How many of you just buy movies digtally now?

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:16 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I've started to abandon DVDs/Blu-Rays in favor of digital streaming services like Google Play/Netflix/etc. Do any of you do that now?

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:35 PM
Streaming services are rather expensive in the long run, also you cannot keep a local copy.

(I would rather have physical media rather than streaming.)

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Tale_Zero said:
Streaming services are rather expensive in the long run, also you cannot keep a local copy.

(I would rather have physical media rather than streaming.)
Mind you, I can get the movie quicker digitally, assuming I buy everything online, which I mostly do these days.
Also, there is something called DVD+Blu-Ray+Digital HD packs.

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:47 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
for the most part, I'm usually dissatisfied with streaming because there isn't really a wide selection of things I actually want to watch and things get removed all the time which sucks

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
you can pay for movies?

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Mate your post had me laughing so hard I almost forgot I'm going to be drafted to the military in 2 years. I live in Eastern Europe, there is a HUGE torrenting/cracking culture here. Partly due to the soviet mentality of hoarding stuff (there used to be a deficit of items like toilette paper back in soviet times) and simply because no one wants to be seen as a sap, a putz, a pidgeon, a schnegaggie.

You just pirate stuff by default, hell, that was the main reason why early lithuanians even GOT the internet, so you wouldn't have to buy games! The only viable reason to "buy" movies here is humour, as a joke. For example, as a joke, I gave my brother a "Fast and Furious 6" DVD for Christmas. My countrymen either go "wtf" or "lel" when someone mentions that americans use such services as netflix.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:11 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I don't buy movies at all

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:08 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I watch godzilla films from my Dad's old VHS tapes, and I watch old other VHS tapes like Batman beyond, Superman, etc. And I watch some dvds of anything I have around my house. I try to buy other Godzilla films on VHS and DVD; because they can be taken anywhere nothing else required (Minus a TV of course). I don't personally like online movies/TV shows, I'd rather find a physical copy if I can first, otherwise I don't have much trouble doing it online.

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:33 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
My friend lets me use his Netflix. Netflix is superior because it doesn't give a flying fuck about its content (the Human Centipede is on there, like WTF).

I'm hoping the next Avatar: The Last Airbender series is a Netflix series. Nickelodeon pulled funding from the Legends of Korra because it started taking on a more mature theme. God forbid some people enjoy actual character development....

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:43 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I... don't watch movies.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DVD, all the way. I prefer to own my shit rather than buy a limited licence for something tied to a service that will one day die and leave me with absolutely nothing. I also like the idea of being able to watch what I want when I want.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:59 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
SuperJaws100 said:
My friend lets me use his Netflix. Netflix is superior because it doesn't give a flying fuck about its content (the Human Centipede is on there, like WTF).

I'm hoping the next Avatar: The Last Airbender series is a Netflix series. Nickelodeon pulled funding from the Legends of Korra because it started taking on a more mature theme. God forbid some people enjoy actual character development....
I don't know, the characters themselves seem to have already been developed by this point. and the problem with netflix in my experiance is that it has a lot of things I really don't care for to the point that it takes forever to swim through it to find something I might enjoy.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:13 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Let's put it this way... Do I spend $750.00+ USD on a single blu-ray TV series, that I will watch once every... 10 years, or do I spend around 7$ for a month to binge watch hundreds of episodes in decent HD quality.

A few years ago I was the one paying the ridiculous prices. And I love owning and supporting them! But... I'm at the point where, I REALLY wish I had that $750.00 USD to spend on something else at the moment...

So yeah currently, I am enjoying Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon Prime, or HBO every couple of months this year.
Sure I would love to own the stuff I really like, but if I'm watching it once every several to 10 years... It's just not a good deal. :(

(... this goes for hollywood movies as well, even with their lower price tag.)

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:16 PM
Based Member
It's been almost 2 years since the last time I got a movie on DVD. And when I did, I looked at the DVD case and though to myself "Huh, this is kind of starting to feel old-fashioned." I've since transitioned to viewing things on Netflix and Google Play. In my opinion, DVDs are starting to fall behind on times because they can only be viewed when hooked up to a device that can read discs, whereas streaming services are ubiquitous across all internet-capable devices.

andwhyisit said:
DVD, all the way. I prefer to own my shit rather than buy a limited licence for something tied to a service that will one day die and leave me with absolutely nothing. I also like the idea of being able to watch what I want when I want.
That same argument could be used for physical film formats. VHS tapes have come and gone, and we'll probably see the same happen to DVDs and Blu-rays some day. Sure, you can hang on to your old VCR and DVD player or buy a new one off Ebay if it breaks, but they'll become harder to come by and less convenient to use as time goes on.

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM

The only reason I don't pirate movies because I got a warning from my internet provider when I had to pirate Fifty Shades of Grey for my mom (don't ask). The only bad experience I ever had with streaming movies was when I got Wakko's WIsh (I love Animaniacs, okay?) on Google Play. The quality was even worse than THE DVD VERSION of the same movie (kinda inexcusable), and the subtitles were 2 seconds too late.
I watch godzilla films from my Dad's old VHS tapes, and I watch old other VHS tapes like Batman beyond, Superman, etc. And I watch some dvds of anything I have around my house. I try to buy other Godzilla films on VHS and DVD; because they can be taken anywhere nothing else required (Minus a TV of course). I don't personally like online movies/TV shows, I'd rather find a physical copy if I can first, otherwise I don't have much trouble doing it online.
The problem with VHS tapes is that they are hard to keep a DVD backup of them, especially if they have copy protection. I, however, bought a $30 black box that goes between my VCR and DVD recorder that removes Macrovision. Worked for my tons of VHS tapes from Disney, 20th Century Fox, etc.

I have had a case of a restriction-free digital copy coming with a DVD. The movie in question was Back to the Sea (it's basically the anime version of FInding Nemo, I highly recommend it), and it came with a code for a download ticket of a DRM-free .mp4 file of the movie. Sadly, I lost the file accidentally, and cannot download it again. >_<

Also, GOG has been selling DRM-free movies for a while now.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:40 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
To be honest, I feel like with the advent of multiple streaming and sharing services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc, many people will stop paying exorbitant amounts of money for cable and start utilizing the internet. Especially as more and more companies put more and more content on these sorts of providers.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I pretty much go with whatever. Streamed, Movie theater, Netflix, etc. As long as I get to see the movie then i'm good.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I don't watch movies, so I don't pirate or buy them. My siblings are a big fan of Netflix, though.

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
HaydenStudios said:
That same argument could be used for physical film formats. VHS tapes have come and gone, and we'll probably see the same happen to DVDs and Blu-rays some day. Sure, you can hang on to your old VCR and DVD player or buy a new one off Ebay if it breaks, but they'll become harder to come by and less convenient to use as time goes on.
DVD and Blu-ray are optical disc formats, computers will support them for years to come, long after the last DVD player bites the dust.

Oh and I can still buy turntables and VHS players even today. Hell, you can still buy external floppy drives in this day and age.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:16 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
andwhyisit said:
Hell, you can still buy external floppy drives in this day and age.
I can vouch for this, got one not too long ago lol.

Personally, I use Netflix to watch TV shows and movies. BUT, If I like the movie enough to ever watch it again at some point, I will go get a DVD copy from Amazon. I very much enjoy owning physical copies of things, which is why I'm more of a console gamer. I never buy anything digitally. As far as music goes, it's basically the same thing. I torrent it, then if I like it, I'll buy the CD.