How to "run" PC Cave Story on your 3DS (Homebrew Launcher Required)

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Sorry but the notion of porting the freeware release to the 3DS, where a commercial release is already available, is dodgy as. While the "original translation" argument might seem to hold water, I am quite sure that 90% of the people who use it will not give a shit about the translation but will instead do it because they are cheapskates that don't want to pay for CS on their 3DS. In the end time is better spent porting to other consoles/handhelds/devices that actually can't play CS rather than punch holes in the game industry. The legality of it is questionable, but the morality in doing this is entirely absent.

NICALiS != the game industry, indeed some might say they are the damaging it. The legality here is in no way questionable, it's simply not illegal; the morality - slightly questionable. If someone wants to play it without paying, they could pirate it, which is much worse than using a port of an opensource engine. I don't think the game data files are even bundled with it, although I am not certain. I support this 100%.

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
NICALiS != the game industry
I meant that in a general sense, as in that sort of mentality damages the game industry.

The legality here is in no way questionable, it's simply not illegal;
NXEngine is legally grey at best. NXEngine is a clone engine of CS. Resources or not, it is subject to copyright law. However NXEngine hasn't conflicted with any commercial interests until now.

Go make a clone engine of CoD, make it play CoD, distribute it everywhere, and let me know when the courts spit you back out.

If someone wants to play it without paying, they could pirate it, which is much worse than using a port of an opensource engine.
How is it any different to the game developers? They still lose revenue either way. In fact they theoretically stand to lose more because this automatically justifies not paying for shit.

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:49 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Well, probably many of you posted it here, but i wanted to do it, so:
There is no sense playing Cave Story if you can't even kill enemies and beat the game :I
Also, it's not worth it even a bit, due to fact that cave story is something like 5$ in Nintendo eShop...

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well, probably many of you posted it here, but i wanted to do it, so:
There is no sense playing Cave Story if you can't even kill enemies and beat the game :I
Also, it's not worth it even a bit, due to fact that cave story is something like 5$ in Nintendo eShop...
God DAMN you guys can be negative.
Are you not even going to consider that maybe, you know, this is just an early version and those bugs can be fixed in the future?
also I'm pretty sure Nicalis is cool with NXengine and that has a port to the Wii so I think this is okay?

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:24 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Are you not even going to consider that maybe, you know, this is just an early version and those bugs can be fixed in the future?
also I'm pretty sure Nicalis is cool with NXengine and that has a port to the Wii so I think this is okay?
If NiCALIS wants to take it down, so be it.

Waiting for Libretro to update nightly packages, will add results to OP.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:37 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Someone ported the NXengine to flash and then a bunch of websites had a flash version of cave story on their sites, and Nicalis was pretty quick about taking those down, so them not taking down a Wii port of the NXengine is probably more them just not knowing about it than them being "okay" with it.

And if you want to get Nicalis's attention, well, posting it here is a pretty easy way to do that.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:59 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
NXEngine is legally grey at best. NXEngine is a clone engine of CS. Resources or not, it is subject to copyright law. However NXEngine hasn't conflicted with any commercial interests until now.
Go make a clone engine of CoD, make it play CoD, distribute it everywhere, and let me know when the courts spit you back out.

Actually, NXEngine has a Windows/Mac/Linux port, so therefore according to what you're saying, then it's conflicting with Cave Story+? I can see why you guys are saying it's legally gray, but remember, it REQUIRES the Homebrew Launcher, so as soon as Nintendo patches the exploit, then only people with Non-Updated systems will be able to run the NXEngine port.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015 at 4:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Actually, NXEngine has a Windows/Mac/Linux port,

But so does the freeware version. Basically, any freeware ports prior to Nicalis getting distribution rights (making CS Wii) are probably "safe", but after that they've been strict on taking them down, NXEngine or not (including a DS port that was in the works from before they even released CS Wii).

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The main problem with the flash port is that hundreds of websites distributed it for the sake of getting easy advertising revenue, and every one of them violated the NXEngine licence.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:36 AM
Someone ported the NXengine to flash and then a bunch of websites had a flash version of cave story on their sites, and Nicalis was pretty quick about taking those down

Nicalis didn't have much involvement with that being taken down. It was in violation of the GPL, and used advertising to gain profit.

By the way, we should remove the Amiga OS 4 port from the site because I contacted Tyrone about it, and he said it needed to be bug free.
The game has a bug that renders it impossible to complete - while the author had apparently managed to fix it, I couldn't track down the fixed version.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Nicalis didn't have much involvement with that being taken down. It was in violation of the GPL, and used advertising to gain profit.
But Nicalis was still the one who requested the takedown from most sites. Please see this: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/thr...and-is-making-money-from-it.4922/#post-171136

Also, for Nicalis's views on ports like these, you can also see this thread that Tyrone himself made: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/thr...ve-story-on-raspberry-pi-need-your-help.5063/

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:16 AM
Sep 13, 2015 at 8:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I have read both of those. Not sure what you're trying to point out.

You can't say "Nicalis didn't have much involvement with that being taken down." when Nicalis was the ones who issued the take-down requests. That's just plain wrong.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:43 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Don't forget that the homebrew stuff may not work on the lates 3DS family version.
Someody should check this out, as I can't find any evidence that it actually works in the most recent version.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:53 AM
You can't say "Nicalis didn't have much involvement with that being taken down." when Nicalis was the ones who issued the take-down requests. That's just plain wrong.

Is there any proof that it was taken down due to their requests? Other people had reported it beforehand.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:19 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The only thing other people reporting the ports before means is that Nicalis could've found out about the problem because of said reports, giving them an incentive to do something about it at all

People who complain online who don't have the legal rights to something can't take nearly as effective legal action as the company that actually owns the IP, even taking into account the violations of the sites

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015 at 9:30 AM
People who complain online who don't have the legal rights to something can't take nearly as effective legal action as the company that actually owns the IP, even taking into account the violations of the sites

That doesn't mean the sites won't act on reports by them. There are also websites that don't act on reports from either.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:27 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I am sorry, i understand that this is beta or whatever, but then he/she should post it when it's released, right? Or whatever, i didn't say that others can't play this.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That doesn't mean the sites won't act on reports by them.
It doesn't matter if that is true or not. We aren't talking about what could have been. Only Nicalis issued the takedown requests, no-one else did. Do you deny that reality?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM
It doesn't matter if that is true or not. We aren't talking about what could have been. Only Nicalis issued the takedown requests, no-one else did. Do you deny that reality?

I will never deny reality. Your statement is untrue, and hence is not reality. You cannot prove that no-one else issued takedown requests.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/621392 Here, it says the project was removed by the author. I acknowledge that this may not actually be the case.
http://b-som1.newgrounds.com/reviews/flash/responses You can see here that someone suggested the game may not be allowed due to it being a port.