If you put 3 existing things from mods into vanilla cave story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:45 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I guess it makes sense if your standards are higher if you are exposed to amazing pixel art all the time but it still feels a bit weird to me.
There's an issue with Cave Story and the modding community where the standards for pixel art are much lower, this is an issue with quite a few communities.

I myself learned from the toxicly high levels of quality that are required to even pass as decent in the Terraria community, and so I brought that kind of stuff over here and introduced Blink to it, showing him the kind of stuff that exists outside of the bubble of cvae story.

Also back on topic all 3 things should be removing hell b2 and wiping it from existance dear god why did pixel think it's a good idea.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:53 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Tread carefully, old man, because you tread on my dreams.
You're just under 8 months younger than I am, and I'm barely into my adult life, how am I an "old man".

Just because I told you how I felt about CS's art, and what to change about it, doesn't mean you have to take nonsensical jabs at me.
At least if you'd confront my arguments with some counter logic, I'd have a bit more respect for your opinion, but whatever dude.
At least I am "In my mind and of my body", instead of the "Local Sewer System.

I definitely don't have issues with your opinions cause that's always a bad thing but it's more about how you say the game's looks are bad because really good pixel art exists. I guess it makes sense if your standards are higher if you are exposed to amazing pixel art all the time but it still feels a bit weird to me.

That's kinda how exposure works for most anything as far as I've seen. The more you get exposed to something, the more impressive something has to be to be seen as good.
Take critics of any art form. Music critics don't rate a lot of popular stuff highly because they've seen that shit before and they've seen it done better. People who consume a lot of Anime/TV/Film obviously are more well versed than others and have a larger pool of information to look back on to say "yes I think X is good/bad because it has/doesn't have Y" If your standards don't raise as you consume more and more of anything then, you're either not paying attention to what you're consuming, or don't care to critically judge what you're consuming. In this case I am critically judging the art, and have paid enough attention to the medium to hold what I'd at least like to attempt considering a well though out opinion.

You can call critics un-fun sure, and even form reasonable arguments as to why. However, I'd be hard pressed to say, at least with the backlog of ones that I've bothered to follow for the last few years, that there's a 100% rate that they disagree with popular opinions at one point or another. People who consume more of something tend to have different ideas about thing than people who have relatively little exposure.

I myself learned from the toxicly high levels of quality that are required to even pass as decent in the Terraria community, and so I brought that kind of stuff over here and introduced Blink to it, showing him the kind of stuff that exists outside of the bubble of cvae story.

I think there is definitively some bar raising that could be seen around the CS modding community, Yes, SMW hacks kick our ass, as wells as Sonic 1 hacks, but it's whatever, I'm honestly more interested in being gracious and helping people learn at their own pace instead of slamming them for trying and only seeing the fittest survive. We only get so many people to come through, every year, maybe a dozen at most and hardly any of then stick around for more than a year anyway. A few integrate into the community and really feel "at home" but it's maybe 5% of all members that release one demo that actually get to that point. Shooing people away for not being good enough is a nice way to be elitist as fuck and choke the entire community, while also looking bad in-front of every other game hacking/modding community out there.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:04 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@graphics
Hm. When I first heard of Cave Story back in 2005(?), I ignored it at first because the graphics looked really basic. So I can understand where BLink is coming from. But, I think calling it mediocre compared to other, "better" art, like say... Hollow Knight, could be flawed. Like comparing Picasso to Da Vinci paintings. Or org music to an orchestrated piece of music. I personally would probably put Cave Story (the original release) in a more narrow art category as a preference. Like Wonder Boy the Dragon's Trap. (See video below.)
p368659-0-cavestoryritmix1.png

^I don't see a lot of issues with Cave Story's art. It's a simpler art style and can be appreciated in different ways. Though grabbing the uninitiated's attention from AAA pretty titles... yeah. Luckily it has history to it, and remakes.

If I were to guess though, maybe what you would like to see is something like what Dragon's Trap received?
^Honestly, I'd love that too... But, I guess it's a slippery slope. Cave Story+'s 2x art was generally liked, while Cave Story 3d seems to have a bit of a shaky reputation, despite doing some things beautiful, but different. And maybe not quite stylized enough to pop against something like Dragon's Trap art? Well it also could be skewed between a fan's view versus a mainstream view. (I just wish there was a PC version of 3D with higher res assets.)
3dmimiga.jpg
3dplant.jpg

3dsand.jpg
3dsandz.jpg

vs the actual 3ds res...
p368659-5-sandcave620x.jpg

p368659-6-well620x.jpg
As for Cave Story's art. I prefer it over the original Dragon's Trap. Now I think Pixel could have attempted a more detailed style:
p368659-7-e2522e29160ea7a335e6f64bf706a88bcavestorygameinfo.jpg

But, then again, it was a freeware release made by one person.
@topic
And returning to the topic, yeah graphics enhancements do seem like a no-brainer if there was yet another official release of Cave Story.
I started the topic, but I still haven't really decided on the things I'd bring over from existing mods. Though, shotgun was definitely one thing I thought of too!
And extended levels in Dubby's Cave Story Redesign. (In particular, Curly's abode with the sand falls was especially nice looking...)
I'll make a formal post about my choices later!

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:01 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This conversation is so dumb that I'm just going to close it

There are plenty of games even now that still use a Cave Story-ish minimalistic style, saying it would look different now is ridiculous. Kero Blaster was even more minimalist and there haven't been any real "advancements" in pixel art quality since it peaked in the 90's. This is starting to push well into cognitive dissonance territory and that better not start seriously infesting the mods section.

Status
Not open for further replies.