League of Legends

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There is no content that costs money in League of Legends that you can't earn through free gameplay, aside from useless character skins, which dint affect gameplay in any way. This is why it's freeware. Just like tf2 is freeware, you can buy items, but you can get them normally through free gameplay.
It was rather short-sighted of you make a judgement based on a comic that doesn't even specifically tell you that League of Legends has content that is only accessible through purchase. Hell, Cave Story more shareware by your measure, it is free in it's entirety, but there are a few extras that cost money that actually do change gameplay.

Requesting a thread move from a mod who's judgement skills rely on more than Penny Arcade please.

EDIT: And no, WoW is not freeware at all, unless you count a 14-day trial freeware.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:52 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
cultr1 said:
There is no content that costs money in League of Legends that you can't earn through free gameplay, aside from useless character skins, which dint affect gameplay in any way. This is why it's freeware. Just like tf2 is freeware, you can buy items, but you can get them normally through free gameplay.
It was rather short-sighted of you make a judgement based on a comic that doesn't even specifically tell you that League of Legends has content that is only accessible through purchase. Hell, Cave Story more shareware by your measure, it is free in it's entirety, but there are a few extras that cost money that actually do change gameplay.

Requesting a thread move from a mod who's judgement skills rely on more than Penny Arcade please.

EDIT: And no, WoW is not freeware at all, unless you count a 14-day trial freeware.

The point is that it has a cashshop, mostly.

I have a problem with calling it freeware since games like to be like "hey I'm free, but if you want THIS you have to cough up some monies". This game still operates on that same principle (that's what makes it profitable). I don't hate games like these, I just hate this gimmick.

But if it means that much to you then I'll move it.

Also yes it is, read this: http://www.shacknews.com/article/69096/world-warcraft-free-to-play

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:53 AM
Please do :(
And huh, guess you're right about WoW, but I wouldn't count it as freeware on the basis that it restricts 95%+ of the game in terms of experience, basically like a trial would. Neither League of Legends nor Maplestory do that, unless Maplestory has undergone some serious changes.

My previous question still stands though: does anyone here care?
Might as well delete if no one is interested.

EDIT: I just lost like 7 posts, did somebody accidentally disable posts counting in the Freeware games section?

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
In an effort to pick up conversation in here, is there any particular lol topic that can be discussed?

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM
Wu Kong deeeuuuugh

But nobody cares besides us, I'd drop the thread if I were you.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Dominion is in open beta.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:06 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Landonpeanut said:
Dominion is in open beta.

Open beta? It looks fully released to me. I mean it works fully.

(also starting playing LoL for a month already ^^; )

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
xristosx said:
Open beta? It looks fully released to me. I mean it works fully.

(also starting playing LoL for a month already ^^; )

Oh, then you should friend Hintak, you know, if you want to be cool and all.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The only thing I know about LoL is that two of my acquaintances were rather heavily addicted to it. xD

cultr1 said:
Private Servers.

Personally, the fee never really bothered back me when I played it; seeing as how i'd just sell my gold, and then turn over 4-6 times more than what the monthly sub would bleed me for.

May 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Hoxtilicious
I wonder; does anybody besides me still plays this game from time to time? Particularly on EUWest?