Guiness Book of World Records 2010 - Gamer's Edition

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, I learned about this a few weeks ago, and decided to pick up a copy of the book for myself to verify. Take a look at this picture, Page 96.

diph.php

This is the full page.

Notice anything? BESIDES LittleBigPlanet? No? Let's zoom up on the chart in the bottom-left, shall we?

diph.php

...If you haven't noticed it yet, look at number 4! :o

That's right. Pixel's in the Guiness Book of World Records 2010 - Gamer Edition, for Cave Story. There are no pictures of the game, unfortunately, but there IS a small description of the game. Here it is, scanned straight out of the book:

diph.php

...Yep. You see it. "Most Critically Acclaimed Free Game".

Discuss.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I want this book

Epic. [/enddiscussion]

But really, I find it a little cruel that Cave Story seems to keep getting more and more fame, but I've still yet to meet anyone off the forums or the blog or other obvious Cave Story places that even knows about the game. {And I wear that shirt around all the time :o}
Cave Story so deserves a much bigger fanbase.... {Hopefull the Wii-release will fix that}

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Been here way too long...
small fanbase = small forums = less obnoxious people on the forums.
but yes, it's absurd how many people haven't heard of it.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Re: I want this book

VoidMage_Lowell said:

But really, I find it a little cruel that Cave Story seems to keep getting more and more fame, but I've still yet to meet anyone off the forums or the blog or other obvious Cave Story places that even knows about the game. {And I wear that shirt around all the time :o}
Cave Story so deserves a much bigger fanbase.... {Hopefull the Wii-release will fix that}

I agree. I've managed to find ONE person who was willing to TRY the game, and another who is interested in the Wii version...

That shirt looks awesome, btw.

EDIT: @Lace:

TRUE.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:02 AM
/end
Lace said:
small fanbase = small forums = less obnoxious people on the forums.

Not really. It's not like they would all come to this forum.

After Cave Story Wii is released all the new people will most likely go to the home forum of Cave Story Wii.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I think tyrone might make a link to here if he gets enough traffic on the nicalis forums.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:59 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Re: I want this book

igotsthepower9000 said:
I've managed to find ONE person who was willing to TRY the game, and another who is interested in the Wii version...

Really? I find that strange... since most of my friends have played Cavestory (that, and they were the ones who told me about it).

Or maybe because I know a lot of people who are gaming nerds/fans.

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:26 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Eh... I thought this game would be more popular in other circles.

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM
"Huzzah!"
EPIC!!! I APPROVE OF THAT BOOK NOW! (I saw it the other day actually, and was afraid that CS WASNT in it =D )

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:41 PM
Guys, this is great. Guiness thinks Cave Story is the fourth best 2D platformer ever. But did anyone bother looking at what's under Cave Story? As fun as CS is, it's NOT better than Super Mario Bros. 3. IT'S SUPER MARIO BROS. 3, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE. And, AND, they put LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario Bros. 1 above it. **** you in the *** with a *********, Guiness, everyone knows SMB 3 was better, and LittleBigPlanet IS NOT THE SECOND BEST PLATFORMER OF ALL TIME. I might consider putting it on that list if Sony paid me.
Whew, sorry for the caps, but this is making me ang— asstitties, they put The New Super Mario Bros. on there?!? AND NO METROID?

...So, I guess it's nice that the GWR people like Cave Story so much, but it doesn't mean much to me considering their ranking of the other games.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Now we're all going to make {more of} our own top ten's...

Meh, it's all a matter of perspective.
Personally, I disliked SMB3, a lot, and would rank SMW over that any day.
{Probably rank CS over it, too :(}
As for SMB1 being in first, you probably should read this to understand why:
Wikipedia said:
For over two decades, Super Mario Bros. was the best-selling video game of all time, before being outsold by Wii Sports in 2009.[1] Excluding Game Boy Advance and Virtual Console sales, the game has sold 40.241 million copies worldwide. It was largely responsible for the initial success of the Nintendo Entertainment System, as well as ending the two year slump of video game sales in the United States after the video game crash of 1983. As one of Shigeru Miyamoto's most influential early successes, it has inspired many clones, sequels, and spin-offs. Its theme music by Koji Kondo is recognized worldwide, even by those who have not played the game, and has been considered a representation for video game music in general.[2]
That's an easy win, to me.
Also, LittleBigPlanet was ranked third, under Sonic the Hegdehog 2 {Not going to bother to look that one up, you can try :)}, most likely because of it's massive customization, allowing thousands upon thousands of new content to be created by everyone, blah blah blah...
I doubt the ranking was judged just upon such things as "Which one's more funner!?!", they probably included some other things besides gameplay {See SMB1's explanation}, but it's still all just a matter of perspective.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Just tried Megaman 3 to see if it really was better than Megaman 2. Hard Man beat me within an inch of my life, but I managed to get the final blow and he exploded all over the screen. I think the graphics are a bit nicer, and it's got that sliding on the ground thing, but other than that it's just like #2, or any other megaman game for that matter.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Also, the ranking wasn't on "best" either. It was on "you should play", so Guinness doesn't really need any solid ranking system.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Noxid said:
Hard Man beat me within an inch of my life, but I managed to get the final blow and he exploded all over the screen.
I love you.

Anyway, I'm going to let the whole "SMB 3 is worse than SMB 1" thing slide, because it's not important. What is important is that Metroid is not up there and The New Super Mario Bros. is. That game was just SMB 3 with 2.5 graphics!
And I'm assuming "You should play this game" means "This game is fun," not "This game has pretty graphics" or "I loved this game in my youth." Why else would you want to play a game, if not for fun-tertainment value? Unless you're a snobby critic, in which case you're not going to listen to this list anyway.

The point is, Metroid deserves to be on this list.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:24 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
10 is not enough

Captain Fabulous said:
Why else would you want to play a game, if not for fun-tertainment value?
Probably for a variety of reasons, such as experiencing major milestone games, or playing that one game that made a company so famous.
Captain Fabulous said:
What is important is that Metroid is not up there and The New Super Mario Bros. is. That game was just SMB 3 with 2.5 graphics!
I wonder a bit myself why it's not there, and why they included New Super Mario Bros., too.
Maybe Metroid was Not-even-funny-11th place?

Did the book ever explain their reasons for the listings in detail?

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:37 AM
Captain Fabulous said:
The point is, Metroid deserves to be on this list.

Main text: Page 187:

"This year's Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition Top 50 has been chosen by you, our readers. Between January and August 2009, over 13,000 of you visited our website to tell us about your favorite games, and we used your votes to compile this list of the 50 best videogames ever. As the title suggests, this isn't a list of individual games, but rather a list of the top series, including all entries and spin-offs, and serves as a snapshot of the biggest names in gaming in 2010."
Let's see the entire list...

50: Pro Evolution Soccer
49: Crash Bandicoot
48: Burnout
47: Mario Kart
46: Lego Batman
45: Diablo
44: Battlefield
43: Star Wars: Battlefront
42: Tom Clancy's
41: Pong
40: Ratchet & Clank
39: Starcraft
38: Gran Turismo
37: Chrono Trigger
36: Need for Speed
35: Left 4 Dead
34: Skate
33: Killzone
32: Bioshock
31: Goldeneye 007
30: God of War
29: The Elder Scrolls
28: Saints Row
27: LittleBigPlanet
26: Rock Band
25: WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw
24: Tomb Raider
23: The Sims
22: Madden NFL
21: Pac-Man
20: Final Fantasy
19: Kingdom Hearts
18: FIFA
17: Runescape
16: Counter-Strike
15: Sonic the Hedgehog
14: Half-Life
13: Fallout
12: Resident Evil
11: Pokemon
10: Grand Theft Auto
9: Super Smash Bros.
8: Gears of War
7: World of Warcraft
6: Super Mario Bros.
5: Metal Gear
4: Guitar Hero
3: The Legend of Zelda
2: Call of Duty
1: Halo

--

...this suprised me too. Guess what ISN'T ON THIS LIST?!

EDIT:
VoidMage_Lowell said:

Did the book ever explain their reasons for the listings in detail?

No, it did not. It has rewards for some of those games, as well as series, such as Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Doukutsu Monogatari, a speed-run record holder, Super Mario Bros., Castlevania (Winning most entries in an action-adventure series), and as you saw, LittleBigPlanet. The chart itself seems like an afterthought to me.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
13000 is a ridiculously small sample size. Obviously Halo isn't the best video game ever, it just has the largest fanbase. And "Pro Evolution Soccer"? I don't think sports games count as video games any more than grape Kool-Aid counts as wine. But, that's just one person's opinion.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
What's all this?

I lol'd when I saw Halo at the top of the list....
Now what's Captain going to say with Metroid not even on the top 50?
But, hey, Starcraft made it!
Noxid said:
13000 is a ridiculously small sample size. Obviously Halo isn't the best video game ever, it just has the largest fanbase. And "Pro Evolution Soccer"? I don't think sports games count as video games any more than grape Kool-Aid counts as wine. But, that's just one person's opinion.
Couldn't agree more.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:22 AM
Re: What's all this?

Those are all great franchises, except those sports games. This is a list of game popularity, not necessarily quality, hence Halo and Call of Duty topping the list. I was impressed to see Zelda at number three. At least some people who read the book know what an actually good video game is.
I lol'd pretty hard when I saw Runescape at #17. That's a stupid game, and I'm not afraid of offending anyone by saying that, because if you take offense to that you can shut your mouth and GTFO my forums.
I have few problems with this list, aside from those stated, and that Metroid isn't list. Anyone who tries to convince me that Metroid Prime is worse than WWE Smackdown vs. RAW should have their electricity cut. Oh, and Guitar Hero beat Rock Band. I don't understand how that's possible, would someone please explain this to me?
Also, Super Mario Bros. is on there twice, #6 and #9. Maybe the second one was supposed to be Metroid, but they were too busy sucking off Nintendo to notice.