Imscared : A Pixelated Nightmare (2016 Version)

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:05 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I didn't see any threads about this game and I think it deserves some attention so I'll make a thread

Imscared : A Pixelated Nightmare

Imscared was originally a small free indie game by Ivan Zanotti released in 2012 on GameJolt (Download Here : http://gamejolt.com/games/imscared-a-pixelated-nightmare/10058). It was unique in it's way that it kinda made your computer a part of the game and never breaks but pushes right against the fourth wall. What I mean by that is... well you would have to play it yourself to know.

The game centers around a sentient glitch in a small indie horror game that torments the player. During the game you must outsmart it by making your way through different levels of the indie game and solve puzzles. The game looks amatuer when you smart playing but it becomes INCREDIBLY clever as you go on.

And the latest game coming from Steam Greenlight is no exception. The new game gives you unique ways to play through puzzles. The game does stuff like :
send you youtube videos showing hidden passages, sends an INI file to your folder allowing you to change the ammo in your empty gun, even using steam achievements to make the game creepier.

It is best played blind but keep in mind it is a horror game and while it is more about the puzzle solving and mystery the game still can get a bit jumpy at some points. One of the best games I have seen to come out of Steam Greenlight.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/429720/

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016 at 1:43 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
oh, boy. that isn't easy on the eyes...

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:33 PM
too scared

So if I were you I could say "imscared?".

And also the only part of this game that is truly trying to freak you out and jump out at you
is near the end if you choose the door instead of the flower. WF starts screaming at you INCREDIBLY LOUD cuz... he's scared.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2016 at 3:04 PM
oh, boy. that isn't easy on the eyes...
Yeah, the low render distance is annoying. Especially during the store section when
you turn cut the power so you can reset the PC. You go back into the store and you hear heavy breathing that sounds like it is literally right behind you. If you thought it was low before then... hehehehehe.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:12 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I remember playing that game in late 2013, it was scary yet thrilling, and I liked every time I prevailed in the later sections when I ended up outsmarting the enemy......but you gotta love those jump scares......

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:20 PM
I remember playing that game in late 2013, it was scary yet thrilling, and I liked every time I prevailed in the later sections when I ended up outsmarting the enemy......but you gotta love those jump scares......
If you liked the original free version well the first section of the game is pretty much the original game remastered. It's now in 16:9 and some new features have been added.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM
lol
Really 16:9, that makes it much better than before instantly. Is the game still free? And what new features are there?

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:50 AM
Really 16:9, that makes it much better than before instantly. Is the game still free? And what new features are there?

I dunno whenever I showed the game friend they would alwyd complain about the smallness of the screen. as for the new features the game interacts with you by sometimes sending you internet links, has you mess with INI files, etc.. i can't tell too much about the new mechanics without spoilers.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM
lol
I don't mind spoilers for horror games (I feel like I miss out on alot whenever I play them anyways), and really internet links? I'm surprised the creator has come far from just notepad messages. And what are INI-files?

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:54 PM
And what are INI-files?
In games they are usually used for settings or save files. They can be easily updated by the game making it easy to configure and save. They can be easily opened in notepad and are very hack-able making it easy for devs to debug certain rooms they don't have access to yet. But this game uses them so that the PLAYER can edit them and use it to their advantage. Outsmarting WF.

An example of this used in game is :
the game gives you a gun with no bullets but it creates an INI file in your folder that reads

[revolver]
bullets="0.00000"

which you can change to have more bullets.

And yep. The game sends you internet links. Even at one point if you happened to die earlier in game it closes out and automatically opens up your browser to a youtube video called "How To Play IMSCARED". What a troll.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2016 at 4:41 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well, I decided to buy Imscared last weekend and only now decided to play past Part 1. I haven't managed to get one of the real endings yet, but that's only because I ended up missing three or so achievements during my first playthrough. I managed to get both missed achievements in Part 1 out of the way, but I'm really not looking forward to getting the achievement I missed in Part 2. Not only does it put me more on edge than Part 1 did, but it also has the worst puzzle in the entire game.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:16 AM
Well, I decided to buy Imscared last weekend and only now decided to play past Part 1. I haven't managed to get one of the real endings yet, but that's only because I ended up missing three or so achievements during my first playthrough. I managed to get both missed achievements in Part 1 out of the way, but I'm really not looking forward to getting the achievement I missed in Part 2. Not only does it put me more on edge than Part 1 did, but it also has the worst puzzle in the entire game.

Oh, are you talking about the station? Yeah, I hated that part too. But luckily the time I got it I got it triumphantly. I didn't see HER once during the whole thing and got all phonographs within less then 5 minutes. And I eventually got used to the puppets. But they still ticked me off.

In my opinion the most unnerving part of the game (besides the end) was the store.

By the way if you want to know how to get all the achievements in part 2 here are all the ones I can remember

Thanks for Staying - When you find the first dead guy/statue stay in the other dimension for 5 seconds and you will get the achievement.

Lucky Tickets - This one was the one that was pretty easy to find out. Just get a ticket at all three times the trains come. You can change your date and time settings like I did because skool happens and I prefer not to play Imscared in the middle of the night. The game is named this for a reason.

Peek-a-two - If you have already beaten the first part just look through the hole again and you will either get both Peek-a-boo and Peek-a-two or just Peek-a-two. Depending on if you got Peek-a-boo already during the first part. I really hope that made sense.

Not to see - Easily missed. Doesn't necessarily take place during the 2nd part but you need to play the 1st part a second time to get it. After the tag section assuming you have master tag in your achievements you will be transported to an area with a sign saying "You shouldn't be here". Walk forward till you reach a fence and you will get this achievement. Just trust me when I say exit the game right after you get this achievement.

Thank GOD Ivan didn't add any achievements during the Station. I would've never beat this game if I had to play through that level and do some hokey-dokey-woopidy-doo crap in THAT level.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Oh, are you talking about the station? Yeah, I hated that part too. But luckily the time I got it I got it triumphantly. I didn't see HER once during the whole thing and got all phonographs within less then 5 minutes. And I eventually got used to the puppets. But they still ticked me off.

In my opinion the most unnerving part of the game (besides the end) was the store.

By the way if you want to know how to get all the achievements in part 2 here are all the ones I can remember

Thanks for Staying - When you find the first dead guy/statue stay in the other dimension for 5 seconds and you will get the achievement.

Lucky Tickets - This one was the one that was pretty easy to find out. Just get a ticket at all three times the trains come. You can change your date and time settings like I did because skool happens and I prefer not to play Imscared in the middle of the night. The game is named this for a reason.

Peek-a-two - If you have already beaten the first part just look through the hole again and you will either get both Peek-a-boo and Peek-a-two or just Peek-a-two. Depending on if you got Peek-a-boo already during the first part. I really hope that made sense.

Not to see - Easily missed. Doesn't necessarily take place during the 2nd part but you need to play the 1st part a second time to get it. After the tag section assuming you have master tag in your achievements you will be transported to an area with a sign saying "You shouldn't be here". Walk forward till you reach a fence and you will get this achievement. Just trust me when I say exit the game right after you get this achievement.

Thank GOD Ivan didn't add any achievements during the Station. I would've never beat this game if I had to play through that level and do some hokey-dokey-woopidy-doo crap in THAT level.

>not playing Imscared in the middle of the night
What are you? A casul?

Honestly, the metro puzzle doesn't agree with me because I hate being chased in tight spaces or mazes. It probably would have been better if the main threat actually made sound, but instead all you could hear was the gramophones you needed to break. Of course, I also ran into the main threat as the gramophone music was getting louder, so for half of my next attempt I thought the music getting louder was a bad thing.

I not only looked around after getting "Not to see," but also looked right into its face and pressed E. Get at me, m8.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:59 PM
Mar 5, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2016 at 10:58 PM
Why don't you replay part 1 and find out? ;)

I can't because... well you haven't beat the game yet so I shall not say but I just remembered that you don't have to go through the entirety of the Station again to get the 2 part 2 achievements because the beginning area of the game (the hallway with all the doors) serves as a hubworld now. You can skip right to the maze and find the first statue and get thanks for staying, go back, then go to the station and use the key right away on the train station door so you don't even have to go through the maze. The game doesn't make you replay too much at least. So you don't have to exactly play through part 2 again.