Let’s Face it, the Mac version is the best freeware version.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So, you might be confused as to what I mean. The Mac version is the same as the windows version, right? Wrong. Let me explain.

1. The Mac version lets you switch between 240p to 480p and full screen without closing.
2. Activating the FPS counter is a lot easier.
3. It actually scans for game pads instead of just guessing which buttons do which.
4. It’s not confined to the cave story folder
5. The big one, full screen actually works without any blurry pixels.
6. The font is a lot better.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:48 PM
what exactly does this mean?
It means that that it won’t crash upon startup if you bring it out of the folder. Yes you can make a shortcut, but the Mac version not having that issue at all is almost a luxury. And also, yes it can be modded, but there just aren’t good modding tools for it.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't know why you'd actually need 1 or 2 for, don't know what you mean by 4, and 5 is just dependent on your hardware, it probably worked pretty consistently when the game was first released but it's been a long time since then.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:01 PM
I don't know why you'd actually need 1 or 2 for, don't know what you mean by 4, and 5 is just dependent on your hardware, it probably worked pretty consistently when the game was first released but it's been a long time since then.
IDK, I use 1 and 2 all the time. Maybe I’m weird. Also, “Dependant on hardware”? Those 2 are applicable for anyone nowadays. The big thing is that you don’t have to play in a tiny window to avoid blur. I feel like CS Mac should get more mod support than it does.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
1. The Mac version lets you switch between 240p to 480p and full screen without closing.
This is probably the best point I see here, even if it matters not for me because I suck and play on fullscreen.

2. Activating the FPS counter is a lot easier.
This makes a good port how? Why would you know the FPS of a 2004 game anyway?

3. It actually scans for game pads instead of just guessing which buttons do which.
It isn't a guessing game, actually! Each controller button has a certain number assigned, although you may need to skip some. There's a few sources out that that show these numbers.

4. It’s not confined to the cave story folder
Cave story isn't the only game that would break if you put the .exe in a different place than where it's files are located, especially for games that do not install. :v

5. The big one, full screen actually works without any blurry pixels.
I feel like this is just dependend on what system you use really, I have no issue on my end.

6. The font is a lot better.
This can be changed and is a case of opinion nonetheless.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac port has been made much later than the last official version of original cave story anyway. Plus modding on the mac isn't really a thing I see happening (because who still plays vanilla cave story anyway :p).

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:25 PM
Plus modding on the mac isn't really a thing I see happening (because who still plays vanilla cave story anyway :p).
Wait I’m confused, how would nobody wanting to play vanilla cave story hurt modding? It would only help it.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wait I’m confused, how would nobody wanting to play vanilla cave story hurt modding? It would only help it.
Oh yeah lmao I seem to have worsed it incorrectly. I meant more hat people these days only play cs for the mods, and never really play vanilla these days unless its a new port and has flashy new things.

Nov 23, 2017 at 3:27 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Tbh mac is cuz that’s what I use lol, except it says I can’t use the English patch on the file, so I’ve played in Japanese, but I’ve played through English so ik what they’re saying mostly

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:19 PM
War criminal
Nov 23, 2017 at 4:22 PM
I actually haven’t, but I’m already in last cave in the Japanese version... I’ll probably give it a try anyway though, it would probably help

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:32 PM
Have you tried the prepatched version that's readily available in the main site?
Pretty sure the Mac version has no prepatched version

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:15 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
7. everyone hates macs

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:05 AM
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:49 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
it's simultaneously referential to the constant and petty battle between mac and pc users and the numbering rule used in the original post
is it funnier now that you understand it

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:32 AM
it's simultaneously referential to the constant and petty battle between mac and pc users and the numbering rule used in the original post
is it funnier now that you understand it
I don’t really think it matters what device you use, were here to talk about cave story are we not?

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:09 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
False; anything on Mac is bad, including Mac.

:^)))

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator