Hero's Return (abandoned)

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
As for the core, a "Deafeated the Frozen Core!" message is more or less complementary, as well as changing the music back to normal and showing the new passage open up.

As for another bug I forgot to mention, in the Puuh Black fight he'll jump up through the top of the screen but land on the top of the area you're supposed to fight him in instead of inside. That's just his behavior, I don't think you can do much to change that except for making the ceiling of the room non-solid. You are also able to leave the room once the fight has begun, only the top block of the 2-block high entrance closes.

You may also want to fix the door right before the Puuh Black fight, the exiting part of it doesn't have the correct bottom sprite. You can put a door entity without any flags or event # there to get a door to appear there instead of placing the tile of the top half.

Also, I'd give your mod a 6/10 right now, disregarding some of the bugs and the not-so-great dialogue. Improve the story, making it clearer what's going on and fix all of the bugs mentioned and you'll probably get an even better rating for your mod!

Yeah, I know, I've already fixed the Pooh Black fight and some other things (version 0.204 will be probably released on Wednesday) and you can leave the room because there are some hearts on the right of the map. And I promise I'll make it easier to find what you're supposed to do.

EDIT:
0.204 finished.
http://www.mediafire...2a8x1sv4avoyltt
EDIT: 0.204 is impossible.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ok, you fixed the texture in the kitchen and tried to fix the puuh black fight, along with making the space area easier.

-You still need to fix the Frozen Core fight. Restore the music, put a victory sound and a 'defeated the frozen core' message or something like that there and move the view to the appearing door. Also, you may want the boss fight to activate earlier. Right now you have to get really close to the core, beyond the reach of the platforms, before it'll activate. That may make you get stuck in the water when the fight begins.
-Space is now completely impossible. If those homing flames were destroyable by bullets, then I'd like it but right now those things can and will kill you despite doing only 1 damage. Remember you have 10 hearts at the most at that point and they will keep on following you.
-The Puuh Black fight isn't fixed yet. Puuh Black still lands on the ceiling of the room instead of going through it. You can shoot regular polar star bullets through now though.
-Obviously most of the other bugs i mentioned before, but the ones above are the new ones.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm going to try out this cool new style of mod reviewing

Storyline/Dialogue/Why Are These Different Categories: 5/10 Okay. Everything just kind of happens all at once without much explanation, but there's some nice character interaction and <ANP use, especially early on.

Level Design/Gameplay/These Would Appear To Fall Under The Same Heading As Well: 6/10 Patchy. There are some really neat things, like the new breaky blocks, the area that needs the Map System, and especially the parts with the locked movement; as far as I can remember, that's yet another first for Cave Story modding. However, the difficulty level is inconsistent, and some of the maps have a lot of empty space. In the space area in particular, most of the enemies take forever to kill and there are huge numbers of them. I made it to the save point halfway-up the space station area on my own, but I turned on hax to get past those rooms with the flames in them. Overall though I really like the general design, and you make some good use of TSC and ASM so it's clear you've learned more than just the basics.

New Grafix: 8/10 gr8! :D The space enemies are all nicely done and the frosty blue tilesets are superchill. Every mod should have an icy area :mahin:

New Musics: 5/10 Okay. Not really much to them, but they do help create a bit of an uneasy atmosphere. The double-speed tracks sound like what they are, so I'm neutral regarding them. If you like, you can check out the ORG thread and see if you can find some goodies there that our good folk will let you borrow :orangebell:

Fixes/Improvements that haven't already been mentioned:
-In the first against the giant critter, it's very easy to completely nullify his attacks by hiding inside the clouds and spamming the Snake.
-I don't know if Pooh Black sitting on the roof is glitch or that fights' gimmick, but I kind of like it the way it is now :toroko2:
-In the "Corridor" map near the end, if you save or leave the area it won't save the change in wind direction after activating the terminal. Bigger problem is that it does save the activation of the terminal, so you can get stuck with the wind permanently blowing downwards.
-Again, dock the health of some of the space enemies, particularly the ones that shoot the laser rings. I do like how you made their projectiles destroyable though :D
-At the other end of the spectrum, things are easy for a long while near the start (as long as you complete the first bonus room) and there are almost too many save points.

Overall Score: 4/10 Because this is exactly how averaging works :hoppy: Seriously though there's no point in me trying to rate mods numerically. They're almost always fun and always flawed in some way, so sticking numbers on things won't say any more than what I say myself. Having said that, I will say that it's always good to see another promising new mod on the block, especially seeing as there haven't been that many lately.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Based Member
Oh, hey. Looks like even an admin has seen value in my mod rating system.
Storyline/Dialogue/Why Are These Different Categories
They are in different categories because I feel they attribute different aspects of the mod. The original Cave Story and Nicalis' publications are the same game with the same storyline, but they have different dialog, and can both receive unique ratings, right?

Level Design/Gameplay/These Would Appear To Fall Under The Same Heading As Well
I don't know about that. Level design is only one aspect of the game that contributes to its gameplay.

Also, I guess you don't have to do this, but after each rating, I have a word to describe the level of achievment.

1 = Abysmal
2 = Pathetic
3 = Poor
4 = Bad
5 = Mediocre
6 = Fair
7 = Good
8 = Great
9 = Excellent
10 = Amazing

Seriously though there's no point in me trying to rate mods numerically. They're almost always fun and always flawed in some way, so sticking numbers on things won't say any more than what I say myself.
That's fine if you don't like it, but it works for me.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM
hi hi
sjasogun1 said:
Ok, you fixed the texture in the kitchen and tried to fix the puuh black fight, along with making the space area easier.

-You still need to fix the Frozen Core fight. Restore the music, put a victory sound and a 'defeated the frozen core' message or something like that there and move the view to the appearing door. Also, you may want the boss fight to activate earlier. Right now you have to get really close to the core, beyond the reach of the platforms, before it'll activate. That may make you get stuck in the water when the fight begins.
-Space is now completely impossible. If those homing flames were destroyable by bullets, then I'd like it but right now those things can and will kill you despite doing only 1 damage. Remember you have 10 hearts at the most at that point and they will keep on following you.
-The Puuh Black fight isn't fixed yet. Puuh Black still lands on the ceiling of the room instead of going through it. You can shoot regular polar star bullets through now though.
-Obviously most of the other bugs i mentioned before, but the ones above are the new ones.

Oh SHIT I forgot to make the homing flames destroyable.
Sorry about that...

And the only way to fix the Pooh Black fight is remove the ceiling.
Or make it non-solid.

DoubleThink said:
I'm going to try out this cool new style of mod reviewing

Storyline/Dialogue/Why Are These Different Categories: 5/10 Okay. Everything just kind of happens all at once without much explanation, but there's some nice character interaction and <ANP use, especially early on.

Level Design/Gameplay/These Would Appear To Fall Under The Same Heading As Well: 6/10 Patchy. There are some really neat things, like the new breaky blocks, the area that needs the Map System, and especially the parts with the locked movement; as far as I can remember, that's yet another first for Cave Story modding. However, the difficulty level is inconsistent, and some of the maps have a lot of empty space. In the space area in particular, most of the enemies take forever to kill and there are huge numbers of them. I made it to the save point halfway-up the space station area on my own, but I turned on hax to get past those rooms with the flames in them. Overall though I really like the general design, and you make some good use of TSC and ASM so it's clear you've learned more than just the basics.

New Grafix: 8/10 gr8! :D The space enemies are all nicely done and the frosty blue tilesets are superchill. Every mod should have an icy area :mahin:

New Musics: 5/10 Okay. Not really much to them, but they do help create a bit of an uneasy atmosphere. The double-speed tracks sound like what they are, so I'm neutral regarding them. If you like, you can check out the ORG thread and see if you can find some goodies there that our good folk will let you borrow :orangebell:

Fixes/Improvements that haven't already been mentioned:
-In the first against the giant critter, it's very easy to completely nullify his attacks by hiding inside the clouds and spamming the Snake.
-I don't know if Pooh Black sitting on the roof is glitch or that fights' gimmick, but I kind of like it the way it is now :toroko2:
-In the "Corridor" map near the end, if you save or leave the area it won't save the change in wind direction after activating the terminal. Bigger problem is that it does save the activation of the terminal, so you can get stuck with the wind permanently blowing downwards.
-Again, dock the health of some of the space enemies, particularly the ones that shoot the laser rings. I do like how you made their projectiles destroyable though :D
-At the other end of the spectrum, things are easy for a long while near the start (as long as you complete the first bonus room) and there are almost too many save points.

Overall Score: 4/10 Because this is exactly how averaging works :hoppy: Seriously though there's no point in me trying to rate mods numerically. They're almost always fun and always flawed in some way, so sticking numbers on things won't say any more than what I say myself. Having said that, I will say that it's always good to see another promising new mod on the block, especially seeing as there haven't been that many lately.

Ah yes, and I think he's too weak. What do you think?

I probably forgot to change flag in the Corridor...

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:33 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Oh, hey. Looks like even an admin has seen value in my mod rating system.
That's one way of looking at it I guess :droll: My intention was to try and streamline it a bit, because at the moment it has a number of redundancies and isn't a particularly effective way of providing people with meaningful feedback.
Also, I guess you don't have to do this, but after each rating, I have a word to describe the level of achievment.
...I did do that

Ah yes, and I think he's too weak. What do you think?
Well fighting him 'normally', the thrown blocks kill you in one hit, so I wouldn't really describe that as "weak"

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Based Member
That's one way of looking at it I guess :droll: My intention was to try and streamline it a bit, because at the moment it has a number of redundancies and isn't a particularly effective way of providing people with meaningful feedback.
Ok.

...I did do that
Whoops, sorry.

I think that dialog and storyline deserve their own categories, but I guess level design and gameplay MIGHT be questionable.

ON TOPIC: I got to the part with the fight with the already damaged beatle. I've got to say, most of your sped up songs aren't much of anything special. And it is a bit redundant at times for Balrog to keep doing the same animation he does for grabbing you and Curly when he takes you out of hell. Anyway, I'll give a more thorough and updated review when I've had more time to play this.

HUZZAH! 190th post!

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
DoubleThink, on 17 February 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

New Grafix: 8/10 gr8! The space enemies are all nicely done and the frosty blue tilesets are superchill. Every mod should have an icy area

I agree with DoubleThink. Every mod SHOULD have an icy area. That said, this mod seems interesting enough for me to want to play... I dunno why. Oh well, probably because I like Cave Story and its mods. Pity some of them are cancelled...

Edit by DT: This is how you selectively quote things

Edit by Shane: Downloaded it. Haven't played it yet. Will play tonight, or tomorrow.

Edit2: It's hard. That puzzle near the signpost is hard. I tried shooting everything in the Life Capsule room with the Polar Star 2.0 and somehow I still got killed by something with white eyes (that's all I saw). Then I continued with 3 HP to the Frozen Core, something I should have done after figuring the Life Capsule riddle. Lost in one hit, and I dodged. This mod is great, though. 6/10 for the difficulty. The graphics, 9/10. The music, 4/10 (understandable, since you can't use OrgMaker well at the moment, instead remaking the CS music). It started out boring, but the moment Quote got sent to the cave with the signpost, it turned out to be fun!

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:21 AM
hi hi
I decided that I'm leaving this mod. It's not fun for me when I'm making it, and I'm quite busy with HHs and The Brown Lines, so I'm simply abandoning it. If someone wants to continue it, I can send the half-made 0.3 to this person. And I'm sorry, but I have to. That's all.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Aw Mixer, that's a shame but if you feel that way than nothing I can do :)

I loved this mod especially the space part, very cool! :D

Anyway when one door closes another one opens~

The Brown Lines (working hard)

Haha I can't wait to see this one, oh and don't you forget about Haunted House Story!

But in all honesty you can do whatever you want, just have fun. But I for one am awaiting new quality stuff from you Mixer my friend :p

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM
hi hi
Thank you, that mod was my first mod on the forums. But now I feel I don't like making CS-related mods. HHs and TBL are not related to CS at all, and my plans are to make them and one another, and that will probably be possible to do...

My target was to make fun to play mods, but they don't seem to be very popular... Except HHs, it is good, I think.

Since I am learning ASM, I will try to include more great things to my mods.

To mod - or not to mod - the eternal question.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
.... (thinks) let me finish the mod .