Ibenholt Project- Hewwo Looking for Creative Minds!

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:02 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hello everyone! It has been a hot minute since I've been on the forums. Last summer I started writing a narrative and got about three chapters in when student teaching came up and consumed all of my time. Fast forward to the end of the semester, I'm now simply working during day as I work on grad school searching. Anyways, as I am long winded, I had a couple friends ask me why I hadn't considered turning what I had written and expand the story into a game of some sort.

I started reflecting on how games like Cave Story, Undertale, OneShot and other indie rpgs have effected me and I came to this conclusion. All had been created by people who had the brilliance to connect the game to their players' hearts whether that be through story, art/art style, and music. This of course is all made possible by programmers, and gameplay designers. Ultimately these games were made possible through tenacity, determination, teamwork and passion of team members.

I want to be part of something memorable and impactful. I want to be part of a team that cares about each other and works together to not only solve issues but also learn new things in the process. The process to developing a game is long I'm sure, but this is something that has been a dream of mine since 2014-2015. Coming to cavestory.org originally I wanted to play Cave Story and enjoy what the modding community had to offer. I saw that passion and creativity that I mention above which is why I'm posting here.

Long story short, the difference from 2015 and 2021 is absolutely insane- and I feel I've grown enough to decide to take on this task.

I was wondering if anyone else is too?

As of right now, we are in our initial stages of the project and are still assembling a team. Currently we have 13 team members, but of those 13 team members only 2 of us are musicians and 2 two of us are artists. A lot of us, are college students.

When I think of what I remember from a game my thoughts go first to the characters/their appearance, and the music of a game. We need team members for every team as I believe the more minds we put together the grander this project will be. We are not specifically looking only for people with experience, but for passionate and dedicated team members who are willing to learn. Having experience on a team would be extremely valuable but we also want to give people the chance to learn. I'll be honest I know very little about game development. I've taken time to create dialogue pathways and ideas for puzzles as I've been adapting my previously written chapters into the game.

For those of you curious about what the story is I'm going to link my chapters I posted on Wattpad here: https://www.wattpad.com/925481751-ibenholt-chapter-one

Probably should explain my username since it is the same name as the city in my story. Aeternum is latin for "forever". A long time ago a group of my friends and I decided to build a giant city in the middle of an ocean on a Tekkit server way back when. A surprising amount of people actually joined the community and built in the literal middle of the ocean. We had named that city Aeternum and I positively associated the word with my friends. It has been a long time since I've used Aeternum as a username and I normally go by Newbie3. That is a nickname given to me. During the worldbuilding process I asked friends for ideas for the name of the city, gave them the city's history, and a couple of them asked me, "Why not Aeternum? It means forever". And so I've gone with it. I found it to be appropriate considering the purpose of the city and what it stands for.

The Ibenholt Project is important to me and all the members of our team. We are looking for further support through more team members, and need to add creative minds especially to our Visuals and Music teams.

If you have any advice please drop it below in the thread. If you are interested either fill out the form I'm going to link below or DM on Discord. My Discord is Newbie3 #1066.

Here is the google form for interest: https://forms.gle/DCbZa2sm5GM5escr9

Our team is not making the game in order to make money. But rather to create something we are proud of. We aren't at the point to decide where we are going release the game or even what the price of the game could be. We want to use the game for good, and a considerable number of team members- including myself- want to pair up with a charity of some sort (first things that come to my mind are ExtraLife or Bungie's iPads for Kids programs. There are so many options to consider though) and use the platform (which we have to create first) to raise money and do some good.

All in all, the purpose of the project is more than simply the game we are creating. It's not only about learning new skills, but hopefully making friends along the way.

Thank you all in advance for reading through what I've written. I appreciate your time and I hope to hear from some of you!

As always,

Be good, do good, be excellent,

Newbie3
aeternum12@gmail.com
Discord: Newbie3 #1066

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 11:23 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh hey, I remember you. Nice to see you still kicking. I'm not interested in getting involved at this time, but I like your initiative and passion. I have higher hopes for your success this time around, as it seems your process for initiating a project and having a clear vision has been refined a bit since 5 years ago.

By the way, the link in your post to Ibenholt Chapter 1 doesn't seem to work. The link in the Google form works, but not the one in your post here.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:41 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Thank you! Time certainly helps. Lemme check that link and see why its acting up. Chances are I messed up copying the link.

Yea so I was a dingus and didn't put the link in both boxes when putting the link in....

Anyways! Thank you for letting me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 7, 2021 at 4:46 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Oh wow that's one a blast from the past.
Cool to see things are still going well, and the ambition and drive is looking mighty great.

I've been delving in gamedev stuff myself very recently but I unfortunately don't think I can handle much in a team of ~15 of higher partially because I've been doing things at my own pace.
Hope things will end up going smoothly though.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hi Mint!

That is certainly understandable! We aren't looking for a massive team and hopefully we can find just a couple more team members and call the team good! If pace is something that worries you or keeps you from being interested in the project I can assure you we are not in a rush. The philosophy behind the project is creating smaller goals that lead up to a long-term goals. Everyone has environments that work best for them and this is most certainly understandable and valid.

I have high hopes for your endeavors!

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:28 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Yeah the best is indeed when everyone is comfortable and able to work without stress (or at least without too much).

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hey, wow, it's been a while. Just read the first chapter of the story you posted and it seems promising. I'm not sure that I can contribute a lot to this, but I might fill out the form anyway. Glad to hear that you've been doing alright!

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Awesome thank you! I appreciate you taking a look!