If you wanted to add gameplay mechanics or a gameplay style from another franchise into Cave Story, what would it be and why?

May 7, 2019 at 3:53 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
How about a Cave Story beat-em-up like Final Fight or Streets of Rage? The weapons could be picked up and used strategically, and it'd be neat to showcase bosses in a new way.
Honestly I'd prefer for it to be more akin to streets of rage, especially the second game
I'd also like some variety in the stages like battletoads did with it's racing and rope stage (despite being horrible)
But what enemies would we add to make it more like a beatemup? Critters are too small and weak to even be considered an enemy, and it'd be hard to hit them with their size, besides power critters which are bigger than quote
I also think that unless the Beat-em-up follows the original CS story, Quote and Curly shouldn't be the only playable characters.
Throw Balrog and possibly Sue in there too! Maybe Misery, she would be op

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:08 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I wonder what their special attacks are when their power meters go full. I mean, Quote and Curly gotta do more than firing their KamehameSpur.

May 7, 2019 at 8:38 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I wonder what their special attacks are when their power meters go full. I mean, Quote and Curly gotta do more than firing their KamehameSpur.
Quote and Curly tow rope together and blast wildly at everything while spinning (at full health you may end up shooting ducks instead)

Booster v2.0 to the enemy's eye and launch all your super missiles (take some damage)

Curly calls the Mimiga kids which proceed to bash the enemy harmlessly, until... they all turn frenzied (or maybe sometimes frenzied show up instead?)

Quote/Curly goes ? and Balrog crashes down onto the enemy, they proceed to hop on and fire downwards over the field as they fly around off screen (chance that Balrog lands on you instead)

May 7, 2019 at 10:17 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well giving Cave Story a multiplayer optional roguelike mode would make pretty slick extra feature. I'd pay for a Vagante/Spelunky type of extra mode for Cave Story. Runtime generated maps, random boss encounters, random items, maybe time limits until bad things happen in certain areas, pick up the other player in coop; let your imagination go wild.

How about Cave Story Olympics. An extra mode to race fellow players in a variety of challenges on the same map. Probably no weapons, but sections of various jetpacks. Maybe you'll have to do that famous red line pixel perfect jump; bounce or hop on various critters, jetpack through obstacles avoiding spikes which send you back a bit; dodging incoming beetle and bat swarms; etc etc. Reach for 1st place!

And then of course there probably should be a music game of some sort. Featuring ORG music and Cave Story in a crazy rave of dancing and shooting enemies. No idea. But, make it happen.

Oh... one more, how about a catch Sue and Quote with KAzuma on the dragon, while dodging falling rocks and NPCs mini-game.

EDIT: Oh oh, a Kazuma, Booster on a bike mini-game... "It won't stop....!!!"

So basically the binding of cave story.

May 8, 2019 at 5:11 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Honestly I'd prefer for it to be more akin to streets of rage, especially the second game
I'd also like some variety in the stages like battletoads did with it's racing and rope stage (despite being horrible)
But what enemies would we add to make it more like a beatemup? Critters are too small and weak to even be considered an enemy, and it'd be hard to hit them with their size, besides power critters which are bigger than quote
I also think that unless the Beat-em-up follows the original CS story, Quote and Curly shouldn't be the only playable characters.
Throw Balrog and possibly Sue in there too! Maybe Misery, she would be op
I wasn't really considering story when I thought that up. I just think it'd be a neat idea to have that sort of game within the CS universe.
Gaudis would make for some good enemies, and I totally agree with your playable character suggestions. Playing as Balrog and Misery would be badass.

May 9, 2019 at 1:37 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'd think that there should be a little more beat-em-up mechanics.

May 9, 2019 at 6:19 PM
"Huzzah!"

I already have a special move set a-la smash ultimate in mind for quote and curly:

Quote:
General: Uses the blade for his smash attacks, summons king as a final smash.
Neutral special: The Spur. Mash B to hipfire polar star shots. Press once to charge a spur laser, press again or wait for full charge to fire.
Side special: Fires the missile launcher, a quick and moderately powerful long range attack.
Recovery special: Hover upwards using the booster 0.8, allows for attacking after the boost depletes or the user presses the button again.
Down special: Deflector Bubble. Deflects projectiles using a bubble shield, does no damage.

Curly:
General: Similar attacks as Quote, but uses kickboxing smash attacks that are faster but weaker. Summons the Colons as a final smash.
Neutral special: Machine Gun Volley. Press once to charge a volley of machine gun shots, press again or wait for full charge to fire. Each volley has the same amount of shots, with charge dictating their damage output.
Side special: Nemesis. Taking damage fills the nemesis metre, and using the nemesis depletes it. The fuller the gauge, the greater the damage output. Maximum charge results in a lightning beam that penetrates up to four targets, minimum charge results in a duck attack that deals laughable damage. About 90% damage is needed for full charge.
Recovery special: Same as machine gun volley, but fired downwards. Greater charge results in greater vertical velocity, while lesser charge gives you better horizontal velocity. Maximum charge can spike opponents. Using this move leaves curly vulnerable until she lands.
Down special: Deflector Bubble. Deflects projectiles using a bubble shield, does no damage. Virtually indistinguishable from quotes deflector bubble.

May 9, 2019 at 11:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Cave Story in a bullet hell format, a la Touhou would probably work pretty well, i think. really, it would just be an asset swap like that upcoming Necrodancer X Zelda game coming out. Touhou with Cave Story aesthetics.

hell, even a combo of bullet hell and and roguelike, in the style of Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne would be pretty cool imo. i'd push back against Binding Of Isaac, since the character in BOI moves MUCH slower, and BOI relies on upgrades rather than skill than like Gungeon or NT, despite BOI being more bullet hell than most of NT.

but really. the game we all really need is Cave Story Puyo Puyo. beat-em-up? nah. roguelike? psh! bullet hell? nope. we just need Quote to play Puyo Puyo against Ballos for the fate of the world.

May 9, 2019 at 11:39 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'd like more of a bullethell Metroid.

May 10, 2019 at 5:14 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Cave Story in a bullet hell format, a la Touhou would probably work pretty well, i think. really, it would just be an asset swap like that upcoming Necrodancer X Zelda game coming out. Touhou with Cave Story aesthetics.

hell, even a combo of bullet hell and and roguelike, in the style of Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne would be pretty cool imo. i'd push back against Binding Of Isaac, since the character in BOI moves MUCH slower, and BOI relies on upgrades rather than skill than like Gungeon or NT, despite BOI being more bullet hell than most of NT.

but really. the game we all really need is Cave Story Puyo Puyo. beat-em-up? nah. roguelike? psh! bullet hell? nope. we just need Quote to play Puyo Puyo against Ballos for the fate of the world.
I literally suggested that earlier in the thread
Imagine the bullet patterns a character like misery could make
She already looks a bit like a TH character anyway.
Also, Puyo puyo Cave Story? Crystal Crisis says hi.

May 29, 2019 at 2:34 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Crystal Crisis says hi.
HOW DID I MISS THE RELEASE OF SUPER SMASH PUZZLE FIGHTER 2 TURBO NICALIS EDITION?!

(Yep, that's one way to reintroduce myself.)