[GUIDE]Running CaveStory on Android

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:56 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hey, this might of been posted before, but just in case, I thought I would post it. I have been looking how to do this for a while, and I figured out a relatively easy way. Ok here goes...

Step 1: Download RetroArch on the Play Store.
Step 2: Download Libretro NXEngine port. Link HERE You will need to download the data folder and Doukutsu.exe and add them to your phone.
Step 3: Open RetroArch. Click Cavestory/NXEngine.
Step 4: It will open up a file browser. Navigate to the file where you keep BOTH the data and exe files.
Step 5: Click the Doukutsu.exe file.
Step 6: HAVE FUN. It will open up onscreen controls, but I HEAVILY recommend using a gamepad.
Feel free to ask ANY questions you may have. Please be aware I did not make this. Who did? I don't flippin know.
Thanks for reading!

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
There's actually two more ways I know of.
1. Download PPSSPP on the Play Store
2. Download the PSP port of Cave Story.
3. Unzip the file with a file browser such as 7Zipper, which is free on the Play Store.
4. Open PPSSPP, hit load, go to the folder you downloaded it to (probably called "Download")
5. Hope you don't get extremely annoying screen flickering that makes it unplayable like it does on an HTC Incredible.

Alternatively.....
You can use this.
http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=443.0
I haven't actually tried this though. I don't know if its fully playable but I do know that you need a gamepad to play it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:08 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Thatnamelessguy said:
There's actually two more ways I know of.
1. Download PPSSPP on the Play Store
2. Download the PSP port of Cave Story.
3. Unzip the file with a file browser such as 7Zipper, which is free on the Play Store.
4. Open PPSSPP, hit load, go to the folder you downloaded it to (probably called "Download")
5. Hope you don't get extremely annoying screen flickering that makes it unplayable like it does on an HTC Incredible.

Alternatively.....
You can use this.
http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=443.0
I haven't actually tried this though. I don't know if its fully playable but I do know that you need a gamepad to play it.

I am hoping your aren't the sixth alt of the core.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:25 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What
He actually gave legitimate info why would he be a spammy formerum member

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
fadoink said:
I am hoping your aren't the sixth alt of the core.
You can't throw accusations on people you don't even know...

To my knowledge, "the core" wasn't pushing out anything android related, he was pushing out a PC engine that mimics cave story...

It is very unlikely that there is any relation...

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:47 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Whoops.. Sorry Nameless..

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Spent hours trying to get cave story to run on my tablet; no luck. I have found an easy way to download and play the full game on android. First, download PPSSPP. Next, download the homebrew version for PSP at pocket gamer.co.UK. The file will read cavestory-psp-rc1.zip. Go into your zip file program ( I use Androzip) and find the file under downloads. Click on file, press extract to, click on the file up on the right side of the page until you are able to access the PSP folder. Click on PSP, then games, and once the game folder for games opens, click the extract here button at the top right of the page, extracting the cave story zip under the game folder. Exit and open PPSSPP. Hit load at the top eight corner of the screen to access the file. My file path is /storage/sdcard0/PSP/GAME/cave story. Onc e there, click on the file that says EBOOT.PBP. Cave Story will open and play. I had some flickering on the screen that I was able to fix by going into the PPSSPP graphics controls and enabling buffered rendering. The game plays smoothly and is phenomenal. I know this was a little long winded, but spent too much time screwing aroung with this to have other people suffer. I hope you enjoy the game!!!

By the way, the version of cave story mentioned above is freeware emulated be this guy with full permission from Pixel, so there should be no problem with putting the link name and file name in the above.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:56 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I know that but I prefer to use NX Engine though.\

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:16 PM
"Huzzah!"
Is there anyway you can get mods to run on Nx engine