I have a theory that connects Cave Story, Ikachan, 1001 Spikes, and Tempura of the Dead

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm not sure if this should go in Indie Games or Theories, but I'm putting this here.

This theory connects all four games, as well as creating a time line between them and an approximate relation as far as the year, to the real world.

Now this all starts with Cave Story. The other games start coming in at the Waterways with Ikachan. After defeating Ironhead, He decides to move his colony of fish and sea urchins to another area, for risk of more attackers, and creates the pearl system, in which anyone who has no pearl can be attacked by his followers. Little did he know that earthquakes would be happening. The first happened approximately when the Red Ogre was defeated in CS, the second when the Muscle Doctor was defeated, and the third when the Undead Core was defeated, causing blocks to fall from the Sanctuary and the Balcony in CS. After beating Ikachan, they blast off into the sky, and well the rest is history for them.

1001 spikes, or at least Curly Brace's story, is the next game, Starting at the end of the Plantation. Curly is separated from Quote, as her first cutscene suggests, (in an ironic way calling him "her talkative companion" as Quote, as far as we can tell, doesn't speak much) because Quote went to go fight the doctor. She starts looking for him, as she wants to help, but she gets swept down into the water pipes at the bottom of the plantation. She "washed up" in Ukampa, which, I would actually place on the Floating Island. You see, 1001 spikes refers to Ukampa as being in South America, but at the end of Ikachan, we see that their Earth is much differently shaped, as far as the continents, and in a world where talking rabid rabbits invaded the earth 10 years ago, and zombies are beginning to exist (we'll come back to that), and magic, and robots, and talking fish, and plenty of other creatures exist, a floating island would not seem out of place, and a floating island above a country would still be considered a part of that country, so there's that. Anywho, along the way, Curly meets Conseil, the merchant in 1001 Spikes. She buys the red hat item, (that is sold out in-game) because it reminds her of Quote (because Conseil says "A chatty blond bought this."). At the end of Ukampa, Lies the Golden Temple, in which you defeat Poku-Mum, this happens at the same time Quote defeats the Undead Core, and their combined strength, when both are defeated simultaneously, causes blocks to fall and earthquakes both. At the end of the Golden Temple, is the level "The Way Out" in which you have to exit the temple, which sounds easy, but everything is falling behind and in front of you, because of the Undead Core and Poku-Mum. After clearing that level, you are presented with a second cutscene, in which Curly ends up in the Blood Stained Sanctuary, which is supported by Butes, as well as "As she passes through the door, a black wind blows through Curly's body...".

Next comes Tempura of the Dead, another game by Samu Wosada, the creator of 1001 spikes. This game does not actually come during Cave Story, but 14 or more years later. Assuming that each character's journey in 1001 spikes happens at the time they are unlocked, and that the blocks falling after Poku-Mum, are a result of just him and is not happening anywhere else, in each character's journey, President Thompson's and Sugimoto's journeys' happen sometime before Curly's, yet not years behind, as everything looks exactly the same. President Thompson's first cutscene actually says that he is not yet president and he is coming to the temple to prove he is worthy. His end cutscene basically says that he is ready. Sugimoto's first cutscene shows that he is starting to learn English, as he says "Herro," instead of "Hello," yet in ToD, as we'll shorten it, he has much better English, further supporting this. Now to become President, you have to be born in the U.S., Be 35 or more of age, and have been living in the U.S. continuously for 14 or more years, which means from the time that Thompson left Ukampa, he had to at least wait 14 years to run for President, which means that the first three games mentioned happen at least 14 years prior to ToD. In ToD, you can switch between two playable characters, Pres. Thompson, and Sugimoto, to save the U.S. from the Zombie Apocalypse, (told you we'd get back to that). I have not actually played that, as I don't own an X-Box 360, and there are no full playthroughs on YouTube, so I don't have any more information on the ending of that, so sorry 'bout that. I do however know that the first boss battle of ToD is in Alabama, my home state, but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Anywho, that's the end of the theory, story wise, but there's still the relation to real life. Now, if you've seen Pres. Thompson, it's obvious that he's based on Pres. Obama, and the fact that ToD was released and set in 2010, means that President Thompson was two years into his term, and that CS, Ikachan, and 1001 spikes take place around 1996. That means that the Robot-Mimiga war took place around 1986, and that the Jenka and Ballos story took place around 986.

But hey, that's just a theory, a Game Theory.

(Credit to the slogan at the end belongs to Game Theory and Matthew Patrick, one of my favorite YouTube channels, not me. I hope I'm not infringing on any copyright stuff, so I'll say this. None of the games, characters, worlds, quotes, or slogans, belong to me, so yeah.)

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I don't think that Curly's story in 1001 spikes is all that cannon, considering that she winds up in the plantation after being washed away, and while all extra rezolution versions of Cave Story are licenced by pixel, Studio Pixel had nothing to do with either 1001 Spikes or Tempura of The Dead beyond allowing Curly to be in 1001 spikes.

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Goerge Bobicles said:
I don't think that Curly's story in 1001 spikes is all that cannon, considering that she winds up in the plantation after being washed away, and while all extra rezolution versions of Cave Story are licenced by pixel, Studio Pixel had nothing to do with either 1001 Spikes or Tempura of The Dead beyond allowing Curly to be in 1001 spikes.
I see where you're coming from, but again this is just a theory, but it would be awesome if it was cannon. That said, I know that it's too complicated to be cannon, but hey, anything's possible.

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
...wow.
Although,I have a idea that expands upon the Ikachan part:
Ironhead and co were in the Waterway to escape from the earthquake made by defeating the Core.
And as for the core,it's the "mother pearl". Earthquake happened,"mother pearl" disappeared(teleported by Misery),everyone panics and leaves,they meet Quote,create the pearl system for fear of more like it,they go wherever,Ikachan happens,all earthquakes directly seen in Ikachan caused by future major boss battles,they say "screw this" after the Undead Core+Poku-Mum mess and leave in a spaceship.
Where'd they get the spaceship?
The mimigas in the Plantation decorated the rocket after it came back down(which explains the style),
the Doctor saw it,didn't like it,threw it wherever Ironhead and co were.
As long as that happened before the Muscle Doctor,the Ikachan timeline matches.

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Pegagamer said:
I know that it's too complicated to be cannon, but hey, anything's possible.
complications have nothing to do with something being canon. the part of the theory where you connected Ikachan with cave story is decent and makes sense.
Pegagamer said:
anything's possible.
I wouldn't bet on it...

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
This is an amazing theory.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Actually I would disagree with the Ikachan part of that theory. After beating Ironhead you are granted the Alien Medal with a picture of Ikachan on it. Regardless of how you take the word "alien", it definitely indicates that they are not native to the island. This means that the CS Ironhead fight happened "after" the events of Ikachan.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you to everyone who replied!

I always enjoy everyone's input whether good or bad, because any helps!

I had been working on this theory for a while, ever since I saw a preview video for 1001 Spikes, showing the character selection briefly. I knew I had saw Curly, and then, I started hypothesizing, and then that lead to Ikachan being included, then I found out about ToD, and then, saw the new characters video for 1001 Spikes, and then when the game released, I saw various cutscenes that just seemed to piece things together.

My original theory, before the game released, was that Curly's story in 1001 spikes happened after the good ending of Cave Story and that she fell off Balrog, or got lost after landing. After the game came out, it obliterated that, so I reworked it into this.

My reasoning for not including sections for other games that could be worked in, as there were more playable characters from other games in 1001 spikes, and that Quote appears in Bit.trip Runner 2, along with other characters from other games, is that none of those other games have 16x16 pixel blocks and characters, and others aren't even 8-bit. If you would like to hypothesize for these other characters, here are the other playable characters from other games in 1001 spikes and Bit.trip Runner 2:

1001 spikes:

Juni from "Knytt Stories"
Commander Video from "Bit.trip"
Nyx from NyxQuest: "Kindred Spirits"
El Testigo is actually Jonathan Blow the creator of "Braid" another indie game and the remixed BGM is also from Braid
Additionally, costumes for Mario (Super Mario Bros.), Simon (Castlevania), Ryu (Street Fighter), Bill (Contra), Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins), and Ryu (Ninja Gaiden) are able to be bought from Conseil in the shop.

Bit.trip Runner 2:

Josef from "Machinarium"
Spelunky Guy from "Spelunky"
Raz from "Psychonauts"
Dr. Fetus from "Super Meat Boy"
Atlas from "Portal 2"

Also, andwhyisit, thank you for that input. Maybe Ikachan does take place on the surface, or rather, under the surface, and after blasting off in the ship, they ended up landing on the Floating Island and then recolonized in the Waterways.

Again, thanks to everyone for reading and replying!

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:02 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Goerge Bobicles said:
but ikachan and the original cave story are 16 bit, not 8 bit.
Are you sure, because all the files of CS say either 8-Bit (256 Colors), or 4-Bit (16 Colors) both of which can be used in an 8-Bit game. Even if it were 16-Bit, the only two of the other games that are 16-Bit (at least in the starter pack) are Knytt Stories, and Spelunkey, and neither of those have 16x16 blocks, so I'm not going to bother making theories for those, but I may be wrong, maybe it is 16-Bit...

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:50 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
they're both 32-bit, you're all wrong
now please stop using computer architecture terminology you don't know the meaning of

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
This reminds me a lot of Crossover from Game Theory.
Anyway neat theory, while I doubt it's canonical for multiple reasons already stated, it's still fun to look at these things.

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well done! I wonder if gang garrison 2 has any place in this timeline...

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I knew that Cave Story was 16 bit just by the graphical and sound design. Now what we need to do is make Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Super Nintendo, Turbo Graphx 16, Atari ST/TT/Falcon, and Commodore Amiga ports of Cave Story. That would be pretty cool. Then we could use Cave Story as another way to for the people in the Bit Wars (Genesis VS SNES) to spark an argument over who's 16 bit console is better. And I guess it could also do the same for the ST/TT/Falcons and the Amigas, but that's not a very big argument anymore. <SARI wonder why...<END

And because Pega is new here, <SAR is a joke I made up. It is used for SARcastic comments.

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Dunc:(If your post was sarcastic,then please disregard this.Sorry in advance.)
tl;dr:Noxid is right,no point repeating what he said.

First,that post assumes that bit==pixel size.NOPE.
Second,that's referring to graphics. I hope.
Also,8-bit programs...aren't actually a thing on x86.There's 16-bit,32-bit,and 64-bit so far.They may expand it some arbitrary time in the future.
Fourth,if it was 16-bit,it wouldn't run on 64-bit windows due to the Virtual 8086 feature usage being removed.
Fifth,how in hell does Cheat Engine,a program only designed to handle native Windows 32-bit and 64-bit programs,work in Cave Story,if Cave Story isn't one of those two?
Sixth,if it's running under a native 32-bit emulator(only reasonable explanation),then how can the work done on ASM editing show a good amount of evidence it's 32-bit x86 code?
Seventh,that blog article mentions the soundtrack being in "SNES" format...wtf. SNES FORMAT? :muscledoc: Anyone who knew how to use Resource Hacker with Resource Hacker,a hex editor,Cave Story,and 60 seconds could show otherwise.(hint: .org != SNES)

Oh,and Pummelator?

Graphics and sound by no means mean any bit width.
Bit width depends on the computer architecture of the game, which in this case is something like "x86",which means it's 32-bit,as x86 is a 32-bit architecture.

Sorry for sounding nasty,but Dunc apparently didn't look at the insanity of the logic. And that's very,very,very irritating.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:04 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
gamemanj said:
First,that post assumes that bit==pixel size.NOPE.
Second,that's referring to graphics. I hope.
Also,8-bit programs...aren't actually a thing on x86.There's 16-bit,32-bit,and 64-bit so far.They may expand it some arbitrary time in the future.
Fourth,if it was 16-bit,it wouldn't run on 64-bit windows due to the Virtual 8086 feature usage being removed.
Fifth,how in hell does Cheat Engine,a program only designed to handle native Windows 32-bit and 64-bit programs,work in Cave Story,if Cave Story isn't one of those two?
Sixth,if it's running under a native 32-bit emulator(only reasonable explanation),then how can the work done on ASM editing show a good amount of evidence it's 32-bit x86 code?
Seventh,that blog article mentions the soundtrack being in "SNES" format...wtf. SNES FORMAT? :muscledoc: Anyone who knew how to use Resource Hacker with Resource Hacker,a hex editor,Cave Story,and 60 seconds could show otherwise.(hint: .org != SNES)

Oh,and Pummelator?
Graphics and sound by no means mean any bit width.
Bit width depends on the computer architecture of the game, which in this case is something like "x86",which means it's 32-bit,as x86 is a 32-bit architecture.

Sorry for sounding nasty,but Dunc apparently didn't look at the insanity of the logic. And that's very,very,very irritating.
But dude, the 3Ds could be 128-bit, or 234-bit, or hell even 468-bit. I mean it's not like you can have better graphics without having hella bits, right?

I imagine that blast processing is also widely implemented on most devices these days, to handle the graphical intensity of all the new bits.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
gamemanj said:
It was sarcastic, same for GIR's post.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Mein Gott, that's brilliant! :D I did have a feeling that those games are all connected somehow, but I never got ToD cause I don't own an Xbox 360 or One. I wanna play it so badly! :p