Let’s Face it, the Mac version is the best freeware version.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:00 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Dec 2, 2017 at 10:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mac pre-patched has been added to the site. This is my first time making a .dmg so notify me of any weirdness.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:29 PM
Mac pre-patched has been added to the site. This is my first time making a .dmg so notify me of any weirdness.
It seems to work fine.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:05 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
also:

what exactly does this mean?
if you're talking about making a shortcut, any os can do that.

Alright y'all it's time for some Mac knowledge.
What Yoshipilot is referring to is the fact that programs are presented entirely differently in macOS. macOS executables and the supporting files are all bundled into a single package, using the .app file extension which is normally hidden from the viewer. If you double click this bundle it automatically starts the executable, but has the added bonus of being 100%* self-contained. If you drag that app around the entirety of the supporting files come with, so you can't accidentally forget a profile.dat and lose your save.

This is great for the average user who doesn't care much for files, but you can actually dive into the package just by right-clicking and selecting "Show Package Contents." The file structure for Cave Story on macOS is almost identical to the PC version, outside of the executable itself.

---

More importantly, the macOS CS font owns bones compared to ugly ol' Courier New, and the instant adaptive resolution at a single key-press in-app is unbeatable. It's a straight up nightmare to play the original CS on a modern 1080p display because of the blurry scaling and tiny native resolution. I'm with Yoshipilot on this one, gamers.

*except for all the stuff stored in the equivalent of %appdata%, but those work regardless of program location.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
However save management is so much easier on CS for Windows because the file is right there. The unfortunate side effect of the Mac's illusion of app self-containment (yes I went there, because CS on Mac in reality is less self-contained than CS on Windows if you apply the same standards) is that save data has to be located elsewhere. With the CS Windows port I can put my CS folder on a memory stick and never lose my save data from one computer to the next.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 12:01 PM
However save management is so much easier on CS for Windows because the file is right there. The unfortunate side effect of the Mac's illusion of app self-containment (yes I went there, because CS on Mac in reality is less self-contained than CS on Windows if you apply the same standards) is that save data has to be located elsewhere. With the CS Windows port I can put my CS folder on a memory stick and never lose my save data from one computer to the next.
CaveSaveConverter is not that hard to use.

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It's a straight up nightmare to play the original CS on a modern 1080p display because of the blurry scaling and tiny native resolution.
Other than windows being an asshole by resizing my windows because smaller res I don't have any issues with it despite having a 1080p screen.

Dec 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
CaveSaveConverter is not that hard to use.
Isn't CSC a windows to mac save converter? I don't see how that relates to what I was talking about.

The biggest concern is that the save data has portability issues on mac. You are only allowed one instance of the save on a given computer. That is one save file shared by every iteration of the game on your computer. And it isn't contained within the .app folder so if you copy CS to another computer then you are forced to use their save file instead of yours.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:21 PM
Other than windows being an asshole by resizing my windows because smaller res I don't have any issues with it despite having a 1080p screen.
Yeah, but you know how in 480p windowed mode the pixels are sharp and exact? Well on the Mac version it’s like that for any resolution.

The biggest concern is that the save data has portability issues on mac. You are only allowed one instance of the save on a given computer. That is one save file shared by every iteration of the game on your computer. And it isn't contained within the .app folder so if you copy CS to another computer then you are forced to use their save file instead of yours.
Oh, I was confused about you point. I guess you’re right, but that’s never been an issue for me. The big thing about self containment is that you can’t permanently break the game by doing seemingly harmless things to the files.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:15 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Seemingly harmless things like deleting the data folder?

Also 2cents i only play in windowed mode anyway so that whole argument is moot for me

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:28 PM
Seemingly harmless things like deleting the data folder
No. I tried to apply a 60fps hack to CS freeware and half the time it corrupts the game. To be fair there is no such hack for the Mac version but that isn’t the game’s fault.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM
War criminal
Is it by the dll mod loader or by making the fps values from 20 to 17 in the BL Hacking Tool?

Dec 7, 2017 at 5:09 PM
Is it by the dll mod loader or by making the fps values from 20 to 17 in the BL Hacking Tool?
Via the BL hacking tool. Half the time it works and half the time it doesn’t.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:14 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Not sure how that's harmless either tbh. Patching files is a delicate operation.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:04 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Yeah, but you know how in 480p windowed mode the pixels are sharp and exact? Well on the Mac version it’s like that for any resolution.
Fullscreen on Windows is always sharp, it is just rarely proportional.

Oh, I was confused about you point. I guess you’re right, but that’s never been an issue for me. The big thing about self containment is that you can’t permanently break the game by doing seemingly harmless things to the files.
Of course you can, it just isn't as obvious to the average person. Of course if you are factoring in the average person then your CSC argument is moot.

No. I tried to apply a 60fps hack to CS freeware and half the time it corrupts the game. To be fair there is no such hack for the Mac version but that isn’t the game’s fault.
Given that modding is twice as painful on Mac I fail to see your argument.

Last edited: