Is the DSI Port of Cave Story lost forever ?

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:34 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Maybe with homebrew stuff,you can,buuuuuuuut im not sure

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM
Consensus seems to be that a dump is not yet publicly available; regardless, distribution of such a thing would be illegal. Anyone with a legitimately downloaded copy on their DS can still play it.

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:24 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
It could be dumped somewhere on some pirateing website.

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:43 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Perhaps not.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:50 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm pretty sure there is no known way on how to copy DSiWare from one system to another, and especially not legally.
So the only way to get your hands on thisnwould be to find a system that has bought this, although doing that might as well be impossible.

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:13 AM
I'm pretty sure there is no known way on how to copy DSiWare from one system to another, and especially not legally.
So the only way to get your hands on thisnwould be to find a system that has bought this, although doing that might as well be impossible.
There is a way to transfer DSiWare but using it for piracy would be inadvisable.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I have it on my New 3DS XL (I bought it legally.) Not sure about DSi, but I know (as I tried it just now) that if you have a 3DS, you can get it for free with something called "FreeShop"... that is all I can tell you.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:50 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm going to get a lot of shit for this but, in my opinion if a game isn't available for legal purchase dumping roms isn't all that bad. BUT (read this before you scream at me) it's available on so many other devices I literally can't see why people would dump it besides maybe a technical analysis compared to other versions of the game or because they don't have any other device to play it on which-- no offense if that's your situation --is kinda weird. So yeah, let's just leave CS DSi lost for a while. I wouldn't call it abandonware just yet.

Keep your DSis with it around. Maybe back up a copy for the future, but no uploads. I hate the idea of a CS port becoming lost, but the game is too good to not financially support in my opinion. Hell, I'm broke and I've bought a shit ton of ports of this game because I make poor financial decisions.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:56 AM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
[QUOTE="mckgamer, post: 361833, member: 7963" Hell, I'm broke and I've bought a shit ton of ports of this game because I make poor financial decisions.[/QUOTE] Just did some math, and all ports of CS together cost $110. I don't think that much money over long periods of time can infect your financial status.

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:34 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I have a DSi copy of cave story (just need to find out how to convert and dump the file uggggghhhhh)

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes actually, I thought it was lost as well but a kind gentlemen gave me the file, but if you really want the dsi version your gonna have to hack it and get it to run cfw, perhaps you have something like a Discord I could give it to you or is it allowed here?

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:59 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
you can't post roms on the forums

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alrighty then

Aug 13, 2018 at 5:43 AM
Professional Whatever
Distributing roms is illegal so you'd be hard pressed to find a forum willing to host those links.

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:19 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It's a shame, because the DSiWare version had the absolute best Time Attack in my opinion.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:22 AM
Sorry for the necrobump, but I thought I'd put a dump of it here since I have a hacked n3DS and made a dump of this for someone a few months ago, thought I'd post it here as well. To be honest, I don't really see it as piracy since it's not available to be purchased anymore. Still though, support devs, especially indies that make fucking awesome games like pixel. You'll need a softmodded DSi or 3DS to install this. Also, the game is still available for redownload from the DSi Shop and eShop if you've purchased it previously, but no new purchases of it can be made.

<Removed by Noxid>

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 15, 2019 at 6:36 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Jun 15, 2019 at 3:05 PM
War criminal
And there's the fact that @CaveStoryKing64 can't even read a stated advisory by one of the staff members.
you can't post roms on the forums
Honestly, if you're really that interested in releasing it to the public, do it anywhere else but here.

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:06 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have it on my 3DS. It's not available to buy on the eShop, but you can still get it by pirating it. (I know this for reasons)

If you have a dump, you can install and play it on a CFW 3DS, and probably on DSi too but I'm not sure about that one because I haven't hacked a DSi.

So it's not lost forever.

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:53 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I thought the version that was actually thought to be lost was the Japanese DSi port?