Jenka's Nightmare Revived - Final release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When im going into genesis via Misery's Adobe, the game stops me and says "Nemesis X was stolen" and doesnt let me advance, it is a glitch or it was on purpose?

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That wasn't on purpose. If you look a few pages back, then you'll see that that glitch is reported numerous times. I know that there are a TON of posts here, which is why I haven't read this whole thread, but it never hurts to use the search bar.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
anyway to pass it? or should i wait for a new release?

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Based Member
The following techniques are listed in order from easiest to hardest, as well as from least ideal to most ideal. You can do one of three things:

1) Wait for the next release (which will probably be a while from now)

2) Use Save Editor (and make sure that you have alleg42.dll) and open up your current save, and take the Nemesis out.

3) Use CE Script Editor, and open up Hell1.tsc from the mod's stage folder, and change this part of the script:
Code:
<KEY<MM0<FLA<SOU0044<WAI0080<AMJ0012:0312<END
<AM-0012<MSG=Nemesis X= was stolen!<NOD<CLO
<AMJ0007:0310<AMJ0010:0311<RMU<END
To this:
Code:
<KEY<MM0<FLA<SOU0044<WAI0080<AM-0012
<MSG=Nemesis X= was stolen!<NOD<CLO<RMU<END
Then save it, and the glitch should be fixed. I actually tested it and it worked, incase you wonder.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I simply removed the code that steals the NemesisX.

Edit:
Yep, just like that. Hayden ninjaed me and ruined my smart ass reply :awesomeface:

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So... I finally got the controller, but when I brought it to

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

the hermit gunsmith

it said "Hmm..." and that's it.

Do I have to bring the controller there earlier on? I'm at the part where you have to go through misery's abode into genesis, but i can't continue because of the repetitive "Your Nemesis X was stolen!"

Also, the chest nearby says, "Aww... You're no fun." and I can move while it's being written on the screen. :confused:

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Please never use 4shared, I had to sign up do download this thing

I'll tell my thoughts after I play

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Can you give me a link to the game?

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
@Master, you can find both links and download mirrors in the first post in this thread.

EDIT: This is a very promising mod! I have some bugs and suggestions to report, but have a final essay due tomorrow. I'll get around to posting some of my thoughts after said paper is done.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Finally, I beat this mod. :D

This is probably the best mod of Cave Story yet, though the ending could have been better... 9/10

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Based Member
Finally, I beat this mod. :D

This is probably the best mod of Cave Story yet, though the ending could have been better... 9/10
Oh yes, don't worry. I've been talking with MagicDoors, and he's going to give the mod a better ending, and fix all of the glitches he can find. Eventually... Also, it will later feature Genesis and Oblivion with their own sprites, instead of them being Ballos and the Doctor respectively. I've sent him the Oblivion sprite sheet, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet... The Genesis sprite sheet is yet to be made though.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Oh yes, don't worry. I've been talking with MagicDoors, and he's going to give the mod a better ending, and fix all of the glitches he can find. Eventually... Also, it will later feature Genesis and Oblivion with their own sprites, instead of them being Ballos and the Doctor respectively. I've sent him the Oblivion sprite sheet, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet... The Genesis sprite sheet is yet to be made though.

Oh, alright then. Sounds good to me. :critter:

EDIT: Sorry, I accidentally double-posted...Great. Now a mod will see it and infarct me.

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM
Professional Whatever
I've sent him the Oblivion sprite sheet, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet... The Genesis sprite sheet is yet to be made though.
Oh that's right, I'm sorry. I've been "busy" playing minecraft, plus my phone's been dead so my emails were screwed up. I'll get back to you.

@critter
Well at least you understand how the ninjas moderators work around here.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:50 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I have one relatively major (?) bug to report. Let me start off by saying that I'm playing the Mac (boo and hiss if you must) port. While the issue that I'm having seems like it might be applicable to the PC app, it's conceivable that it could be an issue with the port. Assuming that the port is good, though:

So far I have gotten both of the endings
without going through Genesis: Spirit
and when I did the
no spirit; no sky blade
ending, I made the mistake of leaving Misery's Abode before going to Genesis. When I went back into Misery's Abode, I couldn't get through the door to Genesis. I was stuck without a way to advance in the game. I even tried to go back through the Red Tower, but when I got to the place where you fight
possessed Curly
nothing happened. I had to restart the game from the beginning in order to move on in the story. :(
EDIT: Doh, I just saw that HaydenStudios mentioned this glitch a page or two back. My bad. I don't think he said anything about not being able to go to Genesis after leaving Misery's Abode, though. [/EDIT] I didn't bother trying to leave Misery's Abode when I did the
no spirit; yes sky blade
ending, but I expect the same problem would happen again.

And if I might say, the last boss is rather time-consuming when the only weapons you have are the fireball and missile launcher. I don't suppose it would be possible to create a condition that gives
possessed Curly
less health if those are the only two weapons that you have for that battle? Maybe I just suck, but when I was going for that ending, that last battle took something like 15 or 20 minutes all on its own once I had worked out my strategy to do the most damage in the shortest amount of time without dying. The sky blade makes things bearable when you have it leveled up.

All in all, though, great work on reviving this mod, Doors! I'm looking forward to the polish and improved endings in the overhaul. Playing great mods like this makes me want to try my hand at one of my own... anyway, I'll be playing through the other endings in the coming week or so, and I'll post about any other issues that I encounter.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM
Based Member
I didn't bother trying to leave Misery's Abode when I did the
no spirit; yes sky blade
ending, but I expect the same problem would happen again.
Funny you mention that, I'm pretty sure that this only happens if you neither have done Genesis: Spirit nor acquired the Sky Blade. Not sure why though.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi.. um not sure if I should ask this here, but I was wondering if it was possible to play this mod in full-screen, and not in the tiny window? Someone please tell me how?

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Based Member
Get into the Jenka's Nightmare Directory, and open up DoConfig.exe. In that window, you'll be able to change it from 320x240 windowed, to 640x480 windowed, to fullscreen. It should be fairly obvious once you're in there.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
a little program called doconfig.exe
secret: it comes with cave story too!
double secret: delete config.dat to reset it to default
triple secret: playing fullscreen is lame

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, my brain must not be functioning properly today. I literally figured this out just after I posted that comment. Considering I had changed the resolution of the original several times before... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.