HaydenStudios' Critiques on Noxid's Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Anyone who reads this, know that this was originally a part of the thread for Noxid's Story.

First things first.
Also It's still technically April Fool's Day so I'm not late for the party :mahin:
1/10 april fools is over retard

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

it is in my time zone don't you give me that sass

Sorry, but you were thirteen minutes late Noxid's time, and that's the time zone that counts because this whole mod revolves around Noxid. Also, this really isn't an April Fools joke.
Anyway, here's what I think:
Storyline: 7/10 Good. I'm not usually a fan of mods that don't have a serious storyline, but you had surprisingly good execution of this.

Dialog: 8/10 Great. Even though I hate being reminded that I'm the creator of one of the biggest fail threads ever to exist on these forums, I laughed pretty hard. The way he interacts with Royaltyler and the spambots were pretty funny too. And the spambots' dialogs themselves were halarious. I also got a laugh out of the dialog with windsofwinds.

Level Design: 6/10 Fair. You did an ok job of designing levels that weren't basically empty and without bells an whistles, but I found some places cramped, making it hard to maneuver around enemies. Oh, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get those life capsules, or if it's even pissible. The spambot lair was interesting though.

Gameplay: 6/10 Fair. One thing Cave Story does NOT do, and that a lot of mods do is give you very few weapons. This mod only gives you one weapon. And it's not even an all-purpose one either. Having only one weapon to do away with all of the enemies makes fighting them boring. Also, some things can easily kill you in one hit since I know of no way to make your HP go higher than 10 without hacking the game. But that was interesting what you did for the respawn points instead of having to find a floppy disk.

Custom Graphics: 7/10 Good. The tile set for the spambot lair was pretty good. Simple, but good. So were the graphics for the banhammer. But the graphics as a whole weren't spectacular. The resprited critters and Gaudis were nothing special either, but still nothing to sneeze at. Was my avatar mutilated into a JPEGgy state on purpose? Or were you just too lazy to properly re-size it? Anyway, even though I knew what Noxid looked like in real life, I still laughed at his face picture. The expression amused me for some reason.

Custom Music: 8/10 Great. The only custom song I noticed was the song in the cat room. It was pretty good.

Glitches:
- The door leading from the Satelite lounge to the Weed Dreams has no open sound.
- If I view the "Slingless slingshot," in my inventory, it shows the item name and description of the Gum Base from Cave Story.
- When I mention the Polar Star, we see the graphic item for the fireball.
- When you have a hor/vert trigger that sends you to to another room, it's always better to use the <PRI command instead of the <KEY command. Pixel always used the <PRI command in his game. At the end of chapter 2, I was able to boost far enough off the edge of the map so that I started falling down before it transitioned to the next room.
Overall Score: 7/10 Good. This mod is a funny example of what Noxid encuonters on these forums and how he handles it from members who slightly annoy him, to trolls, to spambots. It was all pretty good for a silly mod.

Improvements:
- When I get to the slums of Herb Village, I get a question mark when I go up to the door from which I came. Maybe you should instead make a message box appear explaining why you can't get back through.
- I'm able to move around while the text box before the resprite of Ballos' second form comes. You'd better put a <KEY or <PRI command there so that it doesn't take the text so long to run.

Other Comments/Concerns:
- The banhammer's description claims that a cat's soul dwells within. When I shoot with level three, it looks more like King than a cat.
- "It's a nice cozy bed. It has no purpose now." LoL!
- "It's locked you dumbasss." Haha!
- I don't think that Noxid would EVER harm a cat. When you defeat Monster X, a cat comes out, suggesting that Noxid hurt a cat. This makes no sense at all.
- I found the Father Spambot a lot easier to beat than Royaltyler.
- The title screen says, "Studio Pixel Presents," and it shows the Doctor taking the Demon Crown from Miakid's skull. Also, the main menu says that it's version 1.0.0.6, and that it was published by Studio Pixel on December, 2004. These are some of the things that indicate an unprofessional mod in my opinion.
Noxid said:
My biggest complaint has to be with the final boss. Armed with only a banhammer and 15 health, it is near impossible to defeat without some kind of mad skillz and patience,
^This

ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
I plan to give the mod one or three more *minor* updates. Chances are, there won't be any sequels or prequels,
*Hacks the game to beat the final boss, and then sees the ending cutscene.*
Um.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Been here way too long...
These are some of the things that indicate an unprofessional mod in my opinion.
These are some things that no one gives half a flying fuck about, because he made the mod for fun over the course of three weeks. You also don't seem to liek mods that try to be different from Cave Story.
3/10 would not recommend this review.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:36 AM
"Huzzah!"
Will flying fucks be a boss in the next version, you think, Fab?

Come on people, it's a fun, enthusiastically made mod. What more could you want?

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Based Member
@Captain Fabulous

Whoa, geez man. If nobody cares, then why do some mods change it? And really, I'm not saying this mod is bad at all. It never hurts to critique something to make it better. Also, I think Schism is pretty good.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM
"Huzzah!"
Whoa, geez man. If nobody cares, then why do some mods change it? Also, I think Schism is pretty good.

On that topic, does anyone have any bleeding idea when Schism 1.0 is going to be released?

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:39 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
First things first.

Sorry, but you were thirteen minutes late Noxid's time, and that's the time zone that counts because this whole mod revolves around Noxid. Also, this really isn't an April Fools joke.
Anyway, here's what I think

I don't see why that matters at all.

And yeah, it might not be a joke, but it was made for the sake of humor. I think that counts for something.

EDIT: Also, yeah, people do change that Studio Pixel 2004 etc etc thing in the beginning, but not always. Like he said, Sebti made it for fun in a really short amount of time. And I don't really see why professionalism matters at all since it was made for fun and not super duper srsly.

But yeah I ought to stop. I can predict that this'll turn into a huge argument with inflated walls of text.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Based Member
I don't see why that matters at all.
It matters because me and SEBTI were having a VM conversation about what we did for April Fools Day.

And yeah, it might not be a joke, but it was made for the sake of humor. I think that counts for something.
Of course it's still funny, I'm just getting my point across that SEBTI didn't make something that would hoodwink people.

EDIT: Oh, I see you made an edit. Well, anyway, it's not a lot of effort to change those. But yeah, we don't want to cause a really long argument.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
HaydenStudios said:
Sorry, but you were thirteen minutes late Noxid's time, and that's the time zone that counts because this whole mod revolves around Noxid. Also, this really isn't an April Fools joke.(1)
Anyway, here's what I think:
Storyline: 7/10 Good. I'm not usually a fan of mods that don't have a serious storyline, but you had surprisingly good execution of this.

Dialog: 8/10 Great. Even though I hate being reminded that I'm the creator of one of the biggest fail threads ever to exist on these forums, I laughed pretty hard. The way he interacts with Royaltyler and the spambots were pretty funny too. And the spambots' dialogs themselves were halarious. I also got a laugh out of the dialog with windsofwinds.

Level Design: 6/10 Fair. You did an ok job of designing levels that weren't basically empty and without bells an whistles, but I found some places cramped, making it hard to maneuver around enemies. Oh, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get those life capsules, or if it's even pissible. The spambot lair was interesting though.

Gameplay: 6/10 Fair. One thing Cave Story does NOT do, and that a lot of mods do is give you very few weapons. This mod only gives you one weapon.(2) And it's not even an all-purpose one either. Having only one weapon to do away with all of the enemies makes fighting them boring. Also, some things can easily kill you in one hit since I know of no way to make your HP go higher than 10 without hacking the game.(3) But that was interesting what you did for the respawn points instead of having to find a floppy disk.

Custom Graphics: 7/10 Good. The tile set for the spambot lair was pretty good. Simple, but good. So were the graphics for the banhammer. But the graphics as a whole weren't spectacular.(1) The resprited critters and Gaudis were nothing special either, but still nothing to sneeze at. Was my avatar mutilated into a JPEGgy state on purpose?(4) Or were you just too lazy to properly re-size it? Anyway, even though I knew what Noxid looked like in real life, I still laughed at his face picture. The expression amused me for some reason.

Custom Music: 8/10 Great. The only custom song I noticed was the song in the cat room. It was pretty good.

Glitches:
- The door leading from the Satelite lounge to the Weed Dreams has no open sound.
- If I view the "Slingless slingshot," in my inventory, it shows the item name and description of the Gum Base from Cave Story.
- When I mention the Polar Star, we see the graphic item for the fireball.(5)
- When you have a hor/vert trigger that sends you to to another room, it's always better to use the <PRI command instead of the <KEY command.(6) Pixel always used the <PRI command in his game. At the end of chapter 2, I was able to boost far enough off the edge of the map so that I started falling down before it transitioned to the next room.(7)
Overall Score: 7/10 Good. This mod is a funny example of what Noxid encuonters on these forums and how he handles it from members who slightly annoy him, to trolls, to spambots. It was all pretty good for a silly mod.

Improvements:
- When I get to the slums of Herb Village, I get a question mark when I go up to the door from which I came. Maybe you should instead make a message box appear explaining why you can't get back through.(8)
- I'm able to move around while the text box before the resprite of Ballos' second form comes. You'd better put a <KEY or <PRI command there so that it doesn't take the text so long to run.(9)

Other Comments/Concerns:
- The banhammer's description claims that a cat's soul dwells within. When I shoot with level three, it looks more like King than a cat.(10)
- "It's a nice cozy bed. It has no purpose now." LoL!
- "It's locked you dumbasss." Haha!
- I don't think that Noxid would EVER harm a cat. When you defeat Monster X, a cat comes out, suggesting that Noxid hurt a cat. This makes no sense at all.
- I found the Father Spambot a lot easier to beat than Royaltyler.
- The title screen says, "Studio Pixel Presents," and it shows the Doctor taking the Demon Crown from Miakid's skull. Also, the main menu says that it's version 1.0.0.6, and that it was published by Studio Pixel on December, 2004. These are some of the things that indicate an unprofessional mod in my opinion.(1)
*Agrees with Noxid on the Windos Boss* (11)

Um..... (12)

1) Don't give two fucks
2) The main Well, enemies are coming in practically all directions, so we need a weapon that can do that. Besides, most of the mod is just going into the hoards and to just go to it.
3) All of them are accessible without hacking. It's just that some are mor hidden them others. (hint: a blamish appears twice in the spambot stages. hope that helps)
4) I took your avatar (which was in GIF format btw), and reduced it to more than half the size. So yeah you're wrong about me being too lazy to resize your own avatar. also.
5) POLAR BODIES HAYDEN. Besides how would I be able to tie a gun to a fucking polar body.
6) I felt that it was more realistic for it to go off the side rather to just see Noxid freeze in place and have the game fade out.
7) Also, the end of chapter 2 symbolyzes his descent into Hell.
8) I'm preeeetty sure I put a sound in there. Sure, it's not the loudest, but it shows enough.
But if you're bitchy enough about it I'll reconsider.
9) *Puts <KEY in the TSC script*
*Ballos crushes you before the script ends, not to mention does not give you the option to move*
In your case, with the 10 health you have, you would be... what is that? Dead? Yeah, that.
10) Migmas are strange creatures. Sometimes they are rabbits, and sometimes they can induce the player with Weed to think that they are cats.
11) Geez. I already added more weapons. No need to beg me for them
12) Yup. Definately not making any sequels or prequels.

Edit: Hooooooly fuck monkey Jesus a lot of shit happened while I was typing this.
1) Xaser is not a very active CSTSF member, but right now he's doing something with Doom now I guess (DTWID 2 I think)
2) That VM convo was moreso about your April Fool's joke, not both of ours.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
HaydenStudios said:
First things first.

<stuff>

Also, the main menu says that it's version 1.0.0.6, and that it was published by Studio Pixel on December, 2004. These are some of the things that indicate an unprofessional mod in my opinion.

Um.....

diph.php

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Based Member
4) I took your avatar (which was in GIF format btw), and reduced it to more than half the size. So yeah you're wrong about me being too lazy to resize your own avatar.
What I meant was that you didn't take the initiative to touch up on it. Simply resizing it reduced the quality.
5) POLAR BODIES HAYDEN. Besides how would I be able to tie a gun to a fucking polar body.
In all honesty, that looks a lot more like a fire ball than a Polar Body.
8) I'm preeeetty sure I put a sound in there. Sure, it's not the loudest, but it shows enough.
But if you're bitchy enough about it I'll reconsider.
I am of the opinion that you are taking my critiques more harshly than need be. There's really no need to respond to me in the manner you are. If I were you, I would want to tie up any loose ends in a mod of mine I could find, and want people to critique my mod to the point of borderline nitpicking, because there's always room for improvement. And that would consist of making it more obvious that you can't get back through.
9) *Puts <KEY in the TSC script*
*Ballos crushes you before the script ends, not to mention does not give you the option to move*
In your case, with the 10 health you have, you would be... what is that? Dead? Yeah, that.
Then put a <PRI command in. It's really annoying not to be able to fast forward through all of that text, which you can't if there is no <KEY or <PRI command before a text box. I question whether I should even say this, seeing as how you're taking this all so harshly, but it's kindof an unprofessional thing to be able to move around while a text box is going. Just saying.
11) Geez. I already added more weapons. No need to beg me for them
Sorry, if there was a new version released, then I wasn't aware.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
Then put a <PRI command in. It's really annoying not to be able to fast forward through all of that text, which you can't if there is no <KEY or <PRI command before a text box. I question whether I should even say this, seeing as how you're taking this all so harshly, but it's kindof an unprofessional thing to be able to move around while a text box is going. Just saying.
Yeah that boss would TOTALLY be possible if you couldn't restore your health with the whirlwinds before Thor comes down

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:39 AM
Based Member
I fail to understand what that has to do with the inability to fast forward through that text box.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Offensive User
No, there wasn't a new release of a mod. Well, not yet.

Here's a better idea: instead of just listening to your nitpicking, maybe I should just ignore your ideas and just do my mod my way. This is beginning to become a waste of my time and I'm starting to feel that ignoring your suggestions will be the better option.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:49 AM
Based Member
No, there wasn't a new release of a mod. Well, not yet.
So have you, or have you not added the Polar Body and Sperm lauchers yet?

Here's a better idea: instead of just listening to your nitpicking, maybe I should just ignore your ideas and just do my mod my way. This is beginning to become a waste of my time and I'm starting to feel that ignoring your suggestions will be the better option.
A good modder should be begging players to report every little error they find, so you don't have to go hunting for them yourself later on, and so they don't get into the final release.
I'm not even trying to make a mod anymore, but I know better than to tell people off for finding bugs in a mod that I made.
I guess if you're going to consider our feedback a waste of time, and bashing your mod, then I guess it's for the better. That should prevent some major arguments from breaking out, at the expense of optimizing the quality of your mod, of course.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:58 AM
Offensive User
*sigh*

I was talking about your nitpicking. Not anyone else's. You are just nitpicking the tiniest things that I do not need. This mod was done for fun, and it will always stay like that. I never needed your nitpicking to make this mod all "professional" and "masterful." I just wanted the mod to be fun and you are not helping at all.

If you do not stop these shenanigans now (Fuck that. After I hear cultr1's response I will request Noxid to move this shit out) I will need to request to have like 2/3 of this thread to be moved and locked because you just can't stop with this. I am tired of this and I have business more important than telling off some forum member.

Edit: Thank you.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Based Member
I believe you were annoyed ad MagicDoors' feedback as well. Anyway, I think that if this thread is going to be split, then maybe it should be put in the General discussion. Oh, also, if you would have simply said something like, "Stop posting in this thread," then I would have stopped.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:40 AM
Offensive User
Well at least LunarSoul wasn't being a bitch about it (something he should be VERY proud of)

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:49 AM
Based Member
Touchy.

Honestly, anything and everything I say in a review on a development thread is a mere suggestion. It's not like I'm petitioning you to change it or something. And do you really think that I was complaining? Again, if you had just said "Stop." Then I would have stopped.

EDIT:
Well at least LunarSoul wasn't being a bitch about it (something he should be VERY proud of)
MagicDoors said:
Okay, so I guess I'll stop helping you out, since apparently it's so wrong to point out even the tiniest flaws that can make your mod more professional.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I dunno, I think it was obvious that this mod is a total joke, and that criticism short of game breaking bugs is unnecessary. If I'm wrong, then I think you actually had the right idea. It's more likely than not however that the shittiness of this mod is 100% intentional.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
It figures that all of this pent-up seriousness would get heaped onto a not-serious mod all at once :critter:

This is my advice, for everyone: If you're going offer feedback, try to show a little tact and make sure that it will actually be helpful to whatever it is you're backfeeding. Just throwing up a number and some overly-personal comments isn't going to mean a lot to most people. The mods section isn't a contest, and I really don't want this to turn into a fad.

Status
Not open for further replies.