If Cave Story had a thousand spinoff games...

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:58 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Today I was wondering what would have happened to Cave Story had it been created around the time when big franchise games made their first appearances, "Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc..." and something came to me. If Cave Story had become a big franchise game at that time like those ones did, what kind of series of crazy sequels and spin-offs would we have seen of it. Mario has Dr. Mario, Super Mario RPG, Mario Cart, etc... Zelda has A link to the Past, Link's Crossbow Training, etc... Kirby has Kirby 64, Epic Yarn etc... So what would have become of Cave Story. Today I ask you to think about it and write it down. Write down a spin-off game that would have been made, and what game it is a pardoy of, "Dr. Date is a parody of Dr. Mario for instance". Use this guide.

Title:
Spin-off of:
Description:
What's different:
What's the same:
Images of what it would look like (optional):

Mind you these spin-offs don't need to be bad or jokes.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cave Story probably wouldn't have been able to come out in the NES era simply due to the fact that the NES wouldn't have been able to handle it. It's questionable as to whether or not the SNES would have been able to either, but it's more likely.

Cave Story Reach: Cave Story was made into 3 FPS games, and this one comes after as Nicalis tries to cash in on Cave Story once more.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:56 AM
I don't anymore.
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Cave Story probably wouldn't have been able to come out in the NES era simply due to the fact that the NES wouldn't have been able to handle it. It's questionable as to whether or not the SNES would have been able to either, but it's more likely.

Cave Story Reach: Cave Story was made into 3 FPS games, and this one comes after as Nicalis tries to cash in on Cave Story once more.

Well it probably wouldn't be the exact same game. Older tech means the game would have lower quality graphics or a slower frame rate or something along those lines. It's really just hypothetical. I already have an idea, but I'll let a few others go first.

CS Reach will inspire the HD remake of Cave Story: Combat Evolved I suppose.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:27 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Cart Story/Mimiga Racing/Hell If I know. Along the same lines of Chocobo Racing, Mario Kart, Kirby Airride, etc. Hey, lots of series get their own spin-off racing game, what if Cave Story was no exception? This one would have a more lighthearted, cartoony feeling I think, like the aforementioned examples.

The different tracks would be themed after the various levels in Cave Story (duh). Naturally, they'd each have a variety of monsters and environmental hazards to kill/avoid; the Plantation would have a lot of presses and bats, Grasstown would be littered with critters, Hell would have a bunch of deathspikes and unprotected ledges (basically Rainbow Road's evil cousin), Mimiga Village would be the 'easy' safe course with minimal hazards and simple track design, and so forth.

The character you choose determines your riding specs (acceleration, top speed, turning, etc.) and from there you select two weapons before the race begins. You can swap between your chosen weapons at any time during the race, but you're stuck with those two for that series of matches. They can be leveled up accordingly by killing enemies on the track for power bits. There would also need to be a cooldown time on the weapons to keep people from spamming the crap out of each other with attacks.

...*Imagines Prof. Booster racing on a low-riding hoverbike against Kazuma on a sky dragon*

Edit: ...this almost actually sounds kinda fun, now that I think of it.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Title: Cave Story 64
Spin-off of: Super Mario 64
Description: Cave Story ported to the N64, remade in 3D.
What's different: A lot
What's the same: A lot

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM
I don't anymore.
Screw it I'm doing it now.

Title: Paper Story
Spin-off of: Paper Mario
Description: The evil Tin Man, "makes evil robots" and his army of robots are out to collect the seven XP fragments which will give him unbelieveable power, Quote, Curly and Balrog must set out to collect them first and save the day. Quote's special ability is long range attacks, Curly's is speed I suppose, and Balrogs is short flight! Together they will stop the Tin Man and his powerful yet humourously idiotic lacky's!
What's different: Combat system allows for two people at once, but you decide who's upfront and who's in back.
What's the same: The damn puzzles.
Images of what it would look like (optional):
paper-quote.png

I didn't spend too long on this picture. There's no scarf. :debug:
Oh well., it's Paper Quote. I don't think anyone's made that fan art yet.