Grotto Fable v1.5.1 (Last updated 3/06/2019)

Should I keep updating this mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:38 PM
Org Discord Admin
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hello. Just played through your mod, and wanted to review it.

I get that it's your first mod, and it's mostly experimental...? If that's the case, you did well. (If not, I apologize)

To be honest, this is pretty much "Cave Story but different". Not that it means it's automatically bad. But that's neither here nor there.
From what I noticed, there weren't a lot of changes, even though you probably designed Grotto Fable as a funny parody. Maybe I've skipped something very important by not talking to pots enough, or something. (If that's true, I apologize.)

The script is pretty dry. Yes, you already stated that the dialogue is mostly unchanged, but I don't think it fits a parody. There were jokes in the beginning and the end, and smaller ones in the middle, but everything else is still boringly in place.

The combat system has become less balanced. A Pistol dealing 10 damage per hit with limited bullets is okay, but there aren't enough refill stations to make the weapon usable. This is very noticeable when you start delivering puppies to Jenka. Sure, there are other weapons, but if I didn't use an AK-47, a Polar Star (or a Pistol with proper refills, in this case) would be just the best weapon in that part of the game (and I don't think making the player backtrack to refill stations far away is fun. Or making the player rely on Bubble Gun. Isn't Bubble Gun supposed to be an extra?).
Also, the Nuke gets regular upgrades. That means you get 11 nukes max at the Balcony and 35 max when approaching Ballos. 6 nukes are enough to kill Ballos. I tried that.

I do think giving the player Whimsical Star early in the game is good. The Life Capsules are generous enough, too.

1)Comic Sans makes things even worse than you'd think
p363281-0-n7vjby.png

2)If you die in the First cave, you won't be able to move left or right. This bug disappears when you restart, though.

3)Sand Box Zone has no background. Or it has black background.

4)ArmBar's description cuts off suddenly.

5)LazerGun is the best. Weapon. Ever.
Thank you for 120 damage per second.

6)Holy molly, BasketBallos
p363281-1-q28pso.png

7)Good space physics, but...
p363281-2-6m5crt.png

8)The credits crash. Something's either wrong with my computer, or your code...

Overall, an update would be great, but this is not bad, for a first mod.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:45 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hello. Just played through your mod, and wanted to review it.

I get that it's your first mod, and it's mostly experimental...? If that's the case, you did well. (If not, I apologize)

To be honest, this is pretty much "Cave Story but different". Not that it means it's automatically bad. But that's neither here nor there.
From what I noticed, there weren't a lot of changes, even though you probably designed Grotto Fable as a funny parody. Maybe I've skipped something very important by not talking to pots enough, or something. (If that's true, I apologize.)

The script is pretty dry. Yes, you already stated that the dialogue is mostly unchanged, but I don't think it fits a parody. There were jokes in the beginning and the end, and smaller ones in the middle, but everything else is still boringly in place.

The combat system has become less balanced. A Pistol dealing 10 damage per hit with limited bullets is okay, but there aren't enough refill stations to make the weapon usable. This is very noticeable when you start delivering puppies to Jenka. Sure, there are other weapons, but if I didn't use an AK-47, a Polar Star (or a Pistol with proper refills, in this case) would be just the best weapon in that part of the game (and I don't think making the player backtrack to refill stations far away is fun. Or making the player rely on Bubble Gun. Isn't Bubble Gun supposed to be an extra?).
Also, the Nuke gets regular upgrades. That means you get 11 nukes max at the Balcony and 35 max when approaching Ballos. 6 nukes are enough to kill Ballos. I tried that.

I do think giving the player Whimsical Star early in the game is good. The Life Capsules are generous enough, too.

1)Comic Sans makes things even worse than you'd think
p363281-0-n7vjby.png

2)If you die in the First cave, you won't be able to move left or right. This bug disappears when you restart, though.

3)Sand Box Zone has no background. Or it has black background.

4)ArmBar's description cuts off suddenly.

5)LazerGun is the best. Weapon. Ever.
Thank you for 120 damage per second.

6)Holy molly, BasketBallos
p363281-1-q28pso.png

7)Good space physics, but...
p363281-2-6m5crt.png

8)The credits crash. Something's either wrong with my computer, or your code...

Overall, an update would be great, but this is not bad, for a first mod.
My thoughts:
1) thanks for the feedback!
2) With number 1 on your list of nitpicks, I made that choice solely for "memes."
3) I'll try to fix some stuff so the mod can be more playable (like with Sand Box Zone when you stick with the Pistol and backtracking and with Nukes. I should probably fix Nukes.)

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
My thoughts:
2) With number 1 on your list of nitpicks, I made that choice solely for "memes."
No, I really don't think you understand what he was trying to say with number 1. The comic sans font is displayed rather awfully in-game because the text gets all spaced out and mushed together.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ohhhh... Oops. Comic Sans is the default font. You can change it if you wish to, using the Config

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ohhhh... Oops. Comic Sans is the default font. You can change it if you wish to, using the Config
That's something you, as a creator, should change. Imagine this: you make a big game with one fatal error. The fans complain about the error, but you don't fix it. You tell them to.

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:22 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
THIS MOD ISN'T QUITE DEAD YET. OwO

Version 1.3.1 is out now! The changelog and download link can be found in the post at the top of this thread.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:36 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
-Ughh stop enabling 3DS HUD. I absolutely cannot use it.

If you have a problem with mods that use it, you know you can just delete one line in a text file to undo the effect.

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:33 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Wassup m'niggas, it's mod hoarder here! Here for another Mod Review® ala Seasons, everyone's favourite
Was that really necessary? Also, it will be never as good as the original if you never accompany your words with pictures.

Aug 18, 2018 at 4:46 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Aug 19, 2018 at 3:08 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Aug 19, 2018 at 7:05 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Okay sure
Wassup m'niggas, it's mod hoarder here! Here for another Mod Review® ala Seasons, everyone's favourite
-Ughh stop enabling 3DS HUD. I absolutely cannot use it.

-The mod icon seems really messed up. Make sure you use icons that are 256x256 for Windows programs.

-"Rant" seems kinda hyperbolic. It was more of a disclaimer, anyway.

-The "HECK" and the "Yes" here don't quite match up...

-Okay that transition scene joke kinda got me. But I still have to watch trough basically the same cut-scene, so.

-Uhh so now bats drop too much wep. NRG and critters have heaps of health. I mean, I commend the gameplay modification, but this is only making it easier. I got lv3 by the end of First Cave and one-shot the eye-door. .3.

-Sofia the who?

-There's a random pebble floating in the air over the water to the left in Mimiga Town here...

-This is not happy music...

-THE RESERVOIR SIGN IS INVISIBLE!!?

-I like this joke in Toroko's dialogue. But it's still too close to vanilla...

-Ahh sorry, I'm so fatigued and I don't see this going anywhere. I might go back to modding.
Some comments:
1. That pebble you're talking about can be interacted with. I know that sounds weird, but it's true.
2. I think I'll lower the amount of XP given by the enemies that give too much of it because B A L A N C E
3. What music are you referring to?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 2:25 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So.... this mod is mostly hot garbage, I want to fix that, but S C H O O L exists and I can't mod at all because I don't have my computer. Hooray!

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:09 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Darude Sandstorm doesn't play in the Sand Box.
I'm disappointed.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:32 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Darude Sandstorm doesn't play in the Sand Box.
I'm disappointed.
If an ORG exists for Darude Sandstorm I can make that a thing... I want to use the least amount of OGGs or other formats possible so as to not make the download size huge

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:31 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If an ORG exists for Darude Sandstorm I can make that a thing...
You may need to ask Polar for it, there is an org version used in the Rave Story Bootleg mod