i cant beat ballos fast

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:07 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
i gave myself infinite booster infinite missiles invincibility and set all ammo to level 3 and every time i get 2 minutes 40 seconds i dont know how people got 2 minutes and 2 seconds without cheating

have you ever tried it its like imposssiibblleeeeee

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I have no idea how to even do <4 minute runs but I do know for Ballos is that you want to keep him under fire as much as possible, as hard as possible. (without getting defeated of course)
Also a popular thing to do at the last phase is to stand at his eye, and mash fire with super missiles.

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:31 PM
I have no idea how to even do <4 minute runs but I do know for Ballos is that you want to keep him under fire as much as possible, as hard as possible. (without getting defeated of course)
Also a popular thing to do at the last phase is to stand at his eye, and mash fire with super missiles.
i've gotten 3:59 once recently that was pretty good for me but theres no way i can get under 3 minutes

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I haven't even gotten to Ballos yet but i've seen all of the boss battles and he looks the hardest besides like the doctor and that X thing.
I've as far as the doctor fight.

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:41 PM
I haven't even gotten to Ballos yet but i've seen all of the boss battles and he looks the hardest besides like the doctor and that X thing.
I've as far as the doctor fight.

is this your first time playing cave story
ballos is also hard because theres things BEFORE IT

doctor isn't that hard but it's pretty tough

THE CORE IS SUPER HARD and yes monster x is also pretty rough and tough

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:47 PM
YoshiPilot Online
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I have no idea how to even do <4 minute runs.
As someone who has gotten <3 minutes, I can say the best strat is to try to get though everything fast, use damage to bypass some spikes, and beat ballos fast. I haven't recorded getting <3 min yet, but here's a video of a <4 min run I did.

Dec 9, 2017 at 5:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
is this your first time playing cave story
ballos is also hard because theres things BEFORE IT

doctor isn't that hard but it's pretty tough

THE CORE IS SUPER HARD and yes monster x is also pretty rough and tough
I've played it many many times but ive never beat the full game.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:07 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Really the trick is to boost like crazy, and use whatever strategy you can use to take out the deletes as far ahead of time as you can. There are various different ways to abuse game mechanics so that you'll be able to make a delete start counting down before you're normally supposed to be able to reach it. And with Ballos, it's kind of tricky, but it really helps if you can make it so that Ballos' last form doesn't even make it a full rotation around the room by unleashing your missiles really rapidly such that you'll get all those eyes to close early on (which is something that I myself have never successfully done). There are plenty of videos showing people doing things like this.

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:37 PM
YoshiPilot Online
it really helps if you can make it so that Ballos' last form doesn't even make it a full rotation around the room by unleashing your missiles really rapidly such that you'll get all those eyes to close early on (which is something that I myself have never successfully done). There are plenty of videos showing people doing things like this.
Keep in mind- it requires 12 missles+1 MAX spur shot (or 14 missles if you're bad at switching weapons) to get ballos's last form beaten.

Dec 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Getting sub 3 is really hard to do in 50FPS for sure as the timing is so tight but alas it's still possible.

optimal setup is snake, nemesis and super missile launcher, as well as a life pot.

The core thing to do is in B1, use your super missile launcher to level up at all the exp tanks.
In B2 there's not much to say except to pray to RNGesus and hope you only burn 5 or 10 health and lose 2 or 3 seconds to the shenanigans.
B3 you can get pretty consistent at though Movement and abusing the snake to hit delets through walls is very important, like right here

p361504-0-uj1b40v.png

at both spots 1 and 2 you can fire a lvl 1 snake through the floor to set off the delets

everybody knows you can eat 10 damage and slip through here:

p361504-1-y3hdpdw.png

A really cool trick is actually the last 2 delets before heavy press

If you go right up to the delet and turn your back to it curly on your back will actually shoot through it and hit the second delet so you can set off both of them simultaneously saving 5 seconds of time! also yeah if you get damaged before heavy press smashes the floor you can enter sooner because you don't have to wait for him to go by because of your iframes.

As for the bosses, get good at mashing.

Your highest DPS is both you and curly firing the nemesis upwards while standing on the ground. This applies to both Heavy press (just stand there and take the damage by the rollers, the nemesis won't level down and has the highest DPS anyway) And Ballos 1.

Follow Ballos' movements while standing inside of him, if you mash fast enough you should only eat about 36 damage, and depending on how well you did in hell you'll want to eat your life pot either before or after this part of the fight.

Phase 2 is pretty straight forward, get in his eye and when he jumps, at the apex just hold left or right to fall back into place, easy.

Phase 3 is hard to one cycle, but possible, you want to end phase 2 on the right side of the arena so you have the max amount of time to finish off the eyes before he goes around to the top.

You can kill him closer to the left, but it's harder to finish off the eyes before cycle 1 is done, and if you miss the cycle that another 10 seconds lost and you're most likely not going to get >3 min run.

You can use super missiles in a clutch situation, but I don't actually remember how many missiles for either level 2 or 3 takes to finish off phase 4 as I never did the missile strats while attempting runs.

Phase 4 of course is pretty easy, just get damaged by the spikes on the floor and hop into one of his eyes and mash really fast with the super missile launcher to kill him.

Dec 9, 2017 at 7:45 PM
Stoned Member
I'll share my strategy I guess... I used the snake and I managed to win after a few tries, probably not the best method but it worked.

Before Fight:
If you manage to get through hell with minimal damage, I applaud you.
Don't waste your life pot before the fight if possible, save it for when you're in a pinch during the fight.
Phase 1:
Not too hard, you just need to boost out of his way whenever he charges, most weapons should work well here.
Phase 2:
This one just takes patience, boost out of the way, and you're gonna need to be quick whenever he reaches the corners (boost over him instead of under, it's much safer)
The spur would be crazy useful here for hitting his eyes.
Phase 3:
This one is the easiest in my opinion, just don't get rolled on, use a weapon not affected by gravity that does a decent damage output and decent range to do this. (Lv. 1 blade should work believe it or not, just avoid the fireball / bubbler)
Phase 4:
This one is the cheese one, I don't use the damage boost with the spikes at the bottom that everyone uses, I just kinda boost into his eye once they open and spam the hell out of the super missile launcher.

Yeah, it seems easy in text, but hell itself is what fucks you up (Mainly the second area, fuck that part)

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:12 PM
Really the trick is to boost like crazy, and use whatever strategy you can use to take out the deletes as far ahead of time as you can. There are various different ways to abuse game mechanics so that you'll be able to make a delete start counting down before you're normally supposed to be able to reach it. And with Ballos, it's kind of tricky, but it really helps if you can make it so that Ballos' last form doesn't even make it a full rotation around the room by unleashing your missiles really rapidly such that you'll get all those eyes to close early on (which is something that I myself have never successfully done). There are plenty of videos showing people doing things like this.
Yeah i saw some things like using a snake but with the real version that's not that effective trading snake for spur
also i thought i heard the 2 line spur (not the full charge) is for some reason better because it can go through those timer things like you call them deleeeeets

I saw a weird trick where you could use the blade at level 3 to activate one but that seems super hard

I wonder what the fastest possible time is if you're using one of those fancy computer thing runs program things

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:24 PM
YoshiPilot Online
I wonder what the fastest possible time is if you're using one of those fancy computer thing runs program things
I once saw a TAS that got a 50fps Time of 2 min 4 sec, but they used a machine gun so they can go faster probably

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:02 AM
I once saw a TAS that got a 50fps Time of 2 min 4 sec, but they used a machine gun so they can go faster probably
i've seen people beat that though without computer stuff though
i wonder if you had machine gun snake and super would how fast could you go?

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
the world record for 50fps is 2'13 so I don't know how you expect to be able to do better than that

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:06 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Speaking of fps how do you make it go to 60

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:09 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Speaking of fps how do you make it go to 60
pretty sure usually people are talkin about cs+ in 60 fps runs but there's some patch you can run through boosters lab for 60 fps or use ollydbg if you want it on freeware

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:12 AM
War criminal
60fps best framerate for Cave Story

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:40 PM
the world record for 50fps is 2'13 so I don't know how you expect to be able to do better than that
what about this thing I saw it and i have no idea how to beat it

edit so i don't get a warning for double posting: I also have trouble when ballos's eyes come out i can't beat all of them before he makes another loop its really hard to do even with infinite missiles
how???

Last edited: