Insignificant Studio's: 'The Underside'

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:14 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Very Nice find :) But it's a Cave Story instpirated Fan Game or something...

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:44 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I just hope that they give credit to Pixel for the engine. From one of the comments on the first video they might be claiming otherwise.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:49 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'm pretty sure that's not the Cave Story engine per se - the physics seem off. It could just be poor video quality, but this game doesn't seem to have the same floaty feel to it that Cave Story does. It's still a blatant imitation, of course.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:21 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
I just hope that they give credit to Pixel for the engine. From one of the comments on the first video they might be claiming otherwise.

Iam 99% sure that I readed (sorry i know thats incorrect, damn verbs >_<) that they don't use the engine.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:24 PM
"..."
If they aren't using it they're sure as hell going to great lengths to make it look like they are. Everything looks like edited Cave Story sprites, the numbers for damage are the same, the jetpack, spikes, objects, everything looks like a Cave Story edit.

Also, I'm thinking the video was sped up, that's why it doesn't look quite as floaty.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Someone's either used it and sped it up, or done a lot of work to emulate it. There's one boss which is very close to Ballos, and some of the enemies are the same. The booster 2.0 is used, and the little red numbers are screaming Cave Story.

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:46 PM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
So what if the numbers are the same, alot of NES games used the same number graphics.
But it just seems like imitation, what with the grasstown-like area and the "oh no i don't remember anything" beginning.
seriously... Ip as a name... ugh.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:12 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
dood its the same engine. there is no debate.
everything about the game parallels cave story
like even him waking up without memory

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:20 AM
"..."
Waking up without memory isn't really a Cave Story thing, though. I've played several games where the main character has no memory - Galuf from FF5, for example. Saying it's just like Cave Story because of that is stupid.

Using the more obvious reasons, such as using the EXACT numbers with the EXACT shade of red for the EXACT same purpose as in Cave Story in the EXACT way is one good reason.

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:01 AM
Osmose said:
Waking up without memory isn't really a Cave Story thing, though. I've played several games where the main character has no memory - Galuf from FF5, for example. Saying it's just like Cave Story because of that is stupid.

Well, i think because of the fact that it starts the character out in a cave-like area, what with the rockyness and the drops from the ceiling; (i dont know if that was in Underside, but w/e) and the spinning floppy disk, it starts out cave-story like. The maps look different, but very similar is some ways, though...
I dunno. I guess I'm still on the fence about this.

"Ip"... >_<

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:18 AM
"..."
Ip is the name of the cat?

Dunno. Yip can be a dog name, or Yippy. One letter difference. :)

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:52 AM
I thought it was after a computer's IP address, y'know, the know "computer term" name scheme thing.

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:55 PM
Hoxtilicious
Eh, Pixel like Cats, so that would be a reason why there is a Cat in the Game.

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:29 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I don't know why they'd mod the game to display the HP as a number without a line... it seems more like an intentional clone than a mod.

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:49 PM
Hoxtilicious
Yeh I'am also pretty sure that it's a Fangame or a Clone.