List of things these forums need

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:41 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
MetaSeraphim said:
Why are you talking about me? I didn't even turn it on, I don't even know if I can turn it off.

And Jacob, I still have more than you at the moment.
People who could turn this on:
Welse
Shirofan
SP
Meta

People who didn't turn this on:
Welse
Shirofan
SP

People who would give Meta 5 rep out of nowhere:
Meta

Forums sadly do not run on magic.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
DoubleThink said:

p112537-0-boostercry.png

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:02 AM
/end
DoubleThink said:
People who could turn this on:
Welse
Shirofan
SP
Meta

How can I turn this on? I went looking for it and couldn't find it.

Unless you have magical access to my account and found it, why don't you turn it off?

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:34 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Moderators don't have access to that part of the site's workings.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM
/end
Well I am not an Admin so I don't see how I could do all this stuff you're talking about.

All normal members and Mods are limited to how much they can rep or derep someone a day and they also have a limit of having to rep or derep so many other people (depending on what it's set to) before they can rep or derep the same person. I also fall under that limit.

However Admins have no limit, they can rep or derep the same person as many times as they want. They can also go into the 'Edit User Profile' (something you have access too) and completely change the rep points of any member they want.

So if you want to tell me how I magically changed my rep, your rep, and anyone else's rep you think I changed without being an Admin, and without having access to the 'Edit User Profile' screen I would really like to know.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:19 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
You can change things like post character limits and forum style layout, and other options for vBulletin which I don't have access to. You have changed these things before. As far as I understand this is a vBulletin option, not an administrative one.

I don't have access to the rep history of people so I don't know who changed everyone's rep in such a short space, but it seems pretty clear to me and everyone else that it wasn't just a coincidence. Welse hasn't been online for a long time, SP did not do this and I seriously doubt that Shirofan would without at least mentioning it somewhere. I also have to wonder why you know how the Edit User Profile setting works if you can't access it.

I'm happy to accept another explanation, provided there is one.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:38 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
All I have to say is...

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for every last one of those -522 points.

It really means alot to me.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:44 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
whyme said:
All I have to say is...

Thanks everyone.

You are aware that there's a distinct possibility that at least a portion of those points could have been a handout, right?

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:46 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
It suits my image just fine.

I really have no reason to complain.

Thats why I'm thanking those who contributed.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:36 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
DoubleThink said:
You can change things like post character limits and forum style layout, and other options for vBulletin which I don't have access to. You have changed these things before. As far as I understand this is a vBulletin option, not an administrative one.

I don't have access to the rep history of people so I don't know who changed everyone's rep in such a short space, but it seems pretty clear to me and everyone else that it wasn't just a coincidence. Welse hasn't been online for a long time, SP did not do this and I seriously doubt that Shirofan would without at least mentioning it somewhere. I also have to wonder why you know how the Edit User Profile setting works if you can't access it.

I'm happy to accept another explanation, provided there is one.
Tell me again why is this such a big deal.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Well I'll say again: Forums do not magically change themselves, and Meta denies doing it. It was never agreed upon and was clearly doctored in some way, geared in a very plainly obvious direction. She has a history of making large-scale attention grabs and then denying them afterwards, so in the likely situation that she did actually do this, it's very unlikely that she's going to be in a position to do it any longer.

I'm not making a big deal out of it. I just want to know the truth, so a decision can be made in good time. I've e-mailed Welse and am waiting for his input, for now. Otherwise SP can turn it off, and we'll have to have a wonderfully subjective discussion about what to do.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:
If they did, I'd be the sole source of power. ;D
whyme said:
All I have to say is...

Thanks everyone.

You deserve every vote.
Hey, can we just leave the rep system on for, like, whyme and Ryu?
T-Jack said:
Tell me again why is this such a big deal.
It's not that it's a big deal.
It's just that it's unexpected and imbalanced.
As well, it serves no point to have it.

ANYWAYS.
IF it was Meta (we'll have to wait for another admin for proof), I deem this provides ample case for what I've been saying all along: Ineffective modmin is ineffective. (A point I stand by even if it wasn't MS, for more reasons than just this.)

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM
This Troper
DoubleThink said:
I'm not making a big deal out of it. I just want to know the truth, so a decision can be made in good time. I've e-mailed Welse and am waiting for his input, for now. Otherwise SP can turn it off, and we'll have to have a wonderfully subjective discussion about what to do.

DragonBoots said:
It's not that it's a big deal.
It's just that it's unexpected and imbalanced.
As well, it serves no point to have it.
Well, to me it looks like DT is on a personal crusade to find out who dared to give him a red square. And that's not what "trying to find out what's going on" looks like, that's what "trying to pin the blame on Meta" looks like.
Anyway: To me, this whole ordeal looks like someone is experimenting with the rep mechanism. I think that it's SP who's doing it, but that's just my two cents and I'm most likely wrong. Still, no point in arguing over this if it's going to go away soon.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Eh, maybe it's SkyWelse trying to guage how bad the forums are. :/

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:31 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
T-Jack said:
Well, to me it looks like DT is on a personal crusade to find out who dared to give him a red square. And that's not what "trying to find out what's going on" looks like, that's what "trying to pin the blame on Meta" looks like.
U so tuff

I'm afraid this simply isn't true, unless you're willing to label to me a liar. And in future I'll thank you not to ask me questions if you're just going to outright ignore the bulk of my response and tell me what I'm doing instead.

T-Jack said:
I think that it's SP who's doing it, but that's just my two cents and I'm most likely wrong.
It isn't, I talked to him myself last night.

DragonBoots said:
Eh, maybe it's SkyWelse trying to guage how bad the forums are. :/
He hasn't been online since September last year D:

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM
This Troper
DoubleThink said:
U so tuff

I'm afraid this simply isn't true, unless you're willing to label to me a liar. And in future I'll thank you not to ask me questions if you're just going to outright ignore the bulk of my response and tell me what I'm doing instead.
And I'll thank you for not beating aroud the bush and answering the questions in a more concise way. But if you wish me to, I'll respond properly to your whole post:

DoubleThink said:
Well I'll say again: Forums do not magically change themselves, and Meta denies doing it. It was never agreed upon and was clearly doctored in some way, geared in a very plainly obvious direction. She has a history of making large-scale attention grabs and then denying them afterwards, so in the likely situation that she did actually do this, it's very unlikely that she's going to be in a position to do it any longer.
This is part of what I meant by the "trying to pin the blame on Meta" line. Most of what I've read by you (I may be wrong, so I'm sorry if my opinion does not correspond with reality) was arguing with MS about whether she did it or not. Also, this answers my question rather well, but:

DoubleThink said:
I'm not making a big deal out of it.
Yeah? Then what was that first part of the post about?

DoubleThink said:
I just want to know the truth, so a decision can be made in good time.
What decision? About turning the rep system off? Well, most of the community already agreed that we would be better off without it. And what would knowing who did it all change anything?
Or is it about what to do with MS? Well... Okay, except I don't see much discussion about this...

DoubleThink said:
I've e-mailed Welse and am waiting for his input, for now. Otherwise SP can turn it off, and we'll have to have a wonderfully subjective discussion about what to do.
Well, if the solution is already underway, why the hell do you keep arguing about this? And I'm serious about this, I'd really want to know why.

DoubleThink said:
It isn't, I talked to him myself last night.
I had no way of knowing that, but thank you.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM
/end
DoubleThink said:
I also have to wonder why you know how the Edit User Profile setting works if you can't access it.

Just because I don't have access to it on this forum doesn't mean I haven't had access to it on other forums. I've been an Admin, a Mod, and have even ran my own vB forums. That's why I say I can't find it, either I am simply overlooking it, or whatever way Thomas set my account up as makes it where I can't get into that part of the forum.

DoubleThink said:
She has a history of making large-scale attention grabs and then denying them afterward

Really? Can name one besides the bumping old topics thing? And you seriously can't still be upset about that can you? It was well over a year ago.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:26 PM
Been here way too long...
"It has a long memory, and holds even longer grudges..."
"And is freaking awesome."

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:30 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
You know what this forum needs?

Less assholes.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Lol multiple accounts?

Apparently this is only a bad thing when Jacob does(n't actually) do it.

Otherwise I've discussed things with T-Jack privately, so at the moment I'm just waiting for some kind of resolution from an admin. But now SP's busy too so apparently "forum magic" is the party line :/ Of all the things I thought I'd have to deal with...