Infractions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2010 at 9:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
How about we switch over to the infraction system?

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:33 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Opposed to...?

What was it before?

Or how about them warning meters that other forums have?

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:43 PM
daughter of chivalry
Not like I can make decisions around here, but hmm..perhaps. But nothing really bad happens around here aside from some minor dickery (on my part) and morlonoboi clones

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
to be honest, I don't think this forum is big enough to warrant an infraction system.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Yeah I noticed that :\ I suppose once we reach the threshold where it's annoying for the mods to asses and determine individually whether a user should be banned or not, they'll just put it in.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think the infractions system sounds like a decent idea. DT doesn't really like it, from what I can recall. I think it would be good to keep track of and reprimand users for large amounts of small misdemeanors (spam posts is an example off the top of my head) rather than having to wait for one single offense large enough to warrant taking more direct action.

EDIT: As a side note, I think I should mention that I believe the infractions system is already on. Whether it's set up properly or not I don't know, so I've dared not touch it.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:48 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I've noticed that one other forums an infraction system usually leads to "oh, he did something really minor, I'll just give him an infraction" and before you know it everyone's banned.

Or maybe the admins were just dicks over there. I dunno. I support the simplest system, you're banned or you're not. The Stephinian way.

Stephinia is a fictional planet in a continuity of things I'm not writing. For a while, the Stephinian legal system had the death penalty for almost all crimes. Combined with genetic engineering it worked pretty well.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:52 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I'll screw around with the vBulletin options tomorrow maybe, but I'm not sure I can set up the vBulletin infraction system in a way that I actually like. It doesn't seem particularly intuitive.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
As explosive said, we're not a big enough forum to have infractions. It's better to settle things personally since there are like 20 active users here. Besides it's not like anything serious or offensive happens here anymore with both Fire and Fab gone. I guess the only purpose the infraction system would serve is making short post suspensions for posting one-word posts.

But sure. Go for it.

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM
daughter of chivalry
Sexual posts will probably be cracked down on too, right?

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM
graters gonna grate
Not necessarily, as long as they're somewhat on topic.

And an infractions system sounds like a good idea, since it would mean that nosy people (like me) who demand an explanation for everything could just look at the infractions, instead of bugging the mods/admins, which would make their job easier. It's generally easier to debate a small issue like a single infraction than a larger one like a whole account being banned.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM
/end
JakeXanth said:
I prefer the system where doing stupid shit gets you a (1-7 based on how severe)-point infraction. Seven points on your account is a ban until you don't have seven points on your account. Infractions are expirable after 30 days.
Opinions?

A better way would be to make the limit somewhere around 20 and have different infractions count as different points. Such as:

Spam - 1 point
Flaming - 3 points
Infraction whining - 2 points

Et cetera.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
MetaSeraphim said:
A better way would be to make the limit somewhere around 20 and have different infractions count as different points. Such as:

Spam - 1 point
Flaming - 3 points
Infraction whining - 2 points

Et cetera.

sounds good to me, however infractions should expire over periods of time (like jakey said), or else a not very spammy user could get banned over the period of two years for almost nothing, and sixtyseconds would be banned in a month.

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM
graters gonna grate
^ this

And define "infraction whining". Disputing an infraction should be allowed (even one against someone other than yourself), but disputes over minor infractions should be kept to visitor/private messages.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:43 PM
I'm against an infraction system, especially on a forum of this size. Another forum I'm on that has an even smaller amount of people doesn't use one either, since nothing ever happens.

Setting up a set-in-stone policy for how infractions work will lead to more conflict than a case-to-case assessment. Ex: I post a comment that is debatebly spam, and I get butthurt because I don't want that point on my account, and then flame war ensues and 3 people leave/get banned.

There isn't enough problems on this forum for a need of an infraction system. Plus the point of an infraction system is so all mods can see who is a troublemaker so they know whether or not to ban him. Our community is small enough that we all know who we hate, so it's really quite unnecessary.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:55 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Exactly.

Bans sort of work like nukes, you rarely ever have to use them, and when you do the problem is gone. All an infraction system does is cheapen the whole thing and cause more problems than they solve (absolutely none). A PM to the troublemaker in question is more than enough for a pre-ban measure.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Pirate Member
I agree with both Schilcote and Shadow The Past as weird as his name might sound.

Unless we are faced with serious problems that need solving, the infractions system would be as useful as a penis helicopter.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM
daughter of chivalry
Shadow has the right idea.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:22 PM
Schilcote said:
I think I saw a helidong flying around in front of a big formal speech once. Some guy tried to catch it. It was hillarious.
I saw that too. I think it was on World's Dumbest or something.

JakeXanth said:
Whatever broskis.
Perhaps we can review this idea at another time.

>implying this forum will become popular enough that it would be necessary.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM
dude we're getting like 1 - 2 new users a week right now

could happen

Status
Not open for further replies.