: Race to the Moonlight Party!

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
p177493-0-tumblrmyaqkwmr0v1rjfwgto11280.png

So this is a little secret project I’ve been working on for the past 2 weeks. It’s a small touhou-inspired danmaku game. The character art was done by whitepool, because I’m still not very good at drawing (and for other reasons).

You can download it here.

Also here’s a version for Linux (64-bit). It uses SDL 1.2 and the SDL_mixer and SDL_ttf libraries.

More screenies in the spoiler tags below:
p177493-1-tumblrmyaqkwmr0v1rjfwgto21280.png

p177493-2-tumblrmyaqkwmr0v1rjfwgto31280.png

p177493-3-tumblrmyaqkwmr0v1rjfwgto41280.png

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Well...

I can't really play it due to lack of a computer, but I can say that this looks very cute. And rather professional! Whitepool outdid themself with Paula's design, I think. :3

So it's like a take on Touhou, right? At least, that's what I could tell from screenshots. I'd love to try it sometime. ^_^

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
diph.php

Considering it's only one stage I can see why you made most of the design choices, the only thing that really bothered me was very short invincibility time after death + respawning into the middle of bullet patterns. Good jerb :mahin:

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This reminded me how much I need to play more Bullet Hell games...
Love the art style and visual effects, it's all very Touhou-esque, which is a really good thing, in my case. It's effectively difficult, so it definitely fits into its genre. I really like where this is going. I just wish that you didn't always respawn in the middle, right where the enemy is usually firing.
Still, really great.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Been here way too long...
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
secret project
dude you talked about it literally every day on IRC

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
dude you talked about it literally every day on IRC
It was secret to everyone who doesn't frequent the IRC (which was largely for the people on tumblrs I guess).
Nadojin said:
This reminded me how much I need to play more Bullet Hell games...
Love the art style and visual effects, it's all very Touhou-esque, which is a really good thing, in my case. It's effectively difficult, so it definitely fits into its genre. I really like where this is going. I just wish that you didn't always respawn in the middle, right where the enemy is usually firing.
Still, really great.
Thanks! I think respawning would be less of an issue if I increased the invincibility window maybe. I don't know if I'll be making more bullet hell games, but this was fun to make.
DoubleThink said:
diph.php

Considering it's only one stage I can see why you made most of the design choices, the only thing that really bothered me was very short invincibility time after death + respawning into the middle of bullet patterns. Good jerb :mahin:
Thanks. Most of the design choices were made to speed up development. If I were to make a future danmaku/shmup, I would like to try to focus on making the bullet patterns more complex and aesthetically pleasing, the ones in the game were sorta half-assed.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Will download when internet is back and I'm not playing Wii U. Thoughts will come then.

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:33 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Who cares about the lolis, I have lots of sexy point items to look at

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Been here way too long...
Fatih120 said:
am I the only one cringing at the Loli part
There is nothing wrong with some wholesome sexualization of prepubescent girls.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:11 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Actually the title is based on Lolita fashion. The 3 characters that appear in the game represent 3 subsets of lolita fashion: Gothic Lolita, Sweet Lolita, and Wa-Lolita (you can read more about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_fashion )

The title, along with the game as a whole, is sort of poking fun at Touhou though, given it's large cast of female characters.

I had a conversation about this sort of misunderstanding with the head character designer before the release of the game, but it was decided that it probably wouldn't be much of an issue on the whole.

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Fatih120 said:
am I the only one cringing at the Loli part
No. xD

But I kind of figured it was poking fun. I'll see if I can run it later.