Is Cave Story A prequel to Undertale?

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:25 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I just thought of this theory a while ago and wanted to get it out. Is Cave Story the prequel to Undertale? I think it is. It would explain the goat people (A Mimiga goat hybrid?). Here's my theory. In the normal CS ending, when the island falls, there could be a few surviving Mimiga. Those Mimiga could breed with the surface animals to keep there numbers growing which eventually leads to all the monsters we see in Undertale. The Mimiga Animal hybrids could have war with the humans. When they get cast to the underground by a "magic spell", the spell could actually be a very powerful type of machinery that seals them under the ground. Stuff happens and Undertale takes place, right? No? OK. You may be thinking,"Umm... Cave Story takes place in the future since it has jetpacks and energy guns and Undertale is in 201X!" Well, the CS universe could have progressed MUCH faster than ours since in the room that you put Curly in to dry out after she (almost) drowns, there is a PC with this text: "Wife bore child 4-8-08" which is a date and does not go past 201X. So, what do you think of my theory? :pignon:

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The wife bore child part is probably just a random developer's log from Pixel in August 2004.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Cave Story takes place in the year 3008. :p

More seriously, it's not likely that Toby Fox secretly made the world of Undertale vaguely related to the world of Cave Story for unclear reasons. The links are simply too flimsy.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:00 PM
Soup Man
Cave Story takes place in the year 3008. :p

More seriously, it's not likely that Toby Fox secretly made the world of Undertale vaguely related to the world of Cave Story for unclear reasons. The links are simply too flimsy.
I know. I'm a bit skeptical of the theory myself, but at least it's not as bad as "Sans is Ness"

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
With a two digit year you are essentially looking at the year XX08, pick your century. Also there is no way of determining the date format, so that could just as easily be the year XX04, in fact this is more logical.

Since cave story was still being made in 2004 and Japan adopts the year month day date format, it is expected that this is a snippit left by Pixel. However from a story perspective it could mean anything, and the date could be in any century.

And heaven forbid I bring the CS Earth debate into this, but there is no indication that our world and CS's world have any shared history.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016 at 7:07 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Those Mimiga could breed with the surface animals to keep there numbers growing which eventually leads to all the monsters we see in Undertale.
So the mimigas just breed with random animals just to keep the line of mimigas up?
Why couldn't they just mate with each other?

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:24 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
So the mimigas just breed with random animals just to keep the line of mimigas up?
shhh no logic is allowed in the theory threads

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:11 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I don't think different species are compatible with each other. If that was true wouldn't Zoophreaks like have a dog baby by now? (Vomits from mental image)

Also, this theory reminds me way too much of the Sans is Ness theory and that was a horrible theory.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:33 PM
Soup Man
I don't think different species are compatible with each other. If that was true wouldn't Zoophreaks like have a dog baby by now? (Vomits from mental image)

Also, this theory reminds me way too much of the Sans is Ness theory and that was a horrible theory.
All the female mimiga seen in the throne room left with Sue. The only mimiga left are the males in the Red Flower Breeding Plant. The males would need to breed with other animal. Even if they weren't compatible, that would lead to the mutations we see in Undertale like Gyftrot .

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:53 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Even if they weren't compatible, that would lead to the mutations we see in Undertale like Gyftrot .
if they weren't compatible, no offspring would be created meaning mutations would not happen, and if they were able to create offspring they would most likely be sterile much like mules and ligers

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Also, among some other mimiga, Santa and Chaco were both in the room where you fight the doctor in his normal and muscled forms.
And since everybody in that room seems to be gone once you pass it on your way to the balcony, it's safe to assume that Momorin and Itoh could have allowed at least some mimigas with them on the helicopter, if not more.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:17 PM
"Huzzah!"
Also, among some other mimiga, Santa and Chaco were both in the room where you fight the doctor in his normal and muscled forms.
And since everybody in that room seems to be gone once you pass it on your way to the balcony, it's safe to assume that Momorin and Itoh could have allowed at least some mimigas with them on the helicopter, if not more.

Nah, obviously they all tried to jump off the island after Quote destroyed the core, and then Kazuma had to save all their asses.

Quick question, was there like, water or something that would soften the impact, below the island?

Why did Sue think that they would have a better chance of surviving if they jumped off the island?

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:25 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Why did Sue think that they would have a better chance of surviving if they jumped off the island?
welp, a cavern-riddled island falling from possibly miles in the sky is dangerous anywhere inside it. Even if you're on the balcony and no rocks are falling on your head, it's gonna collapse into a lower floor. I dunno WHY she jumped though. Did she think they could catch them with a helicopter that quickly?

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM
Soup Man
Nah, obviously they all tried to jump off the island after Quote destroyed the core, and then Kazuma had to save all their asses.

Quick question, was there like, water or something that would soften the impact, below the island?

She knew Kazuma would pick her up because of telepathicness(?)

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM
"Huzzah!"
I like how this went from"is Cave Story connected to Undertale" to "The mating capabilities of a fictional species".

Nobody knows their mating capabilities, hell they could probably mate with humans.

Kazuma x Chaco forever
It doesn't need to make any sense,
f*ck you.

Edit: Oh, also, i'm blind, and can't read half the op post apparently.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2016 at 6:19 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
no

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Feb 28, 2016 at 7:54 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
A more appropriate idea would be : "Is Undertale a sequel to Cave Story?"

...and to be completely honest, the most similar thing about the two is the names, which I'm sure everyone knows that the names Cave Story and Undertale are synonymous.
Just my two cents on this post, you may be right for all I care.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I must agree. Even if (and I emphasise "if") Undertale was a sequel to Cave Story, then that would not necessarily mean that Cave Story is a prequel to Undertale in a canonical sense. Take Jenka's Nightmare for example. JN is a sequel to CS (which suggests that CS is part of JN canon), but CS isn't a prequel to JN (because if it was then that would suggest that JN is part of CS canon).

Last edited: