Once we build a testing stage, should we upload it?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Depends on the content. (If so, an explanation would be nice)

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well I'd be lying if I said I didn't know how you feel...
*Ahem*
Both programmers I've had on the team are both really big LoL fans, so it can be quite the distraction for them...
Here's a word of advice:
If you know them in real life, then good luck trying to get off playing LoL, especially if they're addicted.
If they're someone you only known through online job application though...try negotiating. I wouldn't fully recommend this strategy though, as the programmer is crucial to the progress of any game. If they leave, boy, the developer's in trouble.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Have any idea to force him to do his job? Like say, threatening? It might be a bit mean, but it could be worth a try.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
because threatening is always the right way to go about doing something, of course! ^_^

Especially if it means one less person playing LoL. That's always a plus.
On a more serious note, you've obviously poured lots of effort into thinking of this game, so try to explain to him that it's important to you, and that it's fun, and make up some stuff about how you'll both be rich and famous or something. Should work out.

Wow I'm bad at being serious.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Yeah, I'd say that's more than a start!

good to hear the project should be getting up to speed, I'm looking forward to the latest update that may occur. Good luck!

PS: I'm still curious as to which python libraries he's using, so if you could tell me that'd be great.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:54 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey! So I'm the programmer of the game, I'm still learning some languages but I am going to be most fluent in Visual Basic for a while. I am a League of legends addict so that will probably get in the way a bit XD. I have not had the chance to mess around with python yet, but I have gotten some recommendations to check it out. I know I'm not the best person for this job, but it would be a nice challenge and it will give me something to do XD. I just made an account on the forums here but I'll try to be active to answer any programming questions to the best of my ability.

~Bio

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:18 AM
Perpetually out of it
Welcome, along with Halien too, both of you seem to be very capable developers.
So I see you have teemotis...
Good luck with the programming by the way!

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:55 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Halien_Abrack said:
:sun: Now why would I do that? He is my friend, after all.
Uhh... I guess "threaten" was too harsh of a word. .~.

What I meant was basically what MrLog said. Sorry, maybe it's because I'm used to friends who "joke" around with me.

Anyways, I'm quite eager to see how the game will turn out.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:41 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
This looks very promising. I like a lot of the ideas you've put forth, like the post-game and alternate music styles. I hope it doesn't get cancelled like everything else that's ever been put on this forum that doesn't suck. Good luck. Also, Echo, Harmony, Noize? Is this going to be like in Mega Man, and everything is going to relate to sound, or just like in Cave Story with the two main characters?

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Thatnamelessguy said:
Also, Echo, Harmony, Noize? Is this going to be like in Mega Man, and everything is going to relate to sound, or just like in Cave Story with the two main characters?
In what way do things in mega man relate to sound? I'm not exactly the most keen megaman addict ever, but I never noticed anything like that before...

And also, hiya programming guy!
Since you're fluent in basic now, I think python will be a step down in difficulty (although that is my own opinion I guess...) I had a go at basic briefly, and I think that it's a little harder than python. There'll still be some stuff to get used to though, I guess.

Also, this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1260108/start-with-pyglet-or-pygame
since I'm assuming you're gonna want to do graphics & sounds in your game (duh) and these are the best two libraries out there.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
MrLog said:
In what way do things in mega man relate to sound? I'm not exactly the most keen megaman addict ever, but I never noticed anything like that before...
A lot of characters, at least in the classic series, have musically themed names. There's Rock/Rockman(Mega Man) and Roll, Blues/Proto Man, Bass, Treble, Beat, Duo(?), Tango, and maybe some others I've forgotten.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Polaris said:
A lot of characters, at least in the classic series, have musically themed names. There's Rock/Rockman(Mega Man) and Roll, Blues/Proto Man, Bass, Treble, Beat, Duo(?), Tango, and maybe some others I've forgotten.
oh, okay. I don't recognise some of those, but it's good to know anyway x)

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well I talked to some people and they said Python would be the best idea for a game with a sidescrolling background. I'm pretty good at picking things up relatively quickly so it shouldn't take too long before I can come up with something XD

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Wouldn't it make more sense to put the pictures in the post you just made? Anyway, I don't have much to say except for...
They look like drums. Drums with pies on top of them. That is the only observation I can make from this. Not good, or bad, just pie drums.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:32 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Fuck god damn those gels are adorable

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:40 AM
Perpetually out of it
So I'm guessing the Gels run off the same basic lines of code as the Critters, and hell they even look similar in appearance.
But hey, they sure are adorable.
Don't judge me-
The Luminaries remind me of Ballos interms of design for some reason, it could be the round and flat head, combined with spiritual-ish-looking robes, and also the singular eye that Ballos has on his.
And Luminarie is a combination of Luminous and Fairy, so I take they're basically, light faries?

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:09 AM
hey, are those sprites youre using in your signature placeholders?

because if you do plan making a full-on original game, its not a good idea to take assets from cave story. the main character is basically an edit of quote and grasstown/bushlands tiles are being used.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:01 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Now I voted for full orchestra in your poll but I want to make it clear that I mean a real orchestra, not a bunch of samples playing notes with no emotion. If you're going to do that, go with 16-bit instead.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
If you have a working engine, even a very short demo or a debug room would be neat to see. Then again, I likely wouldn't be able to play it because of my lack of a computer, so take what I think with a grain of salt. -w-

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM
I think that the music's actually pretty awesome, but it needs some kind of louder part to it, where the tension gets released. At the moment the tension keeps building up, until it eventually gets too repetitive and loses the build up. I liked it while the tension was building up though!