Haunted House Story - Reinforced - version 0.7

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hello!
To my surprise, this mod... is still alive. It's like it's haunting me. Bad jokes aside, it may get finished.

The mod tells the story of Redgon Hash - a young adventurer who tries to explore the old haunted house and find the hidden treasure, and about his family, who also went to the house to help him. Of course things are not easy - the house is a really dangerous place. Will he succeed?

Download links:

doukutsu club page

Older links:
0.601 (fixed a level-up system bug)
0.602 (fixed a script softlock in segment III)
0.603 (minor script fixes)
0.604 (Ghost events fix)
0.5 (beta?)
0.301 (spider hall sort-of-a-fix)
0.3 (Dropbox)
0.2 (Dropbox)
0.1b (skull fix)
0.1 (Dropbox) (Mediafire)

Interesting stuff you'll find in the mod:
- experience, stats and level-up system
- cool weapons
- ladders [!]
- fresh enemies
- fresh bosses
- better player animation
- dialogue options
- a flamethrower
- Barry
- a lot of other things; find them out yourself

Screenshots:
test_HHOiGCNSY1.png
test_7fe0GrZrb6.png
test_WJWVf8JlRc.png
test_KQ6zukeyhz.png
test_YB6k4NNwKP.png

Well, what can I say? Enjoy! ( :

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
just for you

les do dis
---
mixer8421
that's
that's not randlolf
how did this happen

p189699-0-91cdb443ec.png
BEHOLD
THE MONODO'S POWER

p189699-1-a60f8efb89.png
bARA

p189699-2-dae87e3801.png
no bara 3:>

p189699-3-ck1kifl.gif
looks weird 3:

p189699-4-6c35ce0ef3.png
huh

seems too hard during the boss fight. 10 HP with projectiles doing five DMG? no thanke
--
don

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:16 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well, what can I say? Enjoy! :)
...and enjoy I did.
I haven't played the older HHs, so I can't really say how it has improved, but what's here at the moment is pretty good.
Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting the ghost to flash in and out after entering the front door, and I even jumped when it happened a SECOND time.
So it's gonna be one of THOSE...
Also before I forget, I may as well point out something weird I noticed. When you enter another map and there are ghosts on the screen, they quickly fall to the ground for a split second before hovering like they should.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:19 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I feel more upset than I should.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:33 PM
hi hi
just for you

les do dis
---
mixer8421
that's
that's not randlolf
how did this happen

p189699-0-91cdb443ec.png
BEHOLD
THE MONODO'S POWER

p189699-1-a60f8efb89.png
bARA

p189699-2-dae87e3801.png
no bara 3:>

p189699-3-ck1kifl.gif
looks weird 3:

p189699-4-6c35ce0ef3.png
huh

seems too hard during the boss fight. 10 HP with projectiles doing five DMG? no thanke
--
don
Uh, sorry, I messed up and forgot to do the intro. xD I'll fix that.
Ignore the title screen until I come up with something better. :p
I guess I could add a special player animation for sword. Maybe.
I need to fix these darned <MS3 textboxes. D:

Well, as for the boss...
When he charges, try walking back a bit and you should be able to destroy his projectiles. It may take you a few times, but it's really easy.

Thanks for the feedback. :3

...and enjoy I did.
I haven't played the older HHs, so I can't really say how it has improved, but what's here at the moment is pretty good.
Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting the ghost to flash in and out after entering the front door, and I even jumped when it happened a SECOND time.
So it's gonna be one of THOSE...
Also before I forget, I may as well point out something weird I noticed. When you enter another map and there are ghosts on the screen, they quickly fall to the ground for a split second before hovering like they should.
Do NOT play the old HHs. It's not worth it. :D
Maybe the mod is not going to be really creepy (Bombchu I should smack you for your DoR2 and that flippin' demon Sonic), but I'll try to add something to add to the mood. Yay, it worked. ^^
The ghosts are kinda intended to do that. I don't think that's really a problem... but is it?

Thanks for playing!

I feel more upset than I should.
What's wrong, Doors?

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Professional Whatever
I assume you knew.
You know, the hack that looks remarkably similar to the one I just released.
I know I don't have a claim on it or anything though.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:49 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
you mean you're saying you made the <FAC image hack where the face is larger than a normal face pic and it looks like something from an RPG?
like you made it yourself?

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I don't think that's really a problem... but is it?
Nah, it's not really much of a problem.
Gotta hate love jumpscares

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Professional Whatever
Like I said my upset is unfounded
Gotta love those "coincidences" though

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:49 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The skulls are a bit to fight, with them jumping, it's hard to to land a hit without being hit yourself. Try making the hitbox smaller for the bottom and front sides.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:44 AM
hi hi
Bionicobot said:
The skulls are a bit to fight, with them jumping, it's hard to to land a hit without being hit yourself. Try making the hitbox smaller for the bottom and front sides.
Okay, I'll make them a bit easier. I just wanted them to be hard to kill (at level 1 only...) while still making them destroyable without damage.
Will fix.

E: I'll probably make them jump a bit higher,,, because they originally jumped a lot higher, making them extremely easy to kill.

Update: made the skulls easier.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:04 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Whoa whoa whoa, Dianke was a beta tester?! =o
As in, the same Dia who's a global moderator of the Vresun forums and working on her first mod?

Anyway...
  • The stats, as well as the XP and LV, are simply amazing. =D
  • The facepics are equally amazing; to be honest I half-expected it to be animated, though... :o
  • That moon outside is rather detailed. =o
  • The songs are neat~
  • The falling chandeliers are pretty neat. =)
  • The battle theme of the first boss sounds like a remix of the original Haunted House Story's boss theme.
  • I was actually startled when I saw a painting/picture of the ghost boss above a door and, later on, a picture/painting of a golden medallion. =o
  • Those cobwebs are actually interesting, I didn't think they'd actually slow one down; they must be rather strong if a sword can't cut through them though. =o
STATS AT THE END OF DEMO 0.1A:
Attack: 3
Defense: 5
XP: 38
LV: 2
HP: 13

I do have a question, though - will the Summoner appear in future versions?

All in all, a great mod. =)
I'll rate it 10/10.

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM
hi hi
Kim Tyranto said:
Whoa whoa whoa, Dianke was a beta tester?! =o
As in, the same Dia who's a global moderator of the Vresun forums and working on her first mod?

Anyway...
  • The stats, as well as the XP and LV, are simply amazing. =D
  • The facepics are equally amazing; to be honest I half-expected it to be animated, though... :o
  • That moon outside is rather detailed. =o
  • The songs are neat~
  • The falling chandeliers are pretty neat. =)
  • The battle theme of the first boss sounds like a remix of the original Haunted House Story's boss theme.
  • I was actually startled when I saw a painting/picture of the ghost boss above a door and, later on, a picture/painting of a golden medallion. =o
  • Those cobwebs are actually interesting, I didn't think they'd actually slow one down; they must be rather strong if a sword can't cut through them though. =o
STATS AT THE END OF DEMO 0.1A:
Attack: 3
Defense: 5
XP: 38
LV: 2
HP: 13

I do have a question, though - will the Summoner appear in future versions?

All in all, a great mod. =)
I'll rate it 10/10.
Yup. Dia was a beta tester. Surprising, eh? :D

Anyway:
  • I guess they are. Thanks.
  • Facepics... well, they might be animated in future... who knows?
  • The moon was some generic image I found somewhere. xD Never mind. :p
  • Thanks.
  • Thanks again.
  • The battle theme is a remix of the old one, in fact. :p
  • Why did the pictures startle you? They are only there to give a clue on where you should go next.
  • I should make them destroyable with the sword, I guess. I was just too busy with finishing the mod to actually work on this, though. Maybe I'll add this.

Oh, you had very poor attack stat. xD You must have got only 1 attack point on level-up. :p Bad luck.

As for the Summoner...
What would be HHs without him? :D
Yeah, you can expect the guy to appear. ;)

Thank you for feedback. :3

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
(For whatever reason the post got mangled with the default quoting of the forums; I'm quoting the post differently instead)

Randolf: "Yup. Dia was a beta tester. Surprising, eh? :D "

Very.

Randolf: "Anyway:
  • I guess they are. Thanks.
  • Facepics... well, they might be animated in future... who knows?
  • The moon was some generic image I found somewhere. xD Never mind. :p
  • Thanks.
  • Thanks again.
  • The battle theme is a remix of the old one, in fact. :p
  • Why did the pictures startle you? They are only there to give a clue on where you should go next.
  • I should make them destroyable with the sword, I guess. I was just too busy with finishing the mod to actually work on this, though. Maybe I'll add this.
Oh, you had very poor attack stat. xD You must have got only 1 attack point on level-up. :p Bad luck.

As for the Summoner...
What would be HHs without him? :D
Yeah, you can expect the guy to appear. ;)

Thank you for feedback. :3
"

The pictures startled me because they weren't there the last time I was in that room XD

Also, it seems I didn't get an attack point on levelling up; I gained two attack points when defeating the first boss but when I leveled up I didn't get any attack points. :o
Is that a bug?

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hey Randolf, nice work on the demo ;D

The music in this mod is very catchy. Love it.
And I really do like the hacks you've created with this, as I mentioned before...

I however do not believe the experience system fits the mod's style so far, imo (...yet at least). It just doesn't feel like a mod where I'm going to spend time grinding to continue... ...But, I do love your implementation of the system... Hmm.......
Maybe as the mod grows, I will change my tune~

That spiderweb stuff is a nice touch btw. Could use maybe a better repetition graphic, but it was a great effect...
I was hoping you'd place one of those hopping tossers in an inconvenient place though (waiting at the end of a spider web), forcing the player to switch to the G-Gun to get past that part. I ended up using the blade for everything since it's more efficient and damaging.

... I was a little puzzled about having the ghost portrait appear above the door later on, but never meeting the ghost again in that new section. I was really looking forward to a rematch with that ghost ;D That was a nice visual indicator of showing where to go... Kudos on that.

Also I wish the necklace was placed in a different spot myself. Unless there's a reason it's on that roof where you come out... Would have been more interesting if you had to kill all the enemies in the area, and then it drops, or something more... puzzlish or something... But, up to you~

And you already know the rest of my thoughts ;D Nice work with the additions ;D
Great Halloween theme release 2014!!!!!

Spoiler question for others at the start of the game
How fast people do you realize that you need to bounce on the ghost to reach the roof section... Just wondering.

EDIT:
Just wanted to say wow again. It really is like playing a classic video game.
I like it...

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM
hi hi
Hey X-Calibar :D

Thanks for the opinion on music. I'm glad it turned out to be good (at last!).

About the experience system...
Well, maybe it doesn't really fit into the general "haunted house" theme, but isn't it nice to be able to develop your character as you progress through the game? I don't really think I should remove it. Anyway, we'll see what happens. ^^

Spiderwebs were made out of boredom xD I'm glad they were received well. Graphics are 2/10 could be worse. :p I think I should change them.
And sword is generally more damaging and it's a better weapon, but it's not always so useful. That's why G-Gun is needed. :3

You say the ghost doesn't appear later? When you jump to the door in the Basement, it appear for a moment again, like the first time; there is no other fight, though. Yet.

And thanks; I thought it was the best idea to put pictures as clues.
Oh, did you know that:
If you don't spot the ghost for the first time in the house but go straight to the boss room fight, there's only a picture of him above the fireplace and there's no boss fight until you see him?

It was probably the best time to release a mod with such theme, eh? :D

You don't really have to use a ghost to get to the roof. Just "talk" to the sign twice and you'll get a block to jump on the roof, and 10 XP for discovering a secret. ;)

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the mod ~