Kanpachi Story Beta 3! (hax is orange man)

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:51 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Jul 24, 2015 at 5:12 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ok thanks guys. Yea I was thinking about doing something with the Labyrinth shop but I should have closed it off for this demo.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:25 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Weetsy said:
Its a bobber. I may change it to a hook later on tho

What if... you used a bobber and a hook?

Also, I would like to help make this mod. Unfortunately, I can't do art and, even though I can make music, I don't know how to use Organya (PXTone for the win). Let me know if there's something I can do to help.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:26 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I played the new demo. Some things:

You forgot to add Kanpachi's facepic for the first few times he talks.

When you exit the "Labyrinth M" area, the "Labyrinth Fight" music keeps playing in the other areas.

Also, the Labyrinth enemies (especially the Fire Whirrs) need to be nerfed. It's way too easy to die, especially with the Level One fishing rod.

"If it weren't for the grating, you could get through. Go in anyway?" This makes no sense. Also, shouldn't the Core Room and the Dark Place be completely flooded?

Okay, woah, now we're making no sense. The core should not be here. And EPSECIALLY not with 7HP and a short-range gun. It's ridiculous. AND you get the Booster for no reason at all.

Insta-death spikes. And they only do ten damage.

I just did that whole last bit of the Waterway, and now it's Ogre with no save point. *cries*

Altogether not bad, the TSC is very good, but it's a bit difficult with only 7HP. I didn't even try to beat the core without a trainer.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:31 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Semi-related question: Was Kanpachi's gender ever confirmed? Is it a regular masculine name?

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:47 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
PhantopCS said:
Semi-related question: Was Kanpachi's gender ever confirmed? Is it a regular masculine name?
Well, Kanpachi is actually the name of a Japanese fish primarily used in sushi. So the answer to your question is: No. We don't know if Kanpachi is male of female, and if I recall, none of the characters mentions them.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:57 AM
On the cave story wikia it refers to him as a guy so I just assume that's what he is.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:03 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
your first mistake was referencing the cs wiki

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Glitches n' stuff I found

1. You can get the Snake in the labyrinth (unless that was intentional, which I imagine it's not)

2. "oooooh rekt" is not something I can see Kanpachi saying

3. I think the Fishing Pole is over powered.

4. The booster is virtually useless in the demo so why even fight the core

5. In the Plantation you can trigger events (like finding out the exit is caved in) out of order by exploring, which the player is inclined to do. Idk if this was your intention tho

and maybe some other stuff idk i'm lazy

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM
Based Member
PhantopCS said:
It was implied that Kanpachi is male in a certain bit of dialogue. If you talk to Mahin in the Mimiga Village after Toroko has been kidnapped, then:

In the AGTP translation he said:
What? Toroko's been kidnapped? Well, that's no good. Now the only girl left in the village is Sue...
In the NICALiS translation he said:
HUH? Toroko has been kidnapped? Bah... Now the only girl left in the entire village is Sue.
We can therefore assume that Kanpachi is male.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:54 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
I never even suspected he was anything other than that. But this is off topic (sorry Noxid, didn't mean to do your job).

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:24 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Also, Kanpachi is generally a male name, or at least I've only ever seen it used for male characters before. I'm not sure if it's an actual name a person would give their kid in real life, but... it means "Great Amberjack", a type of fish. He was probably named this due to being the fishing Mimiga.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:13 AM
Veteran Member
How do you get past the dark place? It won't let me enter the mouth.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:38 AM
scrungy
Aar said:
Also, the grammar is pretty bad. I'd advise checking it over before releasing any more demos.
I'd advise you fix this issue for your next release, it's one of the only things I haven't seen any progress on.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:46 AM
Camero said:
How do you get past the dark place? It won't let me enter the mouth.
DANG IT :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I waited like 6 hours this morning for all of the versions to finish uploading. -sigh- Ill fix it tho.

Also what parts have the worst grammar? Sorry its things I don't notice cause uh. eh

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:09 AM
Veteran Member
It only takes me a few seconds to upload a version of The Donald Trump Cake Escapade.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:03 AM
Camero said:
It only takes me a minute to upload a version of The Donald Trump Cake Escapade.
I know. My internet sucks so the mac port bundled with wine is like a 300MB file....

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:15 PM
scrungy
Weetsy said:
I know. My internet sucks so the mac port bundled with wine is like a 300MB file....
If people want to play your mod on OS X, I guarantee they'd rather download the Windows version and use Winebottler. It's better than downloading unnecessarily huge files that may/may not work properly.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:36 PM
Veteran Member
When are you planning on fixing the dark place doorway?