Iji

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:59 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
my lack of designing skills and lack of patience when it comes to drawing slow me down on that part of making a game... i'm basically an overloaded video game concept folder :p
/off topic
ON TOPIC... sorta:
shippo said he tried to draw iosa, he then said he screwed up but i don't remember what part :D
now truly on topic:
a fun thing to do after beating iji is to temporarily replace the music.
u.n. owen was her is a good boss battle replacement during asha battles.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
i tried to completely replace Iji music with stuff from Cave Story. it didn't work, for whatever reason. thinking of trying again at some point.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Malpercio said:
i tried to completely replace Iji music with stuff from Cave Story. it didn't work, for whatever reason. thinking of trying again at some point.

Why would you do that? The music from Iji is awesome.

Also does anyone know how to fix the graphical lag during boss fights? I dont remember having this problem on my older shitter laptop.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM
Pirate Member
xristosx said:

and i have all 6 sector songs on my mp3 player and would just like a little variety XD

graphics lag? <insert something about turn the graphics settings down or play in window as that forces certain settings off>

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
xristosx said:

Also does anyone know how to fix the graphical lag during boss fights? I dont remember having this problem on my older shitter laptop.

Try playing in windowed mode, and turn off gamma/special effects in the Options section of the main menu. That's probably the most you can do to stop lag.

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Malpercio said:
and i have all 6 sector songs on my mp3 player and would just like a little variety XD

graphics lag? <insert something about turn the graphics settings down or play in window as that forces certain settings off>

carrotlord said:
Try playing in windowed mode, and turn off gamma/special effects in the Options section of the main menu. That's probably the most you can do to stop lag.

Yay completed a pacifist game today and i got the banana gun and massacre.
Thanks both of you, the graphics changes helped and i didnt have any lag, so the final boss fight was really enjoyable.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Speaking of the final battle, I actually like the low quality music for it more because the keyboard chords get drowned out in the HQ one :/

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Eh, i beat this game a veeeery long time ago. Also, is there a guy (or not actually a guy) who beat at least one of "Remar games speedruns"? (I don't actually know what is name for that, because i cant even remember last time i played Iji)

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:
Speaking of the final battle, I actually like the low quality music for it more because the keyboard chords get drowned out in the HQ one :/

Yeah thanks for spoiling it for me

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
Yeah thanks for spoiling it for me

You're only allowed to say this if he actually spoils anything of importance, and talking about the song (heck about the CHORDS of the song) doesn't really spoil much for you, does it?

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Another game I probably shouldn't just leave rotting on my desktop..

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You're only allowed to say this if he actually spoils anything of importance, and talking about the song (heck about the CHORDS of the song) doesn't really spoil much for you, does it?
I think that was the joke

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:34 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ancient topic bumped.

(I discovered this game on the forums actually, or was it IRC? Either way, this thread might have had some connection with it.)

I was able to get through about one sector per day I played, but today I decided to finish up the last few sectors I had left. I did my best to not look at any spoilers and just play blindly.

After finishing with a heaping pile of kills, I've decided to move on to attempting a pacifist run. Woot.

Iji is absolutely fantastic, and I'm glad it exists. At first the graphics do come off as being too simplistic, but it quickly grew on me and the subtle animation in the cutscenes more than makes up for it. The audio is great; I love the voice acting and the music is well done.

For the first few sectors, I was more focused on picking up the gameplay, and didn't really understand a lot of the story for the most part. ^^; Replaying will probably fix that.

I struggled a bit with the bosses, but

I'm glad the game gives small hints as to how to defeat the boss after you die, so you get a chance to figure things out for yourself. I really enjoyed the boss battles this way for the most part.

Also, I completely forgot that

the Resonance Reflector could be used to deflect the bullets of larger enemies until I battled Tor. Oops. It would have saved me a lot of ammunition and damage trying to defeat those humongous enemies that can electrocute Iji. Well, I'll have more of a chance to do this in the pacifist run I'm attempting. It does make me wonder why using an enemy's attacks against them is considered "pacifism", since you were the one who initiated the attack.

Yeah, this is definitely a game I'll need to play several times to relish even further...and its forum thread is kind of difficult to find because a search for "iji" yields no results in the forums. (I think the title is too short.) I've only skimmed through this entire thread a few times so I have undoubtedly reiterated things that were previously said. I do appreciate being introduced to this game, though. Thanks DT!

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:42 AM
Professional Whatever
God this is still the best game. I originally loved playing pacifist every time I played, but now I prefer beating the shit out of literally everything I see.

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Random-storykeeper said:
the Resonance Reflector could be used to deflect the bullets of larger enemies until I battled Tor. Oops. It would have saved me a lot of ammunition and damage trying to defeat those humongous enemies that can electrocute Iji. Well, I'll have more of a chance to do this in the pacifist run I'm attempting. It does make me wonder why using an enemy's attacks against them is considered "pacifism", since you were the one who initiated the attack.
Well, technically THEY'RE the ones who initiated the attack. You're just providing something for the shot to bounce off of, preferably right back into their faces. The pacifism kills tend to get a little ridiculous when it comes to kicking turret heads and launching those hoverbike things at enemies, though. In that case, you're the one who started it, but whatever.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:23 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Random-storykeeper said:
Thanks DT!
Haha no problem, I'd forgotten large chunks of the game anyway until I looked them up a couple of months ago :D I do remember when two kills used to be the minimum and

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

none of the final Tasen stronghold could survive

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
The game's okay, but the inability to shoot while airborne annoys me. I mean, I understand that dodging all bullets is probably not the point, but man, I wish I could at least jump around like a maniac and rain death and destruction.

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Iji is fantastic and I love it to pieces <3

It's among the first games I ever played on a computer, actually, along with Cave Story, Minecraft, and "Nothing". Of the four, I'm of the mind that only Cave Story trumps it for me. The believable story is probably my favorite part, but it's chock-full of so much of my favorite things that my emotional attachments are, in all honesty, probably the only reason that I like Cave Story more.

Also, for some reason my first time playing was a pacifist run and that continues to be my favorite kind. I also enjoy hoarding ammo and not using it for equally inexplicable reasons.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:37 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Polaris said:
Also, for some reason my first time playing was a pacifist run and that continues to be my favorite kind. I also enjoy hoarding ammo and not using it for equally inexplicable reasons.
Yeah, I kinda had that problem as well when I tried to do a normal run-n'-gun run (after my pacifist run, of course). Sure, I ended up getting a bunch of ammo for increasingly destructive guns, but what if I needed that ammo for later?

I did use said ammo occasionally, but I think the only ammo I used consistently was machine gun ammo, which was mainly used to power the buster gun (or whatever the combination of the shotgun and machine gun was called).

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:58 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I tend to use ammunition a lot in non-pacifistic runs (especially if it means getting certain stuff which are hidden in each sector).
In pacifistic runs, though, Shotgun works best for me (for most of the enemies that don't count towards kill count) but it helps to have other weapons as well, if only for some shortcuts.

Should probably try to actually finish a full pacifistic run eventually, I haven't managed that at all yet. =o

Does anyone have any tips for pacifist-run sector 7 boss?