In Need of Help <Concerning ORG Maker>

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alright. So, here's my problem. I have lately been trying to create some music using ORG Maker, and everything was going fine up until now. I've begun to notice that some of the notes are skipping. For example, I have very long, whole-measure-long notes that are completely skipped. I do not know why it is doing this. I have also noticed that notes from the songs in the actual game are skipped when I'm playing. Does anybody know why this is happening?

Edit1: The problem only seems to be happening with notes from D sharp on the 3rd scale and up.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm, a strange problem, this seems. Would you mind posting your .org here so I can take a look at it?

Are you using OrgMaker 2 or the original one? It may be a problem with playback from the editor itself, but I can't tell without the .org itself. I've never heard of this before, myself, so I'm quite puzzled here.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L113FVFC

This is it. In another version, I lowered the high notes at the beginning two octaves, and that seemed to fix it, but I figure it'll get pretty annoying without the ability to use higher notes. I switched the first eight long notes back. Thank you in advance.

Edit1: Oh yes, I forgot. I used the original ORG Maker to make this. I switched to ORG Maker 2, though.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
This is... strange. It plays just fine for me. o_O

I'm not quite sure what to say here. Everything works on my end. Hmm... maybe it's just your sound output being wacky or something? Do you happen to run Vista? Not sure if that would cause any wacky problems but it's always a possibility.

Sorry I can't help more. Do songs sound fine in-game?

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:07 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Oh, I've got a problem like this. On my desktop computer, I can hear notes skipping in-game.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:33 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I wonder... does it skip if you do this :
try lowering sound acceleration for Cave Story...
Control Panel -> Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio tab -> Sound Playback Advanced -> Performance Tab -> Lower Hardware Acceleration one from off or all the way off.

This helped people who had severe sound related problems with cave story [usually resulting in crashes, although I remember strange things happening with sound skipping when I first had that problem]

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
X-Calibar said:
Control Panel -> Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio tab -> Sound Playback Advanced -> Performance Tab -> Lower Hardware Acceleration one from off or all the way off.

This helped people who had severe sound related problems with cave story [usually resulting in crashes, although I remember strange things happening with sound skipping when I first had that problem]

Ah, thank you. That solved the problem.

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:41 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Better yet, people rarely update their sound card drivers especially if they have a problem with Audio !
Installing the latest drivers may fix this problem thoroughly and you may don't need to lower the hardware acceleration.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:41 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
X-Calibar said:

Thanks, that fixed up the problem completely. :p

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:53 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Haithm said:
Better yet, people rarely update their sound card drivers especially if they have a problem with Audio !
Installing the latest drivers may fix this problem thoroughly and you may don't need to lower the hardware acceleration.
Wish that worked for me :p
If I don't lower the acceleration when I use org maker, it will randomly completely freeze XP and I have to hold the power button to cut it off, before I can do anything ;)
I blame it on the built in motherboard soundcard which I don't even use... CMedia RealTek AC97 or something?

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Okay
X-Calibar said:
Wish that worked for me :p
If I don't lower the acceleration when I use org maker, it will randomly completely freeze XP and I have to hold the power button to cut it off, before I can do anything :p
I blame it on the built in motherboard soundcard which I don't even use... CMedia RealTek AC97 or something?
You are confusing me!
"I blame it on the built in motherboard soundcard which I don't even use"
You blame something you don't use yet you can lower the settings to make it work? HAH ?!

EDIT: Are you using a stand-alone sound card?
Also, If you want a really good built-in sound card then Analog Devices built-in sound cards (They name them ADI in short)are what you need. They are nearly as good as a stand-alone sound card. RealTek isn't that good and even VIA built-in sound cards (Which are not specialized with built-in sound cards) are better than a RealTek.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:50 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Looking in Device Manager, I simply can't find the built-in soundcard aka the AC 97', although I know it exists on the motherboard. I believe I disabled it once and now I can't find it?? Or maybe it's because I have a stand-alone Audigy 2 platinum soundcard installed as well. No other programs have given me the same problem.
But, because the motherboard has the AC 97' on it, it seems to cause these errors and crash Cave Story maybe through memory calls or something... Not really sure at all to tell you the truth.

But, a quick look at google, reveals that people with the AC97' have experienced these similar crashes or errors when they have that chipset on their motherboard...
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic64050.html
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26109085
I didn't want the AC97' at all, but I thought it came as part of the computer combo I recieved... oh well, at least Cave Story runs without problems. [I just have to adjust the acceleration for the orgmaker]

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:07 AM
Okay
Egad! It is Realtek! .
FYI: AC'97 = Audio Codec interface . "97" comes from the year 1997 which was developed by Intel in the that year. It becomes old. HD sound cards are the newest. Go to Wikipedia for more.

It seems they and YOU have to unplug your very own separated sound card then boot Windows XP till It finds the C-Media Realtek chipset (Might be defined as Unknown Multimedia audio controller or something like that). Go to device manager then disable it. Shut down your computer and plug your separated sound card then boot Windows XP then lets see if that works ! (Don't forget to get back the full Hardware acceleration and test it).

EDIT: I am very optimistic about my solution. I read the posts on those forums and no one of hardware geeks suggests what I said before. I am not a geek and I am not good with hardware but sometime I get success to fix stuff while others couldn't.