If you wanted to add gameplay mechanics or a gameplay style from another franchise into Cave Story, what would it be and why?

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:54 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I was thinking maybe Metroid or Mega Man, probably because.... It's a jumping and shooting platformer.
Especially Mega Man. The idea of being able to get boss abilities would be just fucking awesome. Especially being able to shoot the white balls from core/undead core and obliterate everything.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:00 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
you would add the same gameplay style as the one it already has?

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:11 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
you would add the same gameplay style as the one it already has?
I thought it would be cool if Cave Story had Mega Man's gameplay style.
You can get the abilities of the bosses you beat (aside from Balrog boss battle in shack, he doesn't fire any projectile)
You can't aim any other direction aside from the front of your face, but in exchange you have infinite projectile range.
You also start off with a peashooter, just like any other Mega Man game.
Not the same gameplay style.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:23 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
i mean sure there are some differences but we're not exactly breaking the bank here. how about if cave story was a colony simulation game like Rimworld, that would be cool. you could get mimigas to dig tunnels and fight critters and die of diseases. Then you get too many and they all have a mental breakdown and eat red flowers and destroy the whole thing.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:24 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I thought it would be cool if Cave Story had Mega Man's gameplay style.
You can get the abilities of the bosses you beat (aside from Balrog boss battle in shack, he doesn't fire any projectile)
You can't aim any other direction aside from the front of your face, but in exchange you have infinite projectile range.
You also start off with a peashooter, just like any other Mega Man game.
Not the same gameplay style.
Excuse me if I sound (kinda) rude, but that not what I would call game play style.
It's more of a gimmick or heck a style if we look in differents ways.
Anyway, I think that Cave Story could go well with Star Tropics style, a bit of Zelda as exploration and puzzles and a fighting system similar to Star Tropics b̶u̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ .

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:30 PM
Excuse me if I sound (kinda) rude, but that not what I would call game play style.
It's more of a gimmick or heck a style if we look in differents ways.
Anyway, I think that Cave Story could go well with Star Tropics style, a bit of Zelda as exploration and puzzles and a fighting system similar to Star Tropics b̶u̶t̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ .
I think a better word would probably be gameplay mechanics.
Should've said that before.
But in terms of gameplay style, I can also say that a shoot-em-up gamestyle would be fine for CS, mostly the bosses
Imagine playing CS on a vertical screen, shooting shitloads of machine gun pellets at the core as it shoots a barrage of lasers and bullets to return the favor

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:51 PM
War criminal
Dr. Fuyuhiko Date presents: Plantation Tycoon

"Hire" some mimigas to build your farming spots, use them to grow whatever crop you find necessary, including, but not limited to: Blue flowers, White flowers, Golden flowers, and the all-time favorite: Red flowers. Host a couple jails for any mimiga that decides to be a bad boy and you wish to give them a time out for misbehaving! This wouldn't do at all for your new army!
House your mimigas, "hire" more to farm for you, one of them even offers to go fishing at the nearby lake for you! Hire Droll bodyguards to protect your mimigas from any robotic threat that'll happen to come across your farmgrounds anytime soon! You can even use the now vacant Yamashita farm as some sort of zen garden all to yourself!
And you say if there's more? Of course there is! Bug repellent, bat repellent, new knowledge perks, new Pixelings, new quests, and legs! Guys... Legs!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 9:12 PM
"Huzzah!"
It would be cool if Cave Story had a long jump feature.

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:24 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I was thinking maybe Metroid or Mega Man, probably because.... It's a jumping and shooting platformer.
Especially Mega Man. The idea of being able to get boss abilities would be just fucking awesome. Especially being able to shoot the white balls from core/undead core and obliterate everything.
what would happen after you beat ballos

maybe you can create crowns and destroy the world :o:muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc:

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:51 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Brb adding junctioning and triple triad to the game for a totally balanced experience

Apr 25, 2019 at 7:01 AM
Stoned Member
Let's make Cave Story a dating sim, that's a good idea right?

RIGHT!?

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:16 PM
Apr 25, 2019 at 10:02 PM
Stoned Member
Oh how innocent you are. I reminisce about Cave++ and wonder how many gacha games I need to play to summon Lillin and have him kick me in the stomach.

I've seen Cave Story areas be put into Doom somewhere around on youtube, it looks rather interesting, but there seems to be no download and several videos have just up and vanished. Cave Story would translate surprisingly well into a fast paced simple shooter like Doom.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Well giving Cave Story a multiplayer optional roguelike mode would make pretty slick extra feature. I'd pay for a Vagante/Spelunky type of extra mode for Cave Story. Runtime generated maps, random boss encounters, random items, maybe time limits until bad things happen in certain areas, pick up the other player in coop; let your imagination go wild.

How about Cave Story Olympics. An extra mode to race fellow players in a variety of challenges on the same map. Probably no weapons, but sections of various jetpacks. Maybe you'll have to do that famous red line pixel perfect jump; bounce or hop on various critters, jetpack through obstacles avoiding spikes which send you back a bit; dodging incoming beetle and bat swarms; etc etc. Reach for 1st place!

And then of course there probably should be a music game of some sort. Featuring ORG music and Cave Story in a crazy rave of dancing and shooting enemies. No idea. But, make it happen.

Oh... one more, how about a catch Sue and Quote with KAzuma on the dragon, while dodging falling rocks and NPCs mini-game.

EDIT: Oh oh, a Kazuma, Booster on a bike mini-game... "It won't stop....!!!"

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 4:01 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
climb from celeste. it'd help a lot with platforming, especially pre-booster 0.8/2.0. they could also change the last cave to have certain parts requiring some climbing. plus, it'd be able to let you grapple onto ledges with the tow rope!

Apr 28, 2019 at 11:57 PM
The dash ability should also be added too, but more akin to Mega Man X. Quote moves faster on air than he does on ground (with the booster 0.8/2.0), and most of the time you'll be running on ground.
Dash ability from Mega Man X means quote can jump after dashing to keep the speed in air.

May 5, 2019 at 9:38 PM
"Huzzah!"
Every game is better with a grappling hook

May 6, 2019 at 11:47 AM
"Huzzah!"
The ability to stop and/or slow down time kinda like in Super Hot or Transistor (Anybody, Transistor?).
Anyways, I think it would be a neat addition because it would make the whole thing more strategic...of course it would also be an overpowered ability.

May 7, 2019 at 2:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How about a Cave Story beat-em-up like Final Fight or Streets of Rage? The weapons could be picked up and used strategically, and it'd be neat to showcase bosses in a new way.