How was the island made / By whom

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, I made a discussion at the wiki about this, and this is what a guy said:

*I don't think any of the Gaudi said anything about Jenka creating the Island
There are 6 Gaudi you can talk to in the game. One is Chaba, who usually only talks about his shop. 4 of the others talk about the following: wanting to eat Mimiga, the Labyrinth M teleporter, the Boulder Chamber, and the reason why the island floats (nothing too specific; just hinting at the Core's existence).
The last Gaudi, however, talks about something much more interesting:
"It was ages ago...
A witch lived alone in solitude here on this island.
That witch would ultimately user her magic to create the labyrinth and confine us Gaudi within."
Chaba says something similar under some circumstances. He also mentions that they're protecting some kind of secret, "but we Gaudi have bad memories so we forget what we're protecting. Sorry!"
After putting that information about the Core and Jenka creating the Labyrinth together, there seems to be two possible conclusions. First off, Jenka may have created the Core when she created the Labyrinth, thus in turn creating the floating island. Or, the Core and the island already existed, but Jenka relocated it within the Labyrinth.
Either way, the island's existence is tied to the Core. If some random NPC in the game directly tells us who created the Core, then we've got a definite answer. Though knowing Pixel's tendency to give so few answers about the backstory, that likely isn't the case.*

Discuss

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Jenka did it.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is the dialogue in question:
Code:
Long, long ago, there lived a witch on this island.
She's the one who constructed this labyrinth, in order to keep us Gaudis penned up.
Code:
The one who sealed us up in here is a witch named Jenka.
...But it's not because she hates us or anything.
We're here in this labyrinth in order to protect something.
...I don't really remember what it is anymore, but that's all right!
Well Jenka confined the Gaudi to the labyrinth to guard the Core, but the island floats without the Core so that has nothing to do with anything. The Core just stops Ballos from making the island fall, the island clearly floats by other means.

Core + Ballos = Float
No Core + Ballos = Fall
No Core + No Ballos = Float

Your base assumption when asking this question is that the island was made, but there is no evidence to suggest for or against this. Floating islands might be a natural phenomenon for all we know. There is no way of knowing either way without also knowing how the island actually floats.

Hell Narrative Part 5 (AGTP):
Code:
Jenka, seeing her brother's madness, confined him to this floating island.
That was the most she could do.
Even as he was, she could not bring herself to kill her own brother...
Hell Narrative Part 5 (Official):
Code:
Driven insane by his punishment, Ballos was confined to the floating island in the sky by his sister, Jenka.
That was all she could do.
For Jenka, killing her own younger brother would be impossible.
If anything the dialogue implies that the island was already there before Ballos' confinement much more than it would imply that Jenka created the island.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:04 PM
"Huzzah!"
andwhyisit said:
This is the dialogue in question:

Long, long ago, there lived a witch on this island.
She's the one who constructed this labyrinth, in order to keep us Gaudis penned up.
Code:
The one who sealed us up in here is a witch named Jenka.
...But it's not because she hates us or anything.
We're here in this labyrinth in order to protect something.
...I don't really remember what it is anymore, but that's all right!
Well Jenka confined the Gaudi to the labyrinth to guard the Core, but the island floats without the Core so that has nothing to do with anything. The Core just stops Ballos from making the island fall, the island clearly floats by other means.

Core + Ballos = Float
No Core + Ballos = Fall
No Core + No Ballos = Float

Your base assumption when asking this question is that the island was made, but there is no evidence to suggest for or against this. Floating islands might be a natural phenomenon for all we know. There is no way of knowing either way without also knowing how the island actually floats.

Hell Narrative Part 5 (AGTP):
Code:
Jenka, seeing her brother's madness, confined him to this floating island.
That was the most she could do.
Even as he was, she could not bring herself to kill her own brother...
Hell Narrative Part 5 (Official):
Code:
Driven insane by his punishment, Ballos was confined to the floating island in the sky by his sister, Jenka.
That was all she could do.
For Jenka, killing her own younger brother would be impossible.
If anything the dialogue implies that the island was already there before Ballos' confinement much more than it would imply that Jenka created the island.
Wow, I never thought of it that way.
I've always assumed that the core kept it floating, but I guess I was wasn't thinking about it very well.
I knew Jenka was most likely behind the creation of the Island, though.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:33 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I can understand where most people would interpret the Core to be the cause of the island's levitation. It's the way this quote is worded:

A Gaudis said:
Have you ever seen the outside of this island?
This island is floating high in the skies.
As to how it manages to float...
That secret lies within this maze.
^ which kind of comes across as the Core being the only reason the island floats. Later in the game, the destruction of the Core does cause the island to start falling, but defeating Ballos brings it to a stop.

That aside, I don't think anyone seen within the game is actually the creator of this island, or what actually caused it to float. If the Core really was made to counteract Ballos' power, then it isn't the cause, so what does cause the island to float?

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:33 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I've said this before, there is a high deposit of upsidaisium within the island, that keeps it up high in the sky when the core and Ballos are gone

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Goerge Bobicles said:
I've said this before, there is a high deposit of upsidaisium within the island, that keeps it up high in the sky when the core and Ballos are gone