It crashes on me :(

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:57 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi I'm new here

I found out about the game because Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead's guitarist recommended it on their blog :o

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/index.php?a=211

But I can't play it because it always crashes and reboots the computer on the first screen. This always happens at exactly the same point in the music - about 15 seconds into the 'Start Point' screen.

I've tried updating my audio drivers. I've tried different version of the game with and without the english patch. :(

My System:
XP SP2
ASUS A8N5X
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
GeForce 6600GT PCIE
Soundblaster Audigy 2 24bit

I don't have any problems on any other games... Can anyone help?

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:14 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
This is a stab in the dark, but can you try cutting off Hardware Acceleration for sound?
Go to control panel, Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Sound Playback -> Advanced -> Performance -> slide the audio playback hardware acceleration down to none at first; and then try the game

The reason I suggest this is uh, I never had the problem you described, but when using the related program OrgView [to listen to the music of the game]
It would randomly reboot, if that solves it; it must have something to do with the Audigy 2 cause I have an Audigy 2 also...

From there you can try moving the slider up one notch and if it doesn't crash still then the sound should be normal for Cave Story and you won't have crashes :o

Maybe we'll get lucky and that's it...

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You are a winnar! :(

It was exactly what you said. I can select the second level (basic hardware acceleration) but it doesn't like the 3rd or 4th level. The music on lvl 2 sounds fine (level 1 was aweful).

I'm gonna get playing! :o

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:23 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Glad it worked out~
Enjoy! :o