Just how much am I missing out on? *Probably Spoilers*

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:04 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
So some of you might remember me as the one who posted one of those "should I restart my game" topics, (Yeah, I've now noticed how common those are. :D ) so I took everyone's advice and continued through the game, I beat it, and it was great, so I started a new game after the fact, and did ALL the requirements for the good ending... I have had it saved at the safe house before the Misery battle for over a month now...

I think I'm maybe a little over sensitive, 'cause for whatever reason the 'Sacred Grounds' has me stuck, I haven't been able to get myself to just play it. I've ALWAYS had an issue with things relating to that, they sort of bother me, more so now even than they used to. I want to see the good ending, and beat the game and all that, but I chickened out at the last minute.

So my question for YOU is, how much am I missing out on if I stop playing at that point, and never go farther? I've seen all the other places, and both of the other endings. I've tried the Spur as Well as Machine Gun, and I could always start over again and try the Snake without finishing. How much more can there be anyway? What do you think, I'm I really missing out here? Or is it not really a big deal? (Honest opinions please!) :D

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:09 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You miss one of the best tracks of the game. Also, Hell speedruns are what add to the replay value by a ton (you need the Nikamaru Counter to time yourself). And by chickening out, you will never get the complete pleasure out of the game. Even I stopped trying to beat Hell when I got killed on my 999999th try, but after trying my hands on minimal items for a bit, I decided to give it another go and beat the game. :D

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Story wise, you are not missing that much. I mean Ballos/Hell's story seems to be part of a larger picture which makes it *very* important and yet this part of the story seems like an unrelated fraction of the game since it is only brushed upon now....
The ending scene is lackluster in my opinion, although it is unforgetable lol
Also any sequel mods that follow this ending might not be appreciated without beating it...

Gameplay wise, you are missing one of the most interesting boss battles out there; and for me when I first beat Ballos it was a total YES FINALLY, IT WAS WORTH IT! moments lol Since I had played through hell and Ballos many multiple times without success... There was a large sense of accomplishment when I finally won.

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Hell.

Is the most amazing level in Cave Story. Period.

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Mmmm, so I think I'll play it then, but every time I start the game up, for some reason I just can't. I've watched numerous youtube videos and I see that it's not even that long, nor that scary, so why I can't is beyond me... Weird... I'll keep trying! And I'll remember to mention it here if I do! :o

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Whadya mean? Can't beat it or can't take the leap of faith through the hole in the ground?

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Man, it's a game level. Don't think, just go for it. What have ye to lose?

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:32 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Actually right after I posted that, I played it, got to Ballos then died. (HAHA, as much as I would like to leave it at that, no, it was probably like the 20th try.) And it's not that I was worried I'd lose, I just mentioned I get freaked out by that sort of thing, but after actually playing it, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully I'll beat it sometime. :)

It really stinks how there's no healing point before Ballos though, glad I didn't waste my Life Pot on the Undead Core. :D

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Absolute Zer0 said:
Actually right after I posted that, I played it, got to Ballos then died. (HAHA, as much as I would like to leave it at that, no, it was probably like the 20th try.) And it's not that I was worried I'd lose, I just mentioned I get freaked out by that sort of thing, but after actually playing it, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Hopefully I'll beat it sometime. :)

It really stinks how there's no healing point before Ballos though, glad I didn't waste my Life Pot on the Undead Core. :D
If you've used up too many missiles on the Undead Core, play that again and do most of the damage with the Spur (if you have it). Try to reach hell with your missile slot full. If you want a save of the Undead Core fight, just tell me your weapon combination and I'll post the profile.dat here or by PM to you.

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
PLAY. IT. ESPECIALLY IF YOU DID NOT RETURN MR. LITTLE.
IT R ROX0RZ LEVURL FUR SW33T TUNES N THRILLZ.
Hope I was convincing. :)

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:37 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
WarriorX said:
IT R ROX0RZ LEVURL FUR SW33T TUNES N THRILLZ.
Hope I was convincing. :)
GAH! STOPPIT!

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:32 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
NUR. SPKKING LIEK DIS IZ KEWL.

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Roonil Wazlib said:
If you've used up too many missiles on the Undead Core, play that again and do most of the damage with the Spur (if you have it). Try to reach hell with your missile slot full. If you want a save of the Undead Core fight, just tell me your weapon combination and I'll post the profile.dat here or by PM to you.

That's okay, I reached the Heavy Press with maximum missiles and used them all on that, should I not have? :)

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:26 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Don't use them ALL on Heavy Press. Use some on him, then some on Ballos 3rd form (spinny wheel of doom) but save at least nine for Ballos fourth form.

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:14 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Don't forget to break the Doctor's statue for his secret stash!

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
What secret stash? Nothing I read said anything about that...

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:57 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Absolute Zer0 said:
What secret stash? Nothing I read said anything about that...
Because it's a *secret*! :)

But, yeah I didn't know about it either until later, but you can get a few extra items if you break the statues... Sometimes it can give you the edge you need to survive...!
[If you break the statues be prepared for a surprise..!]

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Personally, I find the best way (time-wise, at least) to use the missiles is...

1) Level them up to level 2 in the 1st room, then leave them alone.

2) After upgrading them for the +24 missiles, blast the crap out of Heavy Press solely with the lv2 missiles.

3) Do whatever you like come Ballos; best bet is to try leveling them up to 3, and blasting the crap out of him come the last part.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:56 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
"And now we come off-topic into to world of Hell-beating strategies."
:)