Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

May 19, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Video is up, check my post earlier above. This is based on a normal playthrough, not a NG+. And kept the original missile launcher before...
playing as Curly. Picking up Quote's items with the original missile launcher had a munitions clip (if already upgraded to Super Missile launcher before, then it's a Machine Gun capsule instead). Then went to the Dead End in the Labyrinth to upgrade after opening up the rest of the chests with missile augmentation.

How to get the original Cave Story NG+?

May 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Load from Prefab house from original game. Just copy the profile open.

I'd recommend not using any of the profiles from the main website because a lot of them are hacked and don't work right.

May 19, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
It worked. Now I understand. Thank you very much! :)

However on the bookcase, I found a typo: "Exicution"??? I think it should be "Execution". (it may have been reported already... I am not sure...)
Also on Grasstown Tower, one of the blue robot's text... Shouldn't "Auxilery" be "Auxiliary"? Also, check all text in Grasstown for "Auxiliary". The Auxiliary Terminal switch above has text with "Auxilary". It's missing one "i" after "l".

May 19, 2014 at 5:53 AM
Update 140519 (1.2.0.0)

- Fixed bugs listed above by Fluff8836 and others
- Added a sign in Plantation to tell the player they can indeed fly up the press chasms
- Made Last Cave and Last Cave (Hidden) less obnoxious, and added more decor
- Bats during the JN fight now drop exp. Critters in the fight now drop 2 exp instead of just 1 each.
- Fixed a tiny graphical error on the Labyrinth tileset (two stray black pixels)

(hopefully nothing broke in the process)

Walkthrough will be out when its done, which should be either during the week or next weekend.

May 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Veteran Member
I have found an NG+ related bug here concerning the Bubbler weapon, the Bubbler capsule and Jack, and the trading with Mr. Little (or if Bubbler was not picked up at the Labyrinth).

I have traded away the Bubbler to Mr. Little for Mjolnir, then I went to Grasstown Tower and talked to Jack. When Jack opened the Bubbler capsule, it offers an augmentation to the Bubbler but gives me the Bubbler weapon. This is weird and a possible weapon overflow if I happen to get the Polar Star from the Pignons. To fix: If the player does not have the Bubbler, Jack would fail to open the capsule unless there is a Weapon Jump for Bubbler. New flags and flagjumps would have to be implemented, given that Bubbler has chests around and the capsule that augments the ammunition.

● ● ●​
Here is another NG+ related bug concerning Missile Launchers, the capsules, and Balrog to open them (Core [and Observatory?]). The capsule should fail to open if player does not have either the Missile Launcher or the Super Missile Launcher (weapon jumps). Super Missile Capsule item points to the correct event in Head but with a regular Missile Capsule graphic so fix it...? At the point of possible failure to open:

● On the event with the regular Missile Capsule where Balrog inspects, put the Missile Launcher weapon jump for a successful opening of the capsule. Only remove the regular Missile Capsule.
● On the event with the Super Missile Capsule where Balrog inspects, put the Super Missile Launcher weapon jump for a successful opening of the capsule. Only remove the Super Missile Capsule.

Yes, you can use extra events 0044 through 0047 and 0050 through 0084 in Head.

I started the NG+ with the Super Missile Launcher from Cave Story, so I get the Super Missile Capsule.

May 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I poked the CS+ board on steam about this mod, just so you know c:

May 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Veteran Member
ZarroTsu, the sign you have added in the Plantation, unfortunately it is not interactive. I press down on the sign and I see a ? floating above his head.

Make sure you see the NG+ bugs I have posted just above.

I cannot seem to download from Dropbox anymore due to error 509, Bandwidth Exceeded, too much traffic. MediaFire is forever my friend.

May 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM
It's always somethingtm

Turns out I left the wrong number in the weapon check for the Bubbler capsule. It was checking if you had the Blade instead of checking for the Bubbler. Oops.

Missile capsules already do check if you have a launcher correctly.

=-=-=-=-=

Silly Little Update 140519_1 (1.2.1.0)

- Fixed Bubbler capsule not checking for the Bubbler correctly
- Made the sign in Plantation that was added actually interactable

May 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
I am almost finished with my NG+ playthrough of Jenka's Nightmare and I plan to play the Original Cave Story one more time. However...

I have checked the Old Clinic myself to make sure the bug is fixed and... it isn't! Check the spoiler below.
Dang.... There is a Save Diskette in the Old Clinic. I saved here as Curly, then restarted the game and the Teleporter became present! *Sigh*

Flag 2258 is set after the fourth Secret Room is discovered making the crooked bed disappear and the Teleporter with lights appear.

If 2258 is a required flag that will let you in the Super Secret Room: Add a new accompanying flag number in the fourth Secret Room and change the flagID with the new flag number on the Teleporter, lights, and the crooked bed in the Old Clinic. You will remove that new accompanying flag at the point where you play as Curly (Observatory, red). (This will require me to start a new game of Jenka's Nightmare)

OR

If 2258 is just for the teleporter in the Old Clinic: You may remove 2258 at the point where you play as Curly. (I still have to start a New Game.)

Once finished fixing, remove the "As Curly" flag jump at entry to the Old Clinic off the script.

And before you close your editor...
I have glitched the drowning system. I thought the spike in the water would prevent that by killing Curly, but I have shot downwards with Level 3 Machine Gun in a heartbeat rhythm at the water's surface carefully without holding the jump button and due to Flag 4000's effect, infinite loop!

Now that I have uncovered it, this code should have been included in this map script :(:
Code:
<SNP0259:0001:0001:0000<EVE0041
Or instead, you can lower the water to a puddle one tile down.

May 20, 2014 at 12:31 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Are you finish final version is it? If any check bug problem?

May 20, 2014 at 2:59 AM
@Eddie I'm going to put another update out tomorrow to fix what Fluff8836 pointed out in his above post. With any luck it will be the last one, maybe. If you're considering TASing this version though, any updates I make shouldn't affect a TAS at all unless the update version is 1.3.0.0.

May 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
ZarroTsu said:
@Eddie I'm going to put another update out tomorrow to fix what Fluff8836 pointed out in his above post. With any luck it will be the last one, maybe. If you're considering TASing this version though, any updates I make shouldn't affect a TAS at all unless the update version is 1.3.0.0.

All right, understoon and I still much learn Cave Story a my tactics and fix skill quickly without delay.

I still learn your modding and tell me about tactics a shortcut by your work. I allowed a push "Esc" reset is worked for 'skip intro' but no 'load game' with small 'cheats' are not allowed during TAS.

This game much harder challenge and I doing work hard for TAS like I did my old video but small fail and need fix tactics.

Your modding is very good well but I think TAS is long day with No Damage but only 6 max hp by your mod.
I cannot allow any hack save data or cheat set to 1 hp by a rules.

I be wait for your next final version and any check bug.

May 21, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Update 140520 (1.2.2.0)

- Fixed being unable to drown correctly in the Old Clinic while Curly
- Save Point in Old Clinic gets removed while Curly

May 21, 2014 at 3:02 AM
Arrrrgghhhh (1.2.2.1)

- What Fluff said.

May 22, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
CS+ port when?

Anyway, you've done an amazing job finishing and remastering this mod. You've gone above and beyond anything I could have imagined someone would make out of a Cave Story sequel. I think Daisuke himself would be proud. Even though it's impossible to make original bosses, by combining elements from other bosses into the boss fights, you managed to spice them up enough so they feel different. The dialogue and story-telling, even though fan-made and conjecture, sounds realistic and canon. You did a great job filling in the blanks of the story elements that were never expanded upon in the original game.

After playing all the way through to the end, I have a couple questions and I found a typo.

Typo in Curly's dialogue in one part, calling her mimiga children "Colins"
In the ending where you ride Balrog off the island, the credits show Misery restoring Sue and Itoh to humans. But shouldn't she be unconcious with Jenka like you find out if you decide to go check her house?
What the hell are you supposed to in the Devil's Garden and why does it exist? Does it have something to do with the "five prior" mentioned that are needed to enter Jenka's fireplace?

May 23, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Empyrrean said:
(1) In the ending where you ride Balrog off the island, the credits show Misery restoring Sue and Itoh to humans. But shouldn't she be unconcious with Jenka like you find out if you decide to go check her house?
(2) What the hell are you supposed to in the Devil's Garden and why does it exist? Does it have something to do with the "five prior" mentioned that are needed to enter Jenka's fireplace?
1) What you don't know doesn't hurt anything. Although there is a stunning lack of Jenka herself in that ending. *wink wink*

2) It's a lost woods maze, and it has nothing to do with Jenka's fireplace. Note to self: make the room in Jenka's fireplace actually require finding one of the 'five prior' first in order to enter it. It does, however, give itself hints on how to proceed. Keep an eye out for clues near each door.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Stumbled on some Japanese dude's twitter where he was happily posting a ton of stuff in regards to JN. A few bugs from what I could translate include X still bragging about a rematch despite being defeated by Quote, and I saw visual confirmation of (Jenka's Fireplace)'s tileset being transparent for some reason (even though the color becoming transparent isn't solid black).

Is anyone else in particular experiencing the latter bug? My computer displays the current tileset correctly, so it would be difficult to determine when it's fixed unless someone experiencing the bug could confirm it. It would be easier than 'fixing it' repeatedly to no avail...

May 24, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
This is because of 'FullScreen', the default Configuration. Setting it to 'Full (32-bit)' or '320x480Windowed' or '640x480Windowed' via "DoConfig" (JenkasConfig) and it will appear to be not transparent.

To make it not transparent for 'FullScreen' (default), edit the tileset. Leave tile 0 at RGB 0,0,0. Choose another black tile and color it to be 1,1,1 (or, by Pixel's way of black: 0,0,16). The edge blocks with black parts, bookshelves and the fireplace hole needs this recolor as well.

Or, the easy way, set the map properties and use 'bk0.jnb' and/or set background to 'hide'.

The statues only appear once. If I come back to at a later time, or continue from save, they are gone. Also, after defeating a slew of bosses, as I walk down the hallway back to the exit with the bookshelf by it and I go to the right once more, I see two horizontal lines. Is that supposed to be a wall? I can still go through it. That "wall" also appeared when I resume from save (before or after bosses).

Error 509 on Dropbox link! Your account's public sharing links are generating too much traffic. I could only download it through MediaFire next update.

May 24, 2014 at 5:47 AM
Fluff8836 said:
The statues only appear once. If I come back to at a later time, or continue from save, they are gone.
Statues are broken by default and only work when an event is run to set them to a particular frame. Since there would be lag between loading the game and the statues appearing if a h/v trigger were used, I decided to just leave the statues empty after loading. Fitting anyway, since the user leaves the room.

Also, after defeating a slew of bosses, as I walk down the hallway back to the exit with the bookshelf by it and I go to the right once more, I see two horizontal lines. Is that supposed to be a wall? I can still go through it. That "wall" also appeared when I resume from save (before or after bosses).
I think I'm going to need a gif or a video of that one to understand what exactly is going on.

=-=-=-=-=

So, general question: Should I reduce the exp required by the machine gun to level it up? While it's theoretically one of the better weapons, I feel like it probably takes too long to get it going, especially during the last caves where it should be useful, but isn't.

May 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Veteran Member
I think I'm going to need a gif or a video of that one to understand what exactly is going on.

=-=-=-=-=

So, general question: Should I reduce the exp required by the machine gun to level it up? While it's theoretically one of the better weapons, I feel like it probably takes too long to get it going, especially during the last caves where it should be useful, but isn't.
Look no further... (SPOILERS) Recorded using CamStudio atop 640x480Windowed JN

Machine Gun leveling up sooner? ... Do that, especially for level 2 Machine Gun. Or you can add more enemies or energy capsules exclusively.