Is Ballos based on Giygas?

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, again. I have been thinking that the final boss of Cave Story, Ballos, is kinda related to the final boss of Earthbound, Giygas
Here's some things that they share in common
1.Both were persecuted
2.Both have bodies in their first form and lost them during battle
3.Both control monsters with their powers
4.Both look alike in their second forms(srsly they have lots of faces)
5.Their phases change when they take damage
5.Hardest boss battle?
7.Both are similar to how they talk(Ballos: It hurts...So hot...The pain...
Giygas: It hurts..It's not right...not right)
Can it possibly be that Pixel was inspired by Earthbound? Or is just a coincidence?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 4:08 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Points 1, 3, 5 and 6 are things that are applicable to a lot of antagonists, what's so special about them that confirms how these two are the same, but not like others that fit this?
I disagree with 4 because I can, and always have, see only one face on his second and last forms.
I also disagree with 6 because according to my experience with earthbound, Giygas wasn't even hard at all, considering it's last few forms didn't even need much from you aside from "survive and pray".

Honestly I hate to break it to ya, but these points barely prove any important connection between the two, other than that they have a few tropes in common that characters from other media may still have.
At least, in my opinion.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Points 1, 3, 5 and 6 are things that are applicable to a lot of antagonists, what's so special about them that confirms how these two are the same, but not like others that fit this?
I disagree with 4 because I can, and always have, see only one face on his second and last forms.
I also disagree with 6 because according to my experience with earthbound, Giygas wasn't even hard at all, considering it's last few forms didn't even need much from you aside from "survive and pray".

Honestly I hate to break it to ya, but these points barely prove any important connection between the two, other than that they have a few tropes in common that characters from other media may still have.
At least, in my opinion.
Oh sorry I wasnt thinking twice about the title. I was saying that is Ballos is based off Giygas