Has anyone here played Legend of Mana?

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:52 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Its a PSX game. I've played a good amount (most of?) It a month or two ago. I gotta get back to it myself. I remember thinking its the type of game that typically ends up being a favorite for me and I can see it sticking the landing.

Unlike the other Mana games a lot of peeps are familiar with it's more of a 2d beat em up style in combat.

It's also very unique in a lot other ways, none of them even in a way that's similar to the other Mana games. Rather than having one long narrative it has several as well as many more vignette style stories throughout the game, and you take part in them more as a stranger/bystander that gets involved with other people's adventures/lives and fights things while offering silent support.

It's also got beautiful pixel art (probs some of the best for the time) and an interesting and weird storybook inspired artstyle and world where things like teapot people, onion headed kids, and incidentally plant racist greedy rabbit people can interact and it's no big deal.

The system for unlocking different playstyles and moves for your char (including the ones for the sickass fucking dedicated wrestling playstyle) is also pretty interesting and unique and involves a ludicrously in depth crafting system you WIIL need guides for. You can also build robots to fight for you for some reason?

You also create and freely wander the world where all these random events take place and you make it out of random garbage and toys.

And if the random story aspect doesn't sound interesting there are three dedicated story lines with really interesting and in depth narratives and characters one or all of which you need to complete to finish the game.

Its a PSX game. I've played a good amount (most of?) It a month or two ago. I gotta get back to it myself. I remember thinking its the type of game that typically ends up being a favorite for me and I can see it sticking the landing.

Unlike the other Mana games a lot of peeps are familiar with it's more of a 2d beat em up style in combat.

It's also very unique in a lot other ways, none of them even in a way that's similar to the other Mana games. Rather than having one long narrative it has several as well as many more vignette style stories throughout the game, and you take part in them more as a stranger/bystander that gets involved with other people's adventures/lives and fights things while offering silent support.

It's also got beautiful pixel art (probs some of the best for the time) and an interesting and weird storybook inspired artstyle and world where things like teapot people, onion headed kids, and incidentally plant racist greedy rabbit people can interact and it's no big deal.

The system for unlocking different playstyles and moves for your char (including the ones for the sickass fucking dedicated wrestling playstyle) is also pretty interesting and unique and involves a ludicrously in depth crafting system you WIIL need guides for. You can also build robots to fight for you for some reason?

You also create and freely wander the world where all these random events take place and you make it out of random garbage and toys.

And if the random story aspect doesn't sound interesting there are three dedicated story lines with really interesting and in depth narratives and characters one or all of which you need to complete to finish the game.

If one of the main things you like abt CS is wandering an absurd and weird world with an in depth but enchanting world with characters to match and some actually pretty dark story than it might scratch a similar itch. It was for me which is why I'm thinking about going back and finishing it and why I'm posting abt it now. It even comes complete with a pretty cute stoic boy protag (or girl if you prefer).

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:33 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"

There's a remaster coming this summer

There's a remaster coming this summer

Mar 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I've never played that game yet. Are the mana series games worth playing today?

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:39 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I've never played that game yet. Are the mana series games worth playing today?
Well, if you include ALL mana games: for instance Seiken Densetsu 3 for SNES emu or Collections of Mana on Switch. I recommend one of those with a friend for its multiplayer.

If you want to play it solo though, I've read good things about its remake, Trials of Mana. It's only singleplayer sadly, but it looks good.
Shouldn't need to play any other Mana game before it.
I've also played the previous game, Secret of Mana, and it's decent... But, overall preferred 3.

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I love the look of Legend of Mana and am genuinely interested in playing the HD port when it comes out. I don't know what to expect but from what I saw, I thought it looked amazing.

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:04 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm still yet to play anything else that fully captures the fantasy storybook feel that this game has. On top of the style, it carries so many overarching storylines and distinct characters, and manages to keep the progress fairly smooth due to how the world opens up. There's no rush and there's always something to do. It basically came out of nowhere in the series and as long as someone can stomach the janky/repetitive combat there's nothing else quite like it.

I wonder if they'll add or change anything in the remaster, the SaGa Frontier one is supposedly getting some extra unfinished content added in finally.