• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Journey of the Explorer/Ekusupurora no Tabi [Build 0.0.0]

Once we build a testing stage, should we upload it?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Feb 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
NEW PROGRAMMER! ARCHGODALCHEMIST JOINS THE TEAM!

CONCEPT
Journey of the Explorer/Ekusupurora no Tabi is an indie game with graphics and play greatly derived from Cave Story. This game is being completely developed by myself, BioHazardEmpire, and archgodAlchemist with me creating concepts, graphics, and music, and them programming it all.

The game takes place within a tremendous floating machine called "The Weapon". The basis of the game is to obtain the 4 keys to enter the Shaded Tower at the top of the weapon, in order to destroy the master of the weapon, "Noize". The inside of the weapon contains 15 different environments from several different planets, with 4 seperate species (all of which are at war).

The game will be released in 2 languages, English and Japanese.

PLANNED FEATURES
  • Player gender select (Male-Echo/Hibiki/響) (Female-Harmony/Honoka/和花)
  • Cave Story Easter Eggs
  • Challenge Dungeon
  • 5 Possible Endings (Terrible, Bad, Normal, Great, Best)
POSSIBLE FEATURES
  • Music style select (Chiptune, 16-bit, Realistic)
  • Post-Game Boss Gauntlet Feature
  • General Post-Game
  • Difficulty Options (Wimpy, Normal, Epic, Legendary (With bonus item when beat on Legendary))
  • Alternate Stage Designs (For those who want even more of a challenge)
PROGRESS
Although we do not have a functioning build yet, we have been able to create a few pieces, like the title screen:
BioHazardEmpire is trying to learn a bit more about c# and c++ Python before we begin building some major portions, so that the coding is good from the get-go and so that he has to do as little recoding as possible so that as few bugs as possible will appear when he edits past code. He may also just use Visual Basic.

We should have a test stage ready to use within a month or 2.
MUSIC
I have composed 9 tracks, those being:
Title Screen
Welcome to the Weapon
Generator System
Forest Area
Europa Sectors
Boss! Sacred Shrine Demon!
Boss! Noize!
Final Boss!
FINAL Final Boss!

I won't post links to all of them yet because I am still fine-tuning the note sequences, but they are all full orchestra, with the exception of a few tracks.

ARTWORK

CONCEPT SKETCHES

OFFICIAL ARTWORK

SPRITES

LINKS
Development Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Halien_Abrack said:
My friend is trying to learn a bit more about c# and c++ before we begin building some major portions, so that the coding is good from the get-go and so that he has to do as little recoding as possible so that as few bugs as possible will appear when he edits past code.
[chuckling intensifies]
as a software engineer, and someone who's tried to do basically what you are going for, have fun widdat

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Yeahhhhh...
I wouldn't recommend having a currently-learning programmer code your game.
(This is from personal experience)
To be honest, no one (currently) on my team regrets leaving C++, but it's certainly not a bad language by any means.

All these new features and the premise along look really promising, and I really hope this isn't one of those mods that just dies after a week or so.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Shinyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy *w*

I WANT DEMO NAOS :C

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Although C++ isn't a recommended programming language to learn, it suffices for most general games. The only issue you may have, besides the language being a chore to learn, is that it isn't friendly to anyone. Don't let that demotivate you or your friend in anyway, though.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Nadojin said:
All these new features and the premise along look really promising, and I really hope this isn't one of those mods that just dies after a week or so.
We've already made a lot of the story and designed the majority of levels on paper, and because I've already made a good amount of music, I think we'll be able to make this last for quite a while, and, after all, we still have a few more years of school left, so we'll be able to focus on this for a while.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Will this be story driven like CS with areas that can be re-explored, or open ended metroidvania style exploration? Either way I'm looking forward to seeing some more screens. Gave you a follow on Tumblr :awesomeface:

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM
Professional Whatever
Although C++ isn't a recommended programming language to learn
what

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Metroidvaniac said:
Will this be story driven like CS with areas that can be re-explored, or open ended metroidvania style exploration? Either way I'm looking forward to seeing some more screens. Gave you a follow on Tumblr :awesomeface:
Because it's primarily based upon CS, I'm planning to have it story driven and that areas can be re-explored.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Perpetually out of it
So the main character's name is エイクン (eikun) or エコー (eco)?
Concept art looks nice so far, by the way.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Nadojin said:
So the main character's name is エイクン (eikun) or エコー (eco)?
Concept art looks nice so far, by the way.
エイクン is my name, ergo, my signature.

For the Japanese version we have planned, エコー will be the name. In the English version, he'll be called Echo. However, I may change the name just so that it makes more sense in Japanese, rather than just being a transliteration of the English name.

[EDIT] I have decided upon a new name: Hibiki/響, so that's what it'll be now.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:40 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
This looks very exciting! I just hope you don't abandon it.
I can see the main character has an antenna. Is it also a robot?

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Is there any particular reason you want a japanese version or is it just to massage some japanophilia nubs

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Noxid said:
Is there any particular reason you want a japanese version or is it just to massage some japanophilia nubs
I have a bunch of relatives in Japan who can't speak English but love Cave Story, and then they know a bunch of people who love it as well.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
fair enough
we just get an awful lot of people who obviously don't know japanese dual-titling their mods bc "LOL JAPAN"

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Hope you know Japanese.
If you don't (which I doubt, I mean, common, who tries to translate a game into a language they don't know? haha.)
Please, PLEASE don't use an online translator. It should be obvious why.

Any case, It looks cool from what I've seen.
I'm cheering you on!

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM
SableArc said:
Hope you know Japanese.
If you don't (which I doubt, I mean, common, who tries to translate a game into a language they don't know? haha.)
Please, PLEASE don't use an online translator. It should be obvious why.
While I know it on a basic level, I'm obviously not fluent, but I have people I know who are very fluent in both so they're planning to translate it for us.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Perpetually out of it
Well that makes three then.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:12 AM
Nadojin said:
Well that makes three then.
Well they aren't going to translate it until we finish with the English version, and I may have mastered Japanese by then. So it's more of a tentative three. But yes. I guess that makes three.

Of course, they don't really participate actively on the internet, so I have no way of linking to them.