Is Cave Story + (Switch) worth it for someone who already has Cave Story + (PC/Steam)?

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:49 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It seems as though Cave Story's release on the switch has brought in some new features, such as new soundtracks and levels, but I wanna know whether $30 is worth buying the game when I already have the freeware version and the steam version.

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:11 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Short answer: It isn't

Long answer: $30 is way too expensive for two bonus features in game (CS+ originally costed $10, but then raised to $15 for some reason). Nicalis is just a total cash cow.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Here are the two features Serri was talking about:
Multiple new soundtracks.
New challenge mode.
Puppy stacking.
Jelly juice stacking.
2-Player co-op.
Animated facepics.
Water physics.
Reattempt skipping booster without having to reset.
A directional lock feature.
Physical release with sizable instruction booklet, and double-sided case cover (the art is beautifully done).

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Unless multiplayer is worth enough to you (It's just vanilla cave story except with two players after all), if you are looking for new non-aesthetic content then yeah it's not really worth it.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:07 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
The only reason I own CS Switch is for the novelty of owning the only physical release of the game.

I plan to keep it sealed in it's package and have no intention of playing it since I already have CS+ on steam and the ability to play mods that are far better than the new features can offer anyway.

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:53 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Jan 1, 2019 at 3:36 AM
War criminal
Grab the Japanese version, at least that one has better box art, and since it's on a region locked device (#FreeThe3DS), it'll be even more for novelty!

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:05 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
wait @BLink didnt you say you didnt have a switch

did you seriously buy CS+ but not the switch

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:25 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
I don't personally own a switch, but my parents do.But no I don't plan on opening it, and I would have bought it even if I didn't have access to one. I started collecting Vinyls well before I had a vinyl player. I just own physical copies of things for the sake of owning it really, a lot of them are still sealed.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:41 AM
War criminal
With it kept like that, then it very well will have at least some amount of worth in like, a few years or so

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:20 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well I guess it would be up to you, Poltergust. It is still essentially the same game with a few tweaks, added features and challenges. If you think updated graphics, puppy/jellyfish stacking and a couple new challenges is enough to buy it, go ahead. We've told you what the Switch version has, you can make up your mind if it would be worth it.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:47 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The only version of Cave Story + on the switch that is worth money is the launch version with all of the physical goodies, namely the key chain that I sent to tpcool and then he sent his to the wrong address and so instead I get like $20 and never got the curly.

The instruction booklet is pretty rad, the hint for the hidden ending was actually really clever, and I applaud NICALiS for that.
In terms of the game itself, the new lighting, water physics, and other awesome visual changes are already enough to sell me, but the multiplayer feature was something that sold me, but sadly, when NICALiS makes a game, they never update it in any meaningful way, and that includes a lack of online multiplayer.

Also one of my favorate features that they didn't advertise was the new Ridiculon soundtrack, alot of people say it sounds like shit but I disagree, it's a polar oposite of the wiiware soundtrack in that it doesn't change the melodies at all, but has orgasmic instrumentation. It gives the game a new feel, one that with all the new upgrades they had made, doesn't feel out of place.

If you stop being stingy ignore the price point, it is the definitive version of Cave Story thus far, until a new system comes out that warrants another release.

If you want NICALiS to keep making things related to Cave Story, then buy the Switch version, and maybe there will be an off chance that they actually do something really great with it.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:38 AM
War criminal
until a new system comes out that warrants another release.
Or until Tyrone remembers there were button sprites for PS4 and XBox One and ports it to them and PC

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:48 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
The only version of Cave Story + on the switch that is worth money is the launch version with all of the physical goodies, namely the key chain that I sent to tpcool and then he sent his to the wrong address and so instead I get like $20 and never got the curly.
While I hope there are no hard feelings about that (hence why I sent the $20), I don't like the way this is worded because that makes it look like the issue with the address was my mistake, when really you just supplied me with an inaccurate address. :v

Anyway, I do agree that CS+ Switch is worth it when you have all of the awesome physical collectibles. They put a ton of effort into all of the items included. However, if you already own the CS+ for PC, I would really only recommend the Switch version if you're a die-hard veteran of the game. There are a lot of cool, small changes, but I don't think it's enough to warrant purchasing it a second time (unless maybe you want to play it on-the-go).

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:40 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think it was a missed opportunity for them to have a translation option tbh.
probably complicated though, but still a cool idea

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:07 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If you like cave story as much as me and play a full run at least every 2 weeks yes

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:15 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
i love cave story so much i replace everything in it so i dont have to think about cave story anymore because i dont love it so much

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:10 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
i love cave story so much i replace everything in it so i dont have to think about cave story anymore because i dont love it so much
D E E P