Hope of Shané (Frost: version β)

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hope of Shané: Frost version β has been released. A few days early, but it has been released nonetheless. Nobody was harmed during the making of this mod. Except for me, of course, because I broke my left arm falling off a ladder on 17 May 2013. Yet I continued modding (with the help of another admin from my fora) so no worries. For now.

THANKS GO TO:
Too many to recall :p
See the "Readme.txt" file for that.

PLOT:
Shané Lambrechts, a young girl from Kimlasca Town on the fictional planet of Sylraphia, finds herself in an icy cold cave... sadly, with amnesia. Her quest begins with escaping this chilly cave and regaining her memory, but what she may discover will make her quest all the more important...

DOWNLOADS:
Hope of Shané: Frost Version α:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?e217kce79s14l9l
Hope of Shané: Frost Version β:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?867x8ud7hnawmev
Copy one of those links into your browser's address bar.
It's the only way I can post links without IP Bored mangling them.

Version History:
FROST VERSION
Version 0.1 ended in Kimlasca Town, where the Critter Invasion began.
Version 0.2 ended in the version-exclusive area, the Mystery Mines, after the cave-in, although you can continue playing the mod after that...

ANNOUNCEMENT:
You probably know that, once I'm 100% finished with Frost, that I will begin work on the Ember, Spark and Toxin versions. However, when I'm done with that, I will make a sequel named Canon. The reason for this is, in fact, quite simple: Frost, Ember, Spark and Toxin are all canon. Hope of Shané: Canon will be darker and edgier than its prequels, and will require Shané's four personalities to merge. Something like that.

NOTE: Because of some mysterious glitch that ALWAYS occurs if I edit the credits script (except for version α of Frost), the credits have been removed from the mod entirely - you can, thus, no longer see the names and such of the characters via the credits, sadly.

ANOTHER NOTE: The weird dialogue in the mod? It needs to be replaced, and while a lot of characters have dialogue I wrote for them, those in the second Hotel of Kimlasca Town are not mine. Taylor, an admin at my forums, made those characters, and she gave them default dialogue if nobody were to give them any.
If you'd like to help out with dialogue:
Code:
http://shanescavestory.createaforum.com/hope-of-shane-frostember/dialogue-help/
That link goes to a thread at the Dragon Riders Planning Forums where the characters with boring dialogue are.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Veteran Member
You should make the blue pokemon red in ember *shot again*
Nah, i'm not an idiot. Sound's like an interesting mod...uh...whatever! =P

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'd comment on how big a hole you're digging yourself into, but we've already discussed this at least twice and you're still not getting the fact that making more mods lowers the overall quality of all of your mods and increases the chance of abandoning older mods that you're working on

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Im guessing the character will have amnesia.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
I think the character will have half-amnesia (He can remember a few things, such as his name, but most he can't remember)

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Don't.

The end.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
@Liam It's a she :mad:

I'd like her to be unamnesiac, if that's alright...

And I'm sorry. Hope your grandfather rests in peace...

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Professional Whatever
Oh, and sorry if I'm annoying you guys with another mod.
If too many get annoyed I guess I'll stop modding.
That's not what we're saying. Just focus on one or two mods. It's not that hard.
Practicing your modding skills is one thing, but publishing dozens of half-assed mods here doesn't really go over well.

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I don't anymore.
Confidence is a thing you know. You need enough confidence in your mod To devote yourself to it. Don't just do shit that sounds kinda cool. Coming up with ideas is easy, making a finished product is hard.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
If you start too many projects you're just going to end up not working on King's Story at all and instead making a Cave Story editor and then starting on 2 other game projects not finishing any of them.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM
The Eternal Darkness
liammillay said:
You should make the blue pokemon red in ember *shot again*
Nah, i'm not an idiot. Sound's like an interesting mod...uh...whatever! =P
Who shot you the first time?
And thanks.

I'd comment on how big a hole you're digging yourself into, but we've already discussed this at least twice and you're still not getting the fact that making more mods lowers the overall quality of all of your mods and increases the chance of abandoning older mods that you're working on
Shane, I don't think the whole idea is bad, but think double multiherpderpduple before starting new mod.

Also what MagicDoors said.
Don't.

The end.
Who says I don't want to dig myself into a massive hole? :o

Shane I thought we'd been over the seven mods thing already

Like, when you first joined the forums

:b
And the twelve mods-thing (approximately) are because of some sort of Attention Deficit Creator Disorder or something like that (can't remember the exact name that TV Tropes called it).
Twelve Cave Story mods, two fanfics (both of them Pokémon fanfics, but three counting Shane's Cave Story 0) and another story. Would have added an RPG but RPG Maker VX Ace Lite got deleted a few days ago.

Im guessing the character will have amnesia.
I think the character will have half-amnesia (He can remember a few things, such as his name, but most he can't remember)
@Liam It's a she :mad:

I'd like her to be unamnesiac, if that's alright...

And I'm sorry. Hope your grandfather rests in peace...
Omega is correct. Omega may name the first town in Frost.
Shané's amnesia is so bad that she only remembers how to walk, jump and English.

And thanks, Polaris.
That makes you the fifth (?) person to say that who is from these forums.

That's not what we're saying. Just focus on one or two mods. It's not that hard.
Practicing your modding skills is one thing, but publishing dozens of half-assed mods here doesn't really go over well.
I know that's not what you guys are saying, although it seems to be so if one reads to quickly (which I usually do).

Yeah dude Shane all your mods are already good, imagine how they'd be if you focused on one at a time.
Unfinished? :p
The first few mods, was mainly started to keep myself busy while Randolf helped out with the ASM hacks... although at the point of Into the Unknown, I guess my ADC disorder got a little out of hand ^_^"

Confidence is a thing you know. You need enough confidence in your mod To devote yourself to it. Don't just do shit that sounds kinda cool. Coming up with ideas is easy, making a finished product is hard.
Any confidence I've had was shattered into oblivion way before 2009. -_-
In other words, as early as 2003.

If you start too many projects you're just going to end up not working on King's Story at all and instead making a Cave Story editor and then starting on 2 other game projects not finishing any of them.
Somehow I knew Noxid was somehow going to be mentioned.
I'm a horrible programmer though, unless it's TSC. So I doubt I'll make a Cave Story editor in the far future XD
I can't even program a basic clock.

In trying to say something related to the mod, I'm probably going to do something that I didn't want to do (say something about the mod like bosses unless somebody guesses correctly or something) but... it's best to be safer than sorry.

I've begun work on the boss for Frost. It'll use Balrog's AI but will be a Gaudi-ish foe.

And I also discovered that falling off the screen for too long ends up in drowning.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You must remember that Quote's amnesiac as well. :p

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
My boy, EVERYONE'S AMNESIAC! :p

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I don't anymore.
Lampshading isn't gonna help the fact that this is a bad idea.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Perhaps not, but if Shane wants to do this mod and so many others, I say let him be. :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Guys, the only thing wrong about Shane doing more than about 7 at a time (not literally, Shane. :p ) is it's maybe difficult to prioritize and may cause a bigger strain on your mind as you have a lot more to do at a time.

It won't impede the quality of one's products if one can handle the stress involved and has it figured out on the time management.

Shane's very bright, and perhaps used to the stress involved, so I'm sure he can handle it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM
The Eternal Darkness
Polaris said:
Perhaps not, but if Shane wants to do this mod and so many others, I say let him be. :)
Thank you.

Guys, the only thing wrong about Shane doing more than about 7 at a time (not literally, Shane. :p ) is it's maybe difficult to prioritize and may cause a bigger strain on your mind as you have a lot more to do at a time.
Actually, if I had to count, this is my seventh mod. Cave Story - Time Warp, Shane's Cave Story (or Dragon Riders, I dunno), Shadow of the Stars, Cave Story Re:coded, The Curse of Il'andri'iel, and Into the Unknown are the first six released mods of mine.

It won't impede the quality of one's products if one can handle the stress involved and has it figured out on the time management.
If only I didn't start procrastinating between 5 February and 20 February. Oh well, saved me a lot of time on doing the credits :mrgreen:

Shane's very bright, and perhaps used to the stress involved, so I'm sure he can handle it.
... Taken literally, I don't see how I'm a light. :p

Anyway, bumping because there's a playable demo.
Hope of Shané: Frost Version 0.1 download

Please note that this mod contains weirdness. And somethings unexpected.

Also, if you are wondering which of the four versions (Frost, Ember, Spark, Toxin) are canon, here's my answer: all of them.

Now, if a kind admin or moderator could please move this to Showcase, thanks in advance!