LEAF X MD - HUZZAH (Balrog's Theme Remix)

May 6, 2009 at 4:57 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I found a remix of 0000! It has a video and everything!
Okay, not really from Cave Story, but it's the same general idea.

May 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
*sigh* Where did this thread derail to...

Anyway, KuroKun, thanks for the fav over at NG! =)
And I checked out the first track of your MySpace and liked it much. Can I remix it sometime in the future? You'll get mandatory credit obviously, but I just need permission ^^

I'm wondering what I should compose next really...some ideas I have are to remake "Town Of Leaves", "A Home To Call My Own" or "Ground Zero". Another is to make something new like a remix of Scorching Back or make a Moonsong metal ballad type song. This is all of course for when I don't already find something to do...hmm =/

EDIT:
Sorry, of course I have to mention exactly what I'm referring to. "Midnight Wind". I just fav'd it over at NG XD

May 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
rtnario said:
Anyway, KuroKun, thanks for the fav over at NG! =)
And I checked out the first track of your MySpace and liked it much. Can I remix it sometime in the future? You'll get mandatory credit obviously, but I just need permission ^^

Everybody loves that one xD no idea why. Only one person said another song was better than the other so far.:rolleyes:

Yes you may thanks for asking in advanced. I'm actually quite curious on what you will do with it.

May 12, 2009 at 2:57 AM
May 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I just listened to that remix That was pretty heavy, dood. o__o

May 12, 2009 at 5:37 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
KuroKun said:
I like it. Its very soothing... Ack your 16!? I feel ashamed xD. Just curious do you play any instruments?

Thanks, but remember to give yourself a pat on the back too since Midnight Breeze would never have existed without Midnight Wind. ^^

Also, I don't think age matters much in the world of music. It's the time, effort and hard work put in understanding the music you hear and like, and the way it's expressed through own thoughts and views of what melody and harmony is. Sounds fancy, but true. XD

And since you asked: I'm a bassist & a flutist who can play the recorder & the guitar, with a bit of knowledge of piano and an even smaller bit of it for violin. :(

...no, not at the same time.

Moddex said:
I just listened to that remix That was pretty heavy, dood. o__o

Awesome, thanks! If you like heavy remixes, then you should like the rest of my music collection in general. XD

May 12, 2009 at 7:46 AM
rtnario said:
Thanks, but remember to give yourself a pat on the back too since Midnight Breeze would never have existed without Midnight Wind. ^^

Also, I don't think age matters much in the world of music. It's the time, effort and hard work put in understanding the music you hear and like, and the way it's expressed through own thoughts and views of what melody and harmony is. Sounds fancy, but true. XD

Well its just ive been playing the piano since middle school... I feel i should at least be a little better at that than what i am now. Plus having a girl who is about five to ten years old and composing music like mozart o.o

Eh oh well take what you have and i guess improve it as you go. No sense in complaining as that really gets nowhere. xD

xD peace xD

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:40 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
:(*drollz excessivleh* nice. whoa...

Jul 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Thank you so much for being awesome.
WINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWIN

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:59 AM
Thanks immortalshippo, and Mr. Fist, my monitor allows me to see hidden text over there...XD

Although I keep wondering why this remix gets more noticed then my Cave Story War one o_O

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:38 PM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
rtnario said:
Thanks immortalshippo, and Mr. Fist, my monitor allows me to see hidden text over there...XD

How can your monitor allow you to see that? It's the exact same color as the background...

lolthemes
p19858-0-chinfish.gif

May 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM
No, that isn't how it's done. you're supposed to go 'O I C WUT U DID THAR!'

May 18, 2010 at 8:30 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
rtnario said:
Although I keep wondering why this remix gets more noticed then my Cave Story War one o_O

Probably because this one has a thread unto itself, while the other one you just posted in the remix project thread, which not everyone follows.

May 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
rtnario said:

That one seems like way too much of a ripoff of polar star overdrive if you ask me.

Sure, you said you were inspired by it, but it's like he beat you to the punch and you tried anyways.

Plus I think Joren De Bruin (the guy who made polar star overdrive) did it better anyways. Plus his had some awesome original solos.

It didn't sound like you did much that his remix didn't already do, and his did more I guess :p

May 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM
"Huzzah!"
The remix is pretty good.
Even though this was old, I had just watched the RE4 movie trailer, and when it got to the dramatic part with the metal and chorus...
O.O

May 19, 2010 at 1:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Mike73 said:
The remix is pretty good.
Even though this was old, I had just watched the RE4 movie trailer, and when it got to the dramatic part with the metal and chorus...
O.O

Yeah but Cave Story War just sounds VERY similar to Polar Star Overdrive, and in essence feels like a rip off IMO.

Polar Star Overdrive was made first by the way, and if you want to listen to it to compare then here's the OCremix link: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01825/

It just didn't feel like he bringing anything new, since this was already made.

[EDIT]: I guess it isn't so much that it's a rip-off that bothers me (since it's not really), it just does the same thing that polar star overdrive does for me, and I already have polar star overdrive. Plus polar star overdrive has some cool solos, and ends on a different chord than most remixes of last battle end in, making it sound just a little more unique.

Oh and I liked this remix (Huzzah) a lot, I'm surprised it doesn't have a better rating on newgrounds.

May 20, 2010 at 2:15 AM
"Huzzah!"
Actually, I was talking about 'Huzzah'...

Polar Star Overdrive is pretty good though. That was actually thew first ever remix I ever heard for Cave Story.

May 21, 2010 at 12:27 AM
Same.
/10chars.

May 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM
@immortalshippo
Well, It's almost a year too late to change that now isn't it XD
Oh, and Polar Star Overdrive is the first remix I've ever heard from Cave Story as well.

@Wedge of Cheese
Phoenix: OBJECTION! But yeah, I minded that a year ago and now I don't. ^^;

@Mikey73
Haha, thanks! Maybe I'll try that sometime and see if I'll go O.O myself :D

@GIRakaCHEEZER
Technically speaking with all things considered, you're right that he did in fact beat me to the punch but I tried anyway. :D

I don't know about your musical background or preferences at all, but the reason I created Cave Story War even though a far superior remix already exists is based purely on my preferences. I'm a heavy listener of power, symphonic and progressive metal so naturally I'd want a remix that displays those characteristics. I'm talking about the key differences that make me love all those genres so much. Normally the usual listener wouldn't exactly note the said minor differences not unless they're big fans of the genres like I am. To help you out, I've noted the positives and negatives the way I see it (also it's probably gonna make my OWN remix look bad I predict XD):

Polar Star Overdrive
+ THE SOLOS.
+ THE KEYBOARD SOLO.
+ Variation in drum patterns and fills
+ Variation in song key
+ Amazing stereo width
+/- Mixing, mastering and overall production allows all instruments to be heard, but the rhythm guitar lacked mids for me and too less emphasis on the rapid palm-muted riffs
- Some great melodies from the original weren't used or modified
- According to Joren de Bruin's description himself, he was going for a more power metal sound like Stratovarius; I didn't hear Stratovarius influence in this song and I'd know since I do like Stratovarius very much :p

Cave Story War
+ A solo right at the start
+ Emphasis on rhythm and palm-muted riffs
+ Retained most all melodies from the original and turned it into guitar
+ Use of piano and strings, along with the synths (symphonic metal influence for sure)
+/- Mixing, mastering and overall production gives a very powerful low end, but not all instruments are hearable
- That solo in the start is pretty much the only solo
- Main melodies of the songs played by the two lead guitars become barely hearable when fountains of double-bass appear
- Lack of amazing stereo width :rolleyes:
- Bass is too weak
- Bass drum takes up too much of the low end especially during the most prominent fountain in the chorus

In the end, his is technically better, more varied, OCR-approved and probably generally preferred to most listeners. But mine will definitely appeal to fans of the genres I'm inspired by, to a point where they could possibly prefer it over Polar Star Overdrive, but ONLY because of the said differences.

In summary it all boils down to one saying: "To each, his own." Thanks for reading all that, and I hope I made it easier for you to see why I made Cave Story War even exist in the presence of a generally better remix. <kurostyle>xD peace xD</kurostyle>

And thanks for liking HUZZAH even though it's a pretty old remix and more of a transition from my old overall sound to my newer one. :)

Last edited by a moderator: