Is the Wii U any good?

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'm thinking about getting a Wii U, but I'm a bit hesistant because I've heard there arn't alot of GOOD games on it. Does anybody own one, and if you do, would you say its good?

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
It's alright. You've got the Gamepad, which is a lot of fun when used right (especially in multiplayer games like Nintendo Land), but it is heavier than it needs to be and its battery drains like crazy. The console is pretty cheap compared to the others and of course it has the rad Nintendo games which is why I got it. I mean, if you like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., and stuff like that I'd say yeah it's worth the purchase.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kiyoshi said:
there arn't alot of GOOD games on it
Depends on what you mean. Cuz I see an influx of awesome games coming on the Wii U this fall and in next year. And it's not just the first party games if you're not too big a fan of them.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Been here way too long...
The Wonderful 101.

If anybody knows any other good Wii U games that aren't made by Nintendo, post 'em.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Bayonetta 2 looks pretty damn good but that's not out yet and is also done by Platinum

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
The reason it doesn't have many "good" games (Also just saying, but good is a matter of opinion so I wouldn't recommend using it to describe a console :p) is because it is a relativly new console.
It appears to be going the same way the 3DS did. It's different to previous things, people laugh at it, good games come out for it and it alone, everyone gets one.

And to be honest, I might get it. The sheer idea of playing Animal Crossing for the Wii on a gamepad, if that's possible (Which it should be) is kind of a reason to buy it.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Well here is what I've got:

+Cheaper than the others (PS4 And XB1)
+HD graphics that are comparable to XB360 and PS3
+Gamepad is awesome
+Plays Wii games
+Good games for what it has
+EShop is good

-Virtually no 3rd party games
-Does not play GameCube games
-small game selection

So the good outweighs the bad on my review, but maybe you should wait for a price cut. Nintendo is desperate and will do anything to boost sales for the Wii U.

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM
"..."
funwillfunwill said:
Well here is what I've got:

+Cheaper than the others (PS4 And XB1)
+HD graphics that are comparable to XB360 and PS3
+Gamepad is awesome
+Plays Wii games
+Good games for what it has
+EShop is good

-Virtually no 3rd party games
-Does not play GameCube games
-small game selection

So the good outweighs the bad on my review, but maybe you should wait for a price cut. Nintendo is desperate and will do anything to boost sales for the Wii U.
Small game selection's more because it's a new console, same with 3rd party games.
To be honest I'm glad everyone and their mum isn't developing for Wii U yet, look at what happened over on it's daddy.

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM
"..."
Well 2 years is enough time for game to be released for games to be released on a system. And remember the Wii? At the point of time that the Wii U is in now, it had many games released for it.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:25 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
shovel knight!
but you can get that on 3ds, too, or PC.

My verdict would be that unless you can tide yourself over for a few months with just NintendoLand, Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario 3D World then I'd wait until the new SSB or Hyrule Warriors comes out.

Jury's still out on 3rd party, someone already said Bayonetta 2 and that's about it.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM
"..."
funwillfunwill said:
Well 2 years is enough time for game to be released for games to be released on a system. And remember the Wii? At the point of time that the Wii U is in now, it had many games released for it.
But that was a system where people could get into the gimmick more, back when family gaming was an actual thing, and it was new too. The Wii brought a fresh gimmick that people wanted to ride the wave off, and so all those titles were launched.

Wii U has a touchscreen and HD graphics.

yayy

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM
"..."
Yeah, that is true. And at the time motion controls were high tech.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
The only reason I like the Wii U is that I value Nintendo games over any other game made by another developer.
But yeah, I think that they should remove the Wii brand name and try something different. I believe it was the "Wii" in Wii U that confused consumers.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM
"..."
jj4226 said:
The only reason I like the Wii U is that I value Nintendo games over any other game made by another developer.
But yeah, I think that they should remove the Wii brand name and try something different. I believe it was the "Wii" in Wii U that confused consumers.
They should have given it an original name that didn't have Wii in it. The only other home system that Nintendo used the same name on was the SNES. But those were different times. Maybe the could've called it a Super Wii...

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
funwillfunwill said:
They should have given it an original name that didn't have Wii in it. The only other home system that Nintendo used the same name on was the SNES. But those were different times. Maybe the could've called it a Super Wii...
playstation
playstation 2
playstation 3
playstation 4

xbox
xbox 360
xbox 1 (????)

I won't argue that the naming of Wii U caused some consumer confusion though. I actually thought it was like another weird addon myself at first until I actually saw the thing.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Professional Whatever
funwillfunwill said:
They should have given it an original name that didn't have Wii in it.
funwillfunwill said:
Maybe the could've called it a Super Wii...
????

also it is literally a wii with extra things why would they call it something different

damn ninjas

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The Wii U is definitely worth it. The eshop is full of great games, and though there aren't that many retail games out, when they're good, they're REALLY good. My only complaints with the system is the storage size(32 gB is not enough space for a console) and that the gamepad isn't fully utilized. Aside from being able to have menus on the gamepad screen or play the sytem with the tv off, there isn't much that's nice about the gamepad. Other than that, the games are definitely worth buying the system. Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Zelda Wind Waker HD, With Supef Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Woolly World, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and a new Zelda game on the way. I'd say wait until most of these games come out, but the Wii U is still really worth buying regardless.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM
"..."
Doors said:
????

also it is literally a wii with extra things why would they call it something different

damn ninjas
by that logic they should've called the wii the gamecube wmc
and then the wii u would be gamecube wmc u or gwmcu for short.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM
"..."
Reddeh Le Steddeh said:
Or just call them all this:
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment system
Super Duper Nintendo Entertainment System 64
Super Duper Pooper Nintendo Entertainment Cube
Super Duper Pooper Scooper Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Duper Pooper Scooper Nintendo Entertainment System U

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Professional Whatever
Reddeh Le Steddeh said:
gamecube --> wii: motion controls added, system is focused around motion controls
wii --> wiiu: motion controls still there, controller screen tablet thing added, system still focused around motion controls

the only things connecting the wii and gamecube are the ability to use gamecube controllers for some games and the backwards compatibility