Jenka's Nightmare Revived - Final release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
If anything, I'd change or remove the Cthulhu that tells you "a good dog doesn't bark, it only wags his tail". I'm not sure if it's a red herring or what, but it definitely distracted me from the real hints.

Well crap, I've been ninja'ed.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well it's still a hint because the wagging dogs' teleporters send you to places you need to go to advance, just the way it's worded makes it seem like you're only supposed to freed the wagging dogs.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Still confusing.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Well it's still a hint because the wagging dogs' teleporters send you to places you need to go to advance, just the way it's worded makes it seem like you're only supposed to freed the wagging dogs.
I see. That was my guess as well "barking dog bad, no treat. Quiet dog good, treat". Which obviously got me nowhere really fast.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM
The Eternal Darkness
The first time I got to that part, I thought the same. I was wrong. I then thought the opposite: "barking dog good, treat. Quiet dog bad, no treat". I was wrong too. I think. Played it in June 2011, so I may be incorrect here.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
still would like to know what the controller does.

Played ikachan, found the lab.

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:37 AM
Professional Whatever
Sorry this is late, but take the controller to
the hermit gunsmith.
That should clear things up.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:32 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Any hints on the dog puzzle? So confusing... :confused:

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
uh, sure.

Whenever you set two teleporters to each other, the third teleports you to one of three locations. At first you can only link one of the three possible sets of teleporters to each other and still be able to get to the third.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:48 PM
The Eternal Darkness
:confused: raised to the power of 75^4. Guess I'll eventually figure that one out, though. As most people say, "practice makes perfect".

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, not so much practice as hint interpretation and/or guess and check, but okay...
You could try youtube if you are really stuck.

If I remember correctly I cave edited a hole through that map on my first playthrough just to get to the next area...

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Professional Whatever
Okay, I know this has been said before, but here's the solution I think.

Gaudi teleporter is in upper-right.
Mimiga teleporter is in lower-right.
Flowers teleporter is in lower-left.

You can connect two teleporters to each other by feeding the puppies.

1. Connect Mimiga to Gaudi and use Flowers to get Booster.
2. Connect Mimiga to Flowers and use Gaudi to find Misery.
3. Connect Gaudi to Flowers and use Mimiga to get the the Labyrinth.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Yeah, well, I Cave Edited the Genesis area with that flame puzzle. I HATE THAT EVIL FLAME OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
How come I never thought of Cave Editing the Sand Zone?

(200th post at last)

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I think I got all of the Uberweapons now, (Sky Blade, UberBubbler, Polaris and Nemesis X), and I haven't gone past Oblivion: Erosion yet. Oblivion here I come.

I also accidentally found a life capsule after coming back from getting the bomb.
It's at the top of the map. Fly back to the beginning using the machine gun, staying close to the ceiling and you'll bump right into it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Professional Whatever
Protip:
You don't need the machine gun to get that life capsule

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
There's a glitch when entering Genesis; the line of text that says the Nemesis X was taken keeps appearing. Removing the flag jumps that jump to non-existing events if you have the UberBubbler or the Detonator fixes the problem.

Also,
For some reason none of the answers to get the Nemesis X back are right. I determined that the 6490 flag that causes it, since putting <FL-6490 before the <FLJ at the correct answer solves the problem.

A third note,
There is no save point in the Dev's room, even though the #0300 event indicates there should be one to play JN HARD.

Whew, fantastic mod. Took me quite a while to complete. I'll do a second run later to try and get max life capsules and max detonator ammo.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Professional Whatever
A third note,
There is no save point in the Dev's room, even though the #0300 event indicates there should be one to play JN HARD.

Eh heh... Yeah, that was from a previous version. I was trying to make JN Hard only accessible once you beat JN Normal, but complications stopped me from doing that.

Well I'm glad you guys enjoyed my mod and HEY WAIT A MINUTE
Persuit, you're EmperorPersuit, aren't you? >:3

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Based Member
I played this mod back when I was a lurker, and even though it's kinda nice that this story got continued, there's a significant drop in quality once Sue and Curly disappear from that house in the Mimiga village. Beyond that point, there is a significant increase in glitches. I've been meaning to point these out for some time. Here are some of those glitches:

- Every time I talk to Sue after getting the machine gun upgraded, she says, "Thanks. You know, I think I could increase the power of a =Machine Gun=, if you had one. Thanks for the help Quote!"
- You frequently get a jerky camera, and this totally messes up the doors at the Red Tower.
- Even after I've picked up Sue's amulet, I still find the sparkly item, and if I go back up to it, it shows the graphic item for the amulet even though it says there's nothing there anymore.
- At the entrance to the Red Tower, I can just go on the left side of it, and boost up to the top via the booster 2.0 and machine gun, then I have to come down a bit to trigger the horizontal/vertical trigger, and I've gotten past it.
- All of the hor/vert triggers added by you use the <KEY command. It's a lot more professional to use the <PRI command so that it can't look like you're falling back down before you transition to the room above you.
- When I've fought Oblivion, I can go back up to the room where I've fought him at any time, and then I'll be stuck in the room with the only thing in there be a sprite of the Doctor as still as a statue. One thing that makes it real funny is that the Doctor (Oblivion) is stuck with the sprite of holding the red crystal. But without the red crystal, it looks like he's making a rude hand gesture to Quote:
Rudehandgesture.jpg

- sasogun1 already pointed this out. If you go too far through Genesis with the Nemesis X, the message telling you that the Nemesis X was stolen repeats indefinitely.
- If I teleport to the beginning of a certain part of Genesis via that terminal, then I'm able to access that treasure chest which doesn't do anything. I think this was reported earlier, and you claimed that it was for debugging purposes. But I don't understand why you kept it in there in both version 1.7 and 2.1
- I can't remember what it was that I did, but I remember being able to make Misery reappear in her house after she dissappears.

I'm pretty sure that all of these glitches were present in both 1.7 and 2.1. I honsetly couldn't see what had changed. Here are some other concerns of mine:

- You really, REALLY don't give shmitz the credit on this he deserves for making most of this mod, and almost act like you made the whole thing and that he made a minor contribution.
The readme said:
Original modification created by Mark "Shmitz" Major
The rest's by me! LunarSoul!
I know you're being kinda silly, but I'd be pretty angry if someone's continuation of a mod that I made added a bunch of glitches, and made it look like that person made it himself like the sign in the developers' room incinuates: "Almost everything hacked by =LunarSoul= (But, you know, Shmitz helped a smidge.)"
- Your excessive breakings of the fourth wall really make this mod unprofessional.
- I found the fight with Ultima and everything around it very disappointing and anticlimactic.
- I felt that some of the secrets were waaaayyy too cryptic. And that's coming from the person who has been told that the first secret in his mod is too cryptic.
- It's cool how you can get the uber weapons, but it's possible to get to certain bosses with an insane amount of HP and not have any uber weapons, and it can take a looooong time to beat them even if you keep pounding them, which happened to me my first playthrough.
- Even though you had a surprisingly good execution of this compared to other modders, it was still very lazy and unprofessional to have the Doctor represent Oblivion, and for Ballos to represent Genesis

One thing I wanted to know when I first played this mod was, how much did you test this? It's silly that you consider this mod completed considering how buggy it is. I've gotta admit though, some of the cutscenes in the red tower were pretty darn epic, almost a kind of climax worthy of a Cave Story sequel. The "Be ware of advice from those who would mislead you." was pretty clever too. But other than that, I'd have to say that Shmitz is really the only reason this mod is so popular, and that there was minimal effort on your part. Infact, due to the amount of LunarSoul-glorifying and Shmitz-undercrediting in this mod's fourth wall breakings, I kinda had a bad impression of you as a person before I really got to know you. Now I'm not saying it's altogether a bad thing to revive and make your own continuation of someone else's mod, seeing as how I plan to do the same with Curly Brace's Story. I'm saying that I think you really just made it sound like Shmitz made only a very minor contribution to Jenka's Nightmare. I'm a bit confused on the status of the changes you're going to make. I thought that you were going to change this mod after you finished MS, and then let Andwhy port it then, but he recently put the ports up. Is it that you're going to make all of these changes in Jenka's Nightmare Brotherhood? I honestly think that you should just change this mod if you're going to do that. It would be kinda redundant to make an entirely new mod just to make some changes. It would especially be good to do it to this mod seeing the injustice it serves in my opinion to Shmitz's original work.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Professional Whatever
Ouch.

Okay, I see your point. I really feel bad about this, most of the things you said I didn't even realize. I really didn't mean to make shmitz look bad, or make myself look better. I do agree that the ending is anticlimactic and that's the main reason why I wanted to fix it.

I'm starting to get doubts about working on this anymore. Do you guys think I should just fix all the glitches, give shmitz the credit he deserves and then just leave JN alone instead of making JNBr?

Status
Not open for further replies.