Is Cave Story + (Switch) worth it for someone who already has Cave Story + (PC/Steam)?

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:26 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I mean if you want water physics, the faces in the text box actually moving their mouths, and knowing why multiplayer on a single player game is strange in general because of the fact there would be 2 of the same character

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:00 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It seems as though Cave Story's release on the switch has brought in some new features, such as new soundtracks and levels, but I wanna know whether $30 is worth buying the game when I already have the freeware version and the steam version.
yes! it's portable, has more soundtracks (ridiculon and famitracks) and also controls better with the joycons/pro controller/gamecube controller (i use gamecube controller lol)

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:59 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
2 player? Just get CSE2O and play online with people all over the world
Water physics? again, get CSE2E and make all the water textures transparent.
2 extra soundtracks? Get original CS with Clownacy's mod loader and the soundtracks you want to hear.
Besides that, clownacy might be working on Ogg support for CSE2E.
Puppy and jellyfish juice stacking?
....well i can't argue with that
challenges?
...also can't argue with that, but you can get the original boss rush mod.
Portability?
CS is also playable on android phones, 3ds and DSi, chromebooks, and laptops.
Getting this for 30 DOLLARS is just BLOODY FUCKING STUPID, especially since there are some alternatives that are on par, or even better than what the switch version has to offer. Most of which are free. Worst part would be having to control the game with those bloody small joycons.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 5:17 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
didnt know clownacy/cucky had an alt acc /s

comparing CSE2 to the Nicalis release is like comparing an apple to an orange

Apr 24, 2019 at 7:50 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
2 player? Just get CSE2O and play online with people all over the world
It's not interactive at this point right? Very cool, but you can only follow along and play your own separate instance while seeing where the other player(s) are in the world. And chat.
Great potential already though. (Been wondering how many people even knew of its existence.)

Water physics? again, get CSE2E and make all the water textures transparent.
That's not the same thing with the moving graphical filters, slight fluid physics, etc. It could be coded eventually though. (Not to mention the lighting changes.) Geobox probably already supports something similar.

2 extra soundtracks? Get original CS with Clownacy's mod loader and the soundtracks you want to hear.
True. But, we wouldn't even have some of these soundtracks without these releases. And I say more choices the merrier.

Portability?
If you have a Switch, then why not try the best looking commercial version to date. It also gets the word out when other Switch users see you playing it.

Getting this for 30 DOLLARS is just BLOODY FUCKING STUPID, especially since there are some alternatives that are on par, or even better than what the switch version has to offer. Most of which are free. Worst part would be having to control the game with those bloody small joycons.
It's a small price to pay for the amount of advertising and solidifying it has received due to repeated decent releases. For example, I wonder how many people nowadays know of Iji. Loved that indie game as much as Cave Story. But, no commercial releases leave it to becoming lost to only the indie enthusiasts who happen upon it.
Sure, there are great alternatives to these Nicalis releases. But, how many people would never have played Cave Story then?
It's just a wild guess, but probably not nearly as many.

(Can't say anything about the joycons though lol.)
That's how I see it anyway.

Apr 24, 2019 at 8:15 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
True. But, we wouldn't even have some of these soundtracks without these releases. And I say more choices the merrier.
Clownacy's mod loader allows you to use most of the CS remixes. (I say most because it doesn't have Dynamiteman.EXE's soundtrack. Or the sega genesis soundtrack, but that soundtrack sucks.) It allows you to use all the soundtracks in the switch version, alongside the DM Dokuro OST, and Vince64's SNES soundtrack. 6 alternate soundtracks for modloader, 4 for switch.
The only reason I would find to buy the switch version would be to get the rare physical copy.
The extra features aren't bad, but you can replicate them for free. :/ 30 dollars + tax seems too much for an indie game that's probably gonna be overshadowed by better titles like MK8 Deluxe or Smash Ultimate. Sorry if I came off a bit rude.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:56 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I say most because it doesn't have Dynamiteman.EXE's soundtrack.
It is available for download by Dynamite Man.EXE himself, in the CS+ ogg format, too! You can just download that and manually configure the ogg player for it and hand those settings to Clownacy, if you'd like.