Learning ASM

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Really, this has been in my mind for a while. If I want to learn assembly, what language should I start first to get the basics? I don't want to be a script kiddie who don't even know what he is doing, so I want to learn all the basics to programming.

My current plan right now is trying to learn C, then maybe learn a bit more about hardwares and binary, then onward to ASM by the members in this forum.
Or should I maybe try Java first?

Please advise.

(Also if this is a repeat thread please tell me, I already manually searched and I can't find anything liike this but "Assembly sucks when you start")

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
http://www.cavestory...story-assembly/
I got that from the helpful thread index @ modding general discussion. there are a few more ASM-related threads in there that may prove useful.

If you're interested in learning about assembly seriously, then C would be a good place to start as C is basically a step above ASM in the heirarchy of abstraction. I wouldn't recommend java as there are a lot of things in that to hide the low-level mechanics of the code and it may possibly even enforce some habits that would be detrimental to writing effective assembly code (most noteworthy being garbage collecting)

Of course I think it's entirely possible to start right out in assembly if you take some complementary study of computer architecture and fundamental programming principles like functions, variables, memory, etc. as those are generally transferrable between most languages.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Been here way too long...
It's also not beyond comprehension to just start with assembly. That is, you don't need a higher level language in your repetoir fist.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Lace is right. However, it may be nicer to start with a higher level language.

If you have very little programming experience. I suggest the following transitions:

Python 3.3
Java 7
C++
C
x86 Assembly
Get your EE degree from MIT

Start with the top. Python is easy to learn and is very powerful. Java is slightly more powerful but harder to learn. C++ is very useful and very fast. C is harder to learn and is simpler than C++ (no object / class system). Assembly is the hardest to learn but you can hack Cave Story with it.

Of course, please read Runelancer's ASM threads and any tutorial threads on Assembly that you can find.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It's also not beyond comprehension to just start with assembly. That is, you don't need a higher level language in your repetoir fist.
I learnt basic z80 ASM long before tinkering with C++; if((you have some programming || scripting experience) && know enough to use a hex editor) { then you have all you need in theory; }

;P