Is Cave Story+ worth buying on Switch if I already have it on Steam?

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Did they add anything new to the Switch release?

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:31 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Only two new versions of the soundtrack and a new challenge stage. You're not missing anything else, sadly

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:01 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
There's also co op, but playing CS with two people is a pretty terrible idea. It's like someone at NICALiS saw Portal 2 co op, and said "Hey that looks good let's do that", but didn't take into account Cave Story's base gameplay mechanics. I only bought it for the soundtrack and the shit that came with the launch edition

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:33 PM
Based Member
Also, the face pictures are semi animated in the Switch version.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well there's some minor new stuff on it. If you care about that, yeah

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:02 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Didn't they do some fluid dynamics with the water's surface and alter the tileset of the cave to have a dark tileset interior. Kinda neat aesthetic tweaks.
But no gameplay changes to the cooperative mode? Sounds like a missed opportunity...

Mmmm...
After playing so many rogue-like games, it would be nice to have an optional remix mode that throws a fresh seed generation each time.
Vertical Egg Corridor? Yes we can! Sideways falling blocks in hell? Yes we can! New enemy boss patterns? Yes!!!
Just keep the story the same...

Or how about just adding mod support...

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:59 AM
War criminal
Vertical Egg Corridor? Yes we can! Sideways falling blocks in hell? Yes we can! New enemy boss patterns? Yes!!!
CSBD now to be owned by Nicalis! (Though sideways falling blocks scares me a bit, whether you mean falling at an angle, or moving at a speed like the Side Presses)

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:26 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It's really up to you wether it's worth the price.
First off if you just want a version of cave story to play everywhere? The 3DS EShop port may be a good cheaper alternative.
Compared to the steam version (and the Eshop version which has about the same content bar a challenge iirc), the switch version doesn't really have a lot of new content, most of it being the already mentioned multiplayer and a new challenge called the sand pit.
Personally I don't think the switch version is worth it for me since I already have the 3DS EShop version, while multiplayer and a single challenge aren't really worth the $30 for me especially when I don't have a lot of friends who'd be interested in it.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The new stuff are animated facepics, new soundtracks, puppy stacking, jelly inventory stacking, the sand pit challenge, portability (now with 2xRes), multiplayer, visual water effects, you can retry the booster labyrinth jump without reloading the game, plus the artwork for the box and booklet are damn lovely.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 8:16 AM
War criminal
As nice of a concept as some of the challenges are, as nice as a couple minor mechanic tweaks are, and as nice of musicians Pixel, Danny Baranowsky, and RushJet1 are, there really needs to be more of a weight in Nicalis' words "But wait, there's more!" And I don't just mean including physical trinkets alongside the game and mandatory manual.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM
Based Member
You can retry the booster labyrinth jump without reloading the game.
Interesting, how exactly does that work? As much as that might ease things for the player, it seems like it would sort of diminish the challenge and secrecy associated with getting the best ending. Then again, this is the company that in its Wiiware trailer blatantly showed the player bringing Curly into the waterway cabin.

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Interesting, how exactly does that work? As much as that might ease things for the player, it seems like it would sort of diminish the challenge and secrecy associated with getting the best ending. Then again, this is the company that in its Wiiware trailer blatantly showed the player bringing Curly into the waterway cabin.
They just made it possible to jump back up to the top without the Booster 0.8 is all. What were you imagining it was?

As nice of a concept as some of the challenges are, as nice as a couple minor mechanic tweaks are, and as nice of musicians Pixel, Danny Baranowsky, and RushJet1 are, there really needs to be more of a weight in Nicalis' words "But wait, there's more!" And I don't just mean including physical trinkets alongside the game and mandatory manual.
If you think that manuals are mandatory these days then you have been living under a rock. Most games don't even bother with manuals anymore.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 1:53 AM
War criminal
If you think that manuals are mandatory these days then you have been living under a rock. Most games don't even bother with manuals anymore.
@tyrone Please give us tutoral level :^)

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:35 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Would a tutorial level even be much more helpful though? There's like, 6 buttons lmao.

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
First Cave has always shown you how to play the game, without actually telling you how to play the game, through the use of clever level design. A tutorial level is unnecessary.

Also TLink was joking.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 1:56 PM
Based Member
They just made it possible to jump back up to the top without the Booster 0.8 is all. What were you imagining it was?
I dunno, maybe a wizard zaps you back up to the top if you want it to. This is such a big Cave Story paradigm shift that anything seems possible all of the sudden.

Sep 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM
I didn't know that actually. Seems a lot more convenient. I remember having to turn my 3ds off and then back on again if I missed that jump by a pixel. Kudos to the switch version for that.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:13 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I remember having to turn my 3ds off and then back on again if I missed that jump by a pixel.
Couldn't you just press start and hit exit game?

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:09 PM
Oh yeah, that too. I probably did that actually.