Is it worth buying Cave Story+?

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:54 AM
"Huzzah!"
<!> Skip if you don't really care about what this was gonna be <!>
This was originally going to be "Is it worth buying Cave Story Wii" then I realized, the Wii Shop died a few months ago, then it was "Was it worth buying Cave Story Wii?" then I realized, again, nobody cared, they bought it and liked it or hated it, then it was gonna be Cave Story 3D, but I never bought it so my opinion would be irrelevant, then it was gonna be top 10 anime deaths, then I remembered this is a Cave Story site. So with all this history, you'd think this is a good overview, but, I mean, meh
To many, this would be a 100% no. Can you really blame them? This game right now has a history of criticism because of the remakes, and you think they would think this would change that? Hell no.

Price

It's Dumb,
15$ is not worth what they give us. Lets look back at the Wii versions price (rip wii shop) it was 1200 wii points which translates to 12$ and, well, no, this game adds 2 challenges and the wii Versions and better graphics and costs 3$ more. Very few, but still some, would argue that Boss Rush and Time Trial and Graphics and the new Curly Story is worth that right? The short answer is: No. Curly Story could have been a free mod that some person made because they love Cave Story and the character Curly Brace enough to put enough effort into that. Boss Rush and Time Trial, I mean, Boss Rush came straight from the forums, and for Time Trial, I'm not gonna say its simple, because I tried and couldn't get it to work, but I bet that's a mod too. Then they add 3$ for 2 challenges, but with all the current challenges and modes, in my opinion, its worth a about 6$ or 7$ at most.

Gameplay

It's the same.
They added nothing in terms of gameplay except achievements, and one of them was broken, which isn't now, but I mean, I'm stuck out of my Steam account, and it's one of the few achievements I don't have, and even if I would do it, I would have to play the whole game again, if you want the true experience just download the free version, it has old-school graphics, but I mean, that's the only difference between them, besides, again, achievements.

Music

Meh.
The electronic and echo-like vibe makes it seem forced and like they tried to make it modern, and failed, with a few exceptions: Running Hell, Pulse, White Cliffs, End of the Line, and Wind Fortress. These are placed in perfect parts of the game, Pulse for example, it's placed in quiet, big, or sad situation (same could be said for End of the Line) t made me cry as a kid, and still does, it just makes you think about whats going on, on the other hand Running Hell is nothing like that, placed perfectly it is only in 1 area, "Hell" or The Blood Stained Sanctuary, it feels like it's pushing you and telling you to rush, and gogogogo! The music echoing placement this time around escalates which is also very fitting, and Wind Fortress is a balance between them both, it makes me sleep and like I'm flying and its the song I want played at my funeral. The rest of the song however, lets say, aw hell, lets attack the first piece of music you hear when you enter the game-- (About 4 minutes and 40 seconds later) that was shit. Yeah, I never found it quite that appealing, its loud, and is just the electronic version of the title screen, it sounds like a song in a big dangerous area, instead, here take this song that will make your ears bleed at volume 40, though I think it has it's moments, but most of the charm from the 2004 retro music is gone.

Difficulties

Haha, no
Hard mode isn't hard, it's not challenging hard, it's annoying and tedious hard, Easy mode is understandable, beginners, but I never really had much trouble since the game isn't that hard anyways, I've spent hours trying to get past Monster X on that BS hard mode and once I did it, and beat hell with 3 hp, I was happy when I beat it, not cause it was fun and challenging, but because it was finally over, also, why cant you change difficulties on Curly Mode?

Graphics

Their actually pretty good
I and what's better is they kept it you can turn the music and everything back to the freeware style too, good on you NICALiS (that didn't feel right) but, the upgrade was pretty good, the graphics more modern, I don't prefer it, however that bring new people that are fans of the game, however, they probably expect a good next few of games like Cave Story 2, Oh BOY, I cant wait to see the look on their gullible faces.

I gave it a "Recommended" on Steam, I wish I could change it, this was a cash grab, it added nothing to the story, it added challenges us creative human beings could have made ourselves, and it's music (well most of it) sounded awful in my opinion. For people who have money to waste, buy it if you want, but I would say it isn't worth as much as advertised. Im gonna go play CS Wii now, goodbye.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 6:24 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
15$ is not worth what they give us.
You're right. Cuz it was originally $10 when it was released on Steam. The price change was more recent, cuz I'm certain it was still $10 when i got it in like, 2016.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
can we take a minute to appreciate this guy right here:
Annotation 2019-09-15 010154.png
I posted this thread on reddit and this guy says the extra multiplayer is worth an extra 45$, though I'm pretty sure its either 60$, like he said, or 20$, even if you search it up, its a mess, ebay is all over this game

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
can we take a minute to appreciate this guy right here:
View attachment 5708
I posted this thread on reddit and this guy says the extra multiplayer is worth an extra 45$, though I'm pretty sure its either 60$, like he said, or 20$, even if you search it up, its a mess, ebay is all over this game
WAIT, Cave Story for the Switch has multiplayer? How does that even work?

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:32 PM
"Huzzah!"
How does that even work?
it is actually quite simple my friend, you just use the 2 joy cons (or 4 in controllers if you have those lying around) and you play multiplayer

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:23 PM
War criminal
Wait, really? I remember it always being 20 USD? Can anyone confirm the price history for the game?
This confirms the original price. Kinda weird that it's been upped to $15, I can imagine it's because of the Switch port, but then why not port that onto Steam and make it $15?

Sep 15, 2019 at 5:39 PM
"Huzzah!"
This confirms the original price. Kinda weird that it's been upped to $15, I can imagine it's because of the Switch port, but then why not port that onto Steam and make it $15?

You know what this means? They lowered the price for a product with more content, "realized it was 'worth more'" so they raised the price
W H A T

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:02 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The original price on Steam was $10

What I've been told by others in the industry is : For indie devs, set your price to be equivalent to the amount of hours the player will spend in the game, I personally would multiply this number based on the quality / popularity of the game. This is to encourage developers to either conform to a microtransaction based method (TF2), or to actually just make their game replayable (Minecraft).

By today's standards, Cave Story would be worth about $3 or $4, CS+ Would be worth about $6

$10 is fine for what game it is, but $15 is overstepping. Don't even get me started on 3D or the Switch version, those are way too costly for how little they truly add.

Honestly just playing through Cave Story with Clownacy's or CSE2 is a better investment, because even there there's features NICALiS couldn't be arsed to program in.

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:39 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
...it added challenges us creative human beings could have made ourselves...

Huh, funny you mention that, as the challenges were just mods for the freeware version made by us creative human beings, adapted for Cave Story+ by NICALIS.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 6:10 AM
War criminal
Don't even get me started on 3D or the Switch version, those are way too costly
Unpopular opinion, but Cave Story 3D feels more worth its $40 than Cave Story+ feels worth its $15 or in the Switch port's case... $30? $50? Someone please clear that up to me. And the differences in quality are as clear as night and day. At least in CS3D, its bonus material is more honest than in Plus (Classic Mode vs """"""Curly Story""""""), it's otherwise the DSi port, and I see that as objectively the best one of the bunch made by Nicalis

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:17 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
DSi port, and I see that as objectively the best one of the bunch made by Nicalis
Are you just saying this because it's a rare port now? It doesn't look like it has anything that the other ports don't have, other than a smaller resolution.
I think i said this before but if I had to choose any version of the game other than freeware it'd probably be the 3DS E-Shop version, it's half the price of the steam version (at least for me, 7,25€ versus 14,99€) and it's also portable on a system I used to bring with me very frequently (albeit before the switch came around).
15€ is just too big of a price tag for a game where I can just play the freeware version of while I already have access to most features from on my 3ds, and 30€ (switch) is defenitely too much to justify a want for portability when I am fine with the original graphics and music anyway. :v
So yeah if you want to play the steam version because of it's features, I would just recommend the 3DS E-Shop version instead, even though it may not have all of these features.
That's kinda how I feel about it at least.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:03 PM
War criminal
I say that because I personally am not a fan of any of the bonus features used in CS+/Wii/eShop/Switch, and by that, I don't like speedrunning, since that's really all they provide. The DSiWare and 3DS ports just make the gameplay more optimal than the rest, standing only behind Vanilla (yes, I am aware about the Sacred Grounds time attack mode, which does make things more interesting compared to the other speedrun modes).

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:56 PM
"Huzzah!"
but $15 is overstepping.

indeed fellow forum dweller

I say that because I personally am not a fan of any of the bonus features used in CS+/Wii/eShop/Switch, and by that, I don't like speedrunning, since that's really all they provide. The DSiWare and 3DS ports just make the gameplay more optimal than the rest, standing only behind Vanilla (yes, I am aware about the Sacred Grounds time attack mode, which does make things more interesting compared to the other speedrun modes).

I disagree, but only about one thing, boss rush is either speed run or normal boss rush

Unpopular opinion, but Cave Story 3D feels more worth its $40 than Cave Story+ feels worth its $15 or in the Switch port's case... $30? $50? Someone please clear that up to me. And the differences in quality are as clear as night and day. At least in CS3D, its bonus material is more honest than in Plus (Classic Mode vs """"""Curly Story""""""), it's otherwise the DSi port, and I see that as objectively the best one of the bunch made by Nicalis

40$?! *cough cough* I mean, over priced, dumb game, all that jazz