I just created a non-crappy game!

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
It's a simple game based on Breakout. Every time the paddle hits the ball, it gets a little faster. Try to survive as long as you can.

PS. If you remember the whole JPEG Story mess, I used no JPEGs.

Download link:
0.1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/wob3nfi9r50egn2/The%20Tale%20of%20a%20Rubber%20Ball.exe

0.2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujsyvh4n301ofne/The%20Tale%20of%20a%20Rubber%20Ball%20V%200.2.exe
In version 0.2, I fixed two problems: the color scheme now is bearable and at the start the ball always bounces down instead of randomness.

0.3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv76jt4w04dtx8l/The%20Tale%20of%20a%20Rubber%20Ball%20V%200.3.exe
In 0.3, I added a bounce sound. It is from ORGMaker.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
This might just be me, but I think you should have made the game different colors. Not the title and game over screen, but I feel like the black and blue aren't aesthetically pleasing, and not very easy to see either.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Not bad for a Breakout clone. It would be nice if the colors in the game would be inverted (blue ball and paddle in a black background) though. It kinda looks like an iPod commercial with the black shapes in the blue background.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This game is definitely functional. That is really the most I can say, there's really not much to say about it. I didn't encounter any real issues, besides that sometimes the ball starts in the middle of the screen moving to the side really slowly and then to the other which causes me to just stare at Pomfy and Mochi's avatars in this thread because that is just fun to watch. But yeah, I agree on the colors but other than that this game is pretty much what it aims to be. If it's based on breakout though, shouldn't you have to break stuff?

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM
"..."
Thatnamelessguy said:
This game is definitely functional. That is really the most I can say, there's really not much to say about it. I didn't encounter any real issues, besides that sometimes the ball starts in the middle of the screen moving to the side really slowly and then to the other which causes me to just stare at Pomfy and Mochi's avatars in this thread because that is just fun to watch. But yeah, I agree on the colors but other than that this game is pretty much what it aims to be. If it's based on breakout though, shouldn't you have to break stuff?

It isn't a pixel by pixel clone. It just uses the same layout and similar physics. The object is not to break out of a place but to survive as long as you can.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions people!
Here's the new color scheme. Looks a lot better in my opinion. I used a similar color scale to the actual Breakout game. Any other suggestions?newcolorscheme.PNG

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'm impressed you got most of the physics down from the original, and the game does strangely give me memories of when I would play this on my dad's blackberry, back when they were still relevant.
There were times when the ball would bounce in a completely illogical way, but it's not like that did't happen in Breakout too, so that's a given with a game with this much simplicity.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM
"..."
It also has a cave story Easter egg. If you play the game five time over (without exiting out from the game) something strange happens when you play!
If you'll notice, I took your suggestions in the new version. The link is at the first post