GrottoStory (online 3D CaveStory|rework of WebGLCS) Help needed

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:42 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"

Introduction
This is a project based on my previous beloved project "WebGLCS"

What I look for
- better graphics for the GUI
- people who would like to rebuild CaveStory levels in MagicaVoxel (i will give further about this soon)

Screenshots
p363830-0-bqrumdl.gif

older screenshots of the same scene:
p363830-1-yyh6uti.gif

p363830-2-0ngu41r.gif

p358227-3-ysmkkau.png
(old picture of WEBGLCS)
p363830-4-ttvormr.png

(Login menu of GrottoStory)
p363830-5-malskbj.png

(current home menu. Here you will see info about your account, a single player option, multiplayer server list, etc)
Any further ideas are very welcome

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
THIS look good(love this lightning effect :3) but make some changes to the new graphics or replace them ‘cause it’s pretty much not autorised to do that :/

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It looks pretty good so far. I'm not really a fan of taking 2d games and making replacing the sprites with 3d models, but this looks way better than what normally happens when people try to do something like this

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I would probably love to make a PXM to WebGLCS converter.

I also found a bug, if a player joins then another does, the first player can't see the second player.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM
It look pretty good so far. I'm not really a fan of taking 2d games and making replacing the sprites with 3d models, but this looks way better than what normally happens when people try to do something like this
Well, this is why I am still not sure if I may just choose a look closer to the geobox engine:

I also found a bug, if a player joins then another does, the first player can't see the second player.
thank you a lot :) Well, these are some old bugs in the old version of WebGLCS, I will fix them with this rework, but I cannot give an exact estimate so far

talking about PXM, maybe you could give me some more information about these files? Aren't those the files from the original cave story? Well, I will most likely also work on that. Maybe someone already created a documentation about how these files are strucktured

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:48 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but considering how 3d has 'more information' than 2d, isn't this technically impossible? For a computer to do, I mean. Wouldn't you need a human with creative ability to fill in the blanks?

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:54 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but considering how 3d has 'more information' than 2d, isn't this technically impossible? For a computer to do, I mean. Wouldn't you need a human with creative ability to fill in the blanks?
Cave Story has background & foreground tile properties.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:16 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'd recommend against using things like magicavoxel, and instead, just make it properly 2D not unlike the original, you will be saving yourself alot of stress in the long run this way.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:30 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'd recommend against using things like magicavoxel, and instead, just make it properly 2D not unlike the original, you will be saving yourself alot of stress in the long run this way.
Why not 2.5D? 2.5D would be pretty interesting.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:47 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Why not 2.5D? 2.5D would be pretty interesting.
That is his current goal, but it would not be wise at this stage, I'd rather see it completed in 2D FIRST before anything else.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
That is his current goal, but it would not be wise at this stage, I'd rather see it completed in 2D FIRST before anything else.
That would require redoing the entire engine twice. the game also almost fully works. It is also done in three.js, a 3D WebGL engine.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:04 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Hey, just to let you know. It's illegal to use the sprites from CS+ like that. Maybe use the original one's instead. Not trying to be rude or anything, just wanted to tell you.

Apr 30, 2018 at 9:04 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Hey, just to let you know. It's illegal to use the sprites from CS+ like that. Maybe use the original one's instead. Not trying to be rude or anything, just wanted to tell you.
I think he is going to remove them when he makes the new version public.

May 1, 2018 at 7:23 PM
Exactly. This is the biggest hurdle there is for me currently.
so far, there seem to be 3 sensible solutions to this problem (as far as I see):
1. create a 2d game that uses 3D technology like lighting and lense flares. Also use different 2d layers that have a different depth.
This is what I currently try to achieve and you can see something simmilar to that in the geobox-engine video. (notice the lighting as well as the trees in the foreground)
2. create a fully 3d game and create new textures for all the sides of every tile in the game. Also, in order to fully make use of this technology all maps would need to be re-written, so that they can make use of tiles places at different z positions. (you can observe this in my previous "WebGLCS" project. There I used minecraft textures as place holders though: https://www.cavestory.org/forums/th...le-multiplayer-cavestory-inspired-game.13930/ Especially look at the screenshots and videos)
3. create full 3d models for each level alongside a collision file. The level model would be used only to display the world, while the collision file would tell the game where you could stand on and what not. This would be the fanciest option but comes at the cost of good 3d modeling scills (which I do not have :p, and probably most other users also do not have). Also, this would kinda go against my idea of user created levels. Because tilemaps are much easier to edit than 3d models. This is kinda like how CaveStory3D for the 3DS works

so, these are the three options. The underlined words are how the game would most likely end up looking if I take this route.
for now, #1 seems to be the easiest though. Also, #1 can even be expanded later on to look like #2 (more 3d like)

May 1, 2018 at 7:27 PM
Pointless double post
exactly, this is also what I currently strive for.
But we will see how exactly it will end up looking. Maybe I will add some add-on, which will render the levels in a more 3d style later on though.
That would require redoing the entire engine twice. the game also almost fully works. It is also done in three.js, a 3D WebGL engine.
Yes, exactly :) You seem to know a little about three.js. If you like, I could share my code later on.