I completed SG with 3 Life... No kidding!

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:48 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Wow, I tried this so many times, but I've finally completed Sacred Grounds with only 3 life! Though it's not a minimal items run, and I was using 'myself' instead of Quote, at least it's some type of accomplishment... I make plenty of mistakes along the way, too, but that's to be expected... I'm only human, right?

Part 1 Part 2
I'm actually surprised to find CamStudio's working fine for me again! I thought it'd mess me up when I tried this, but I guess not this time.
Because I took over 10 minutes (Cutscenes included), I had to split it up into 2 parts using Windows Movie Maker. Oh well, no harm done, I suppose...

No weapon damage values were edited, so this is lagitimate. Honest!

If there's already a thread for anything like this, I'll take it there instead.

I've still got a long way to go before I'll ever be as awesome as Chaddykins with his entire 3 HP minimal run on video, but my purpose for doing this was not about competition. It's merely simply proving that I was able to finally succeed in such an effort.

And last, but definitely not least, I'd like to credit Roonil Wazlib for the "Blade Barrier" tip, which saved my butt more than once as shown in the videos.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:05 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Bad Beholder said:
Wow, I tried this so many times, but I've finally completed Sacred Grounds with only 3 life! Though it's not a minimal items run, and I was using 'myself' instead of Quote, at least it's some type of accomplishment... I make plenty of mistakes along the way, too, but that's to be expected... I'm only human, right?

i dont wanna sound petty or anything but ive done it, not minimal.
just 3hp and weapon.

^^'

i just havnt recorded it because i've only done it once and i was too annoyed at the game to try it again ^^"

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:12 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Nice run! 3 hp run is pretty painful lol
It was a long video, but it was fun to see the extra dialogue your character had ~
I've never tried the 3 hp run :p

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:32 AM
xristosx said:
i dont wanna sound petty or anything but ive done it, not minimal.
just 3hp and weapon.

^^'

i just havnt recorded it because i've only done it once and i was too annoyed at the game to try it again ^^"
That's understandable, especially because of those falling blocks in B2 and all those Butes around Ballos' 4th form. Those are what usually get me a lot.

Every now and again, one of the Green Devils around Ballos' 2nd form swoops down lower than it does normally and kills me. They're really a pain in hasty 3 Life runs.
X-Calibar said:
Nice run! 3 hp run is pretty painful lol
It was a long video, but it was fun to see the extra dialogue your character had ~
I've never tried the 3 hp run :p
I appreciate it. All of the included dialogue is on my mod, The Big Switcharoo, along with plenty more, in case you're interested.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:10 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I'll check it out~ I've read good things ;)
Although I have like 50 things still on my list to do... but I'll get there!

EDIT: oh and do you use a keyboard or a controller? I should probably make a poll lol I always wanted to cave story with a controller...

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:19 AM
The keyboard. I don't have a decent computer controller at the time, though I'd like to play CS with one.

(Darn, the D-pad's central Axis is unstable again! So much for these cheap, generic controllers...)

You probably thought I was firing with a turbo button at times, I imagine?

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:32 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Grats dood! I think you killed damn near everything in Sacred Grounds =o

I was surprised you didn't you use the spur more heh.

Mar 18, 2008 at 7:57 AM
I appreciate it.

Watching through the video a few more times, I noticed i missed-

9 flying Butes (One in B2, the rest just spawning before Heavy Press)
1 Bute Archer
1 Press
2 Deleets
And Countless Green Devils

But other than those, yes, I left a path of destruction in my wake going through here.

As for the little usage of the Spur, I suppose I'm more accustomed to using the blade when running a 3 Life playthrough, but I do use the Spur more often in speedrun attempts. Of course, ever since my record in my sig, I haven't been able to get a faster time than that... I've been trying, though.

Plus, my Monster X Tram Ride video solely used the Spur, since I didn't bother puting in any other weapons at that time.

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:06 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
My internet is currently shite so I can't watch the fuxorin video.

But the achievement deservescredit coz I can't get past B2 and I'm not gonna attempt to for quite some time.

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:28 AM
Roonil Wazlib said:
My internet is currently shite so I can't watch the fuxorin video.
It saddens me to hear that. At least you don't have to keep reloading the video everytime you visit the page (My browser's been acting funny recently... I can't keep YouTube videos "stashed" for quick playback anymore.)
Roonil Wazlib said:
But the achievement deservescredit coz I can't get past B2 and I'm not gonna attempt to for quite some time.
I appreciate the comment. I hope your Internet troubles get fixed soon.

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:20 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
lol i forgot to say congratulations. the way i posted that made me sound like a arsehole earlier ;)

Mar 18, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nice little tram ride ;)

I somehow think it'd be more effective if you set solid platforms under the wheels of monster X for the boss fight. It kinda ruins the illusion, having the core and corelettes moving behind the wheels, yet in front of the rest of MX.

Also, this would enable the 'chain explosions' to hit you P:

(Or, an alternitive would be to move all of monster X down about 8 pixels on the tileset, and do the same for the rails it's moving along. Then you could set a line of invisable no-monster blocks above the rails for the chain explosion starters to land on.)

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:19 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Bad Beholder said:
It saddens me to hear that. At least you don't have to keep reloading the video everytime you visit the page (My browser's been acting funny recently... I can't keep YouTube videos "stashed" for quick playback anymore.)

I appreciate the comment. I hope your Internet troubles get fixed soon.
I face the same prob too -_-''

And thanks for the luck ^_^

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:16 AM
ZTaimat said:
Nice little tram ride ;)

I somehow think it'd be more effective if you set solid platforms under the wheels of monster X for the boss fight. It kinda ruins the illusion, having the core and corelettes moving behind the wheels, yet in front of the rest of MX.

Also, this would enable the 'chain explosions' to hit you P:
I appreciate the compliment.

As for the hiding cores, I know it looks wrong, (Especially because the treads are 24 pixels tall instead of the standard 16 for tiles, even though that wasn't what you were talking about) but I'm not certain if there's a "background" solid tile that the player can stand on in the tileset editor anywhere. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a forum search and see if there is one.

ZTaimat said:
(Or, an alternitive would be to move all of monster X down about 8 pixels on the tileset, and do the same for the rails it's moving along. Then you could set a line of invisable no-monster blocks above the rails for the chain explosion starters to land on.)
So in this example, you're saying it takes place on top of Monster X instead of simply on it, am I right? I might give it a shot if the other solution doesn't currently exist. Nice suggestions, by the way.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:13 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Bad Beholder said:
the treads are 24 pixels tall instead of the standard 16 for tiles, even though that wasn't what you were talking about

That's what I meant by 'down 8 pixels' in the tileset; the treads could be completly solid.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:50 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I don't mean to brag, but... I can beat Balrog (1) with just 12 HP, really! Sorry, I didn't record it, so I doubt you folks believe me, but I really can! :D

Hehe, seriously though, nice job, I haven't even got there yet. :p

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:16 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Absolute Zer0 said:
I don't mean to brag, but... I can beat Balrog (1) with just 12 HP, really! Sorry, I didn't record it, so I doubt you folks believe me, but I really can! :D

Hehe, seriously though, nice job, I haven't even got there yet. :p

oh yeah well..i can beat him with 0 hp.... YOU HAVE DIED
WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY AGAIN yes/no

dammit 0 hp isnt a good idea

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:17 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Absolute Zer0 said:
How about -1 HP?

quote gets super strength and and punch people with 100dmg each hit